Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

The PC3s I had could do it to some extent depending on the complexity of the effects involved.

Same. The basic architecture of the boards is the same. Though since the PC4 has 32 fx units instead of the 16 of the PC3, the odds of a combination not transitioning well are reduced. There is still the limitation when switching between KB3 organd an other sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The PC3s I had could do it to some extent depending on the complexity of the effects involved.

Same. The basic architecture of the boards is the same. Though since the PC4 has 32 fx units instead of the 16 of the PC3, the odds of a combination not transitioning well are reduced. There is still the limitation when switching between KB3 organd an other sounds.

Kind of what I expected - thanks for the response!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I have a love-hate relationship with my pc361. It's just a great machine--when it works. The main issue I have had is the screen; it has the flickering issue others also seem to have had, and the tech I took mine to said he's seen the same issue with various Kurzweils over the years, and it requires a new screen (which ain't cheap).

Anyone have thoughts on these new ones and how reliability might go? Obviously time will tell.

I must say though that plastic chassis and wall wart are the two things I hate in my modx7 (though of course it's light! Everything is a compromise, argh!). The pc361 has great build quality, other than apparently the guts of the screen that is.

I absolutely love my PC4 It's powerful - - I got Mine set -up like this guy's got;

Mounting the ribbon controller on the front key slip is a practical solution, but that would favor the use of a thumb rather than index finger. How is that location working out for you when you play, Fuzzy1?

Dennis

To be honest It works like a charm doing pitch bends . I haven't got around to setting the ribbon to split three ways but I think there's possibility's abound here . & I just started to mess with it , I right now messing with the relative & absolute & the spring on & off.

I have a love-hate relationship with my pc361. It's just a great machine--when it works. The main issue I have had is the screen; it has the flickering issue others also seem to have had, and the tech I took mine to said he's seen the same issue with various Kurzweils over the years, and it requires a new screen (which ain't cheap).

Anyone have thoughts on these new ones and how reliability might go? Obviously time will tell.

I must say though that plastic chassis and wall wart are the two things I hate in my modx7 (though of course it's light! Everything is a compromise, argh!). The pc361 has great build quality, other than apparently the guts of the screen that is.

It is possible to solve it. I took the display unit, open it up and solder the tube to the PCB. Not very easy, but possible

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

It is possible to solve it. I took the display unit, open it up and solder the tube to the PCB. Not very easy, but possible

That is good to hear. The tech I had look at mine couldn't find the problem, but he wasn't a certified tech, just an amateur friend of a friend. Not many shops around here and I'm sure it would cost hundreds of $ just to have it looked at again. I only paid 875 used for it so I figured it still can work as a home controller (love the action). Now however I have two keys stuck at 127 velocity, this is probably just the dust/dirt in the contacts...

Anyway, despite my issue I can't help but be interested by Kurzweil, they do a lot of things right.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to spend about 2 hours with one Saturday morning and fell in love with it. Having owned several models of PC3, I was immediately comfortable navigating the PC4. The color screen really brings this powerhouse to life. The screen is smaller than I thought it would be, but crisp and very usable. The UI is slightly different in some respects, but I think the changes are for the better and take proper advantage of the additional real estate. I was prepared not to like the Medeli keybed based on comments I've been reading, but that was one of the highlights for me. It seems like a good compromise between piano and synth - very playable with a nice weight to it. Since I was at Chuck Levin's and they have pretty much one of everything on the floor, I took some time to compare the PC4's keybed to some other boards and I wouldn't rate it anywhere near the bottom of the list - it's certainly far better than the low-end Korg and Yamaha stuff. I also had no trouble triggering aftertouch, but the there's not a lot of travel between a little and a lot of it. Switching between patches and multis is pretty seamless (especially patches). As AnotherScott pointed out, the KB3 mode is a little slower to switch in/out, but it seamed faster than the PC3 and I don't see that an issue given that you can mute and unmute zones in a complex multi to work around that. I was concerned that there were only 2 switch pedal jacks, but they are TRS and with the proper splitter cable, you can plug in up to 4 pedals. One other thing that I really appreciated was the audio input jacks (both a 1/8th and L/R 1/4) - that gives you the ability to run external audio through those Kurzweil effects. And yes, it really is about 28 pounds. I'm definitely picking one up!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Hey Tom - I don't know whether they take trade-ins, but I imagine they do. I'd call ahead to make sure they have it on display and in stock.

I went back yesterday and bought one. One issue I did run into last night was trying to load some of the older patches I have. It's supposed to be mostly compatible with the PC3 and PC3K but I couldn't figure out how to load some of the PC3K-specific sounds. I have all of the Art of Sound synth sounds and the PC3K versions of the sounds are mostly silent (with the exception of about 20 patches). Fortunately when I bought the patches, they also sent me the PC3 versions so I'll try those tonight.

Like its predecessors, it's also picky about USB sticks and I had to try a few before I got something to load from it. The PC4 recognized the files on some of them but it would tell me that the device isn't formatted when I tried to select/load/open them.

