Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Offline overdubbing/collaboration app-recommendations/ideas?

Inspired by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra"s 'play-from-home' performance of Ode To Joy, my band wants to try something similar. My idea is to lay down a scratch piano+vocal+metronome track to a WAV file, and get everyone else to play along â we"ll then mix the individual tracks to create a complete performance.

However â this has to be simple. Not everyone in the band is running a DAW with an audio interface. However, we all have smartphones. Does anyone know of an app that will:

- Play back a WAV or MP3 file

- While recording a second audio file

- That can be independently exported as WAV or similar (for import into a DAW)

- And keep the two synchronised (sample-accurate?) to facilitate mixdown

This is an offline project â no (doomed-to-failure) attempt at real-time collaboration is required.

Video recording is a bonus, but not essential.

I"ve heard about the trackd app and others, but these seem to be limited to 8-9 tracks, and do not offer individual track export. We will need about 12-16 tracks â we can mix down in Pro Tools or Logic, but not record everyone.

Many thanks for any help/suggestions. (Note: cross-posted to the Keyboard Corner forum).

Cheers, Mike.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Craig we've dived into the Bandlab solution - it looks much easier to use (from the point of view of a conventional recording studio rather than a "loopz'n'beatz produkshun solushun"), and as you say it's iOS+Android+web. My guitarist, by no means tech-savvy, has plugged his audio interface into his laptop and is using the web interface to record his parts. The collaboration features are really strong, although a bit hit-and-miss for some (alto sax can't see the shared project, despite exactly the same setup as the rest of the band).

So it's a big thank you from me so far, and an even bigger one if this comes off.

Cheers, Mike.

• 5 weeks later...

One month on, and it's a big thank you to Craig for the Bandlab suggestion. For a 12-piece outfit, it's a little cramped, but so easy-to-use that we're able to learn and record tracks and collaborate on arrangement and production ideas, without me having to lean over someone's shoulder saying "no, the OK button. That's the button that says OK".

Because of the 12-track limittion, we're having to go old-school tape-style: record rhythm section, bounce down to a stereo pair, overdub vocals and horns. But that's cool.

Cheers, Mike.

In today's spam from Steinberg, they were offering a special on VST Connect. I was curious as to what it was, and it sounds like it might be just the thing for this sort of collaboration. Has anyone here tried it and have some experience to share?

I haven't, but it looks very similar to what digitalmusician.com was doing. DM.com (which involved at least some ex-Steinberg people) closed down a couple years ago; it never got traction. It was one of the flurry of online collaboration sites that never got traction.