Quick update - the PC3 versions of the Art of Sound patches did load and play correctly. Also, a fellow forumite suggested I try changing the extension of some of my .P3K files to .PC3 and that seemed to work as well. The PC4 is doesn't seem to load .P3K stuff directly so that might be a bug. It also doesn't seem to like to load really large backup files from my old PC3, but if I hand-select a smaller number of patches to load at a time, it does work.

Quick update - the PC3 versions of the Art of Sound patches did load and play correctly. Also, a fellow forumite suggested I try changing the extension of some of my .P3K files to .PC3 and that seemed to work as well. The PC4 is doesn't seem to load .P3K stuff directly so that might be a bug. It also doesn't seem to like to load really large backup files from my old PC3, but if I hand-select a smaller number of patches to load at a time, it does work.

I'd report this to Kurzweil. This might be a bug....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 1 month later...
Okay, I"m in. Got a great price, about $1500 new, so couldn"t resist. Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Above all, I was convinced when I read how AnotherScott loves his PC4. In my experience, A/Scott shares the most useful keyboard advice in the entire forum Universe.

Okay, I"m in. Got a great price, about $1500 new, so couldn"t resist. Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Above all, I was convinced when I read how AnotherScott loves his PC4. In my experience, A/Scott shares the most useful keyboard advice in the entire forum Universe.

That's a great price. I'm really enjoying my PC4. If it's not a big no-go on this forum, can I ask where you ordered it from.

Sure, no prob, Felis, I"m quite grateful for the many insights you shared on the Kurzweil PC4.

You and A/Scott even convinced me to get the PC4 instead of Yamaha"s MODX8.

So I kept an eye out for sales in the US and Europe, but most prices remained around $/1999.

Then last week Muziker, a large Eastern European chain, ran a special sale on a lot of stuff. In the Stage Piano section I found the PC4, described as a 'Controller' and priced new at 1424 with more than 10 available.

And for purchases above 999 they added an Orange Crush Mini amp (usually around $70). But I had to be quick, as the sale would only run another day (last Sunday).

I then checked the Kurzweil International Distributors list and saw that Muziker is not only an official Kurzweil reseller, but even a country distributor. So I caved. Two days later (today) I received notice that DPD will deliver both items in three days, free of charge. Not bad at all.

PC4 peeps - hope you're all staying safe, healthy and sane! Got some quarantine goodies for ya: the delayed synth from Fly Like An Eagle and the Rhodes from Frampton Comes Alive. My gift to you!

Just shoot me an email. weiserdav@gmail.com

Quick demos:

https://www.facebook.com/david.weiser.73/videos/10218947881020404/

https://www.facebook.com/david.weiser.73/videos/10218947887380563/

Would they work on an Artis 7?

Nice work...:)

Or on a Forte?

They will not work on an Artis. The synth will work on Forte with a current OS. The EPs will not work in Forte because the EP samples are different. But if you have my custom Forte set, there are already Eps in there that cover this stuff pretty well.

Anyone with a Forte, PC4 or SP6 can feel free to hit me up and I'll send my custom set free of charge, the private reserve stuff that I usually give to my customers.

weiserdav@gmail.com

Cheers, Dave Weiser, you"re a generous man. Should have ordered my PC4 from you.

On another topic, I"m wondering how many competitors include 32-bit DACs for dynamic range. And as far as I know, PC4 is the only Kurzweil that has them. Not even Forte does. Then again, Yamaha"s flagship Genos sports 32-bit DACs.

Cheers, Dave Weiser, you"re a generous man. Should have ordered my PC4 from you.

On another topic, I"m wondering how many competitors include 32-bit DACs for dynamic range. And as far as I know, PC4 is the only Kurzweil that has them. Not even Forte does. Then again, Yamaha"s flagship Genos sports 32-bit DACs.

PC4 and SP6 both have 'em, and they also have slammin' good balanced outputs. Rare to see either of those items in that price range ($1995 and $1495).

The Forte's converters and analog outs are damned good though - I'll eat a bug if anyone can distinguish between PC4's and the Forte's DACs.

Pricing in the US for Kawai, Korg and Yamaha is usually pretty good. Nord tends to be high here compared to selling price in EU.

But things are all bizarre right now. The US dollar is trading at .92 Euro right now. A PC4 from Thommann is $1799 excluding VAT. It sells for $1999 US here.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

PC4 peeps - hope you're all staying safe, healthy and sane! Got some quarantine goodies for ya: the delayed synth from Fly Like An Eagle and the Rhodes from Frampton Comes Alive. My gift to you!

Just shoot me an email. weiserdav@gmail.com

Quick demos:

https://www.facebook.com/david.weiser.73/videos/10218947881020404/

https://www.facebook.com/david.weiser.73/videos/10218947887380563/

Many thanks for your rich 'getting started kit': it is a treasure of patches that demonstrate either the power of PC4 either your generosity.

VR-09, PX5S, VB3, MrRay, Gemini, K2500R, XStation