Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MODX vs PXS3000 keybed questions

I"m convinced that the Kawai ES110 is by far the nicest gigging digital piano under 27 pounds on the market. Great action, great piano samples , great Rhodes samples, good B3 sample, great Vibes and Bass. Wurlitzer is good.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought should check back in with this as post has been bumped. Its been a fair few months now with the MODX so can reflect a bit further if it helps. I have gigged less than had perhaps anticipated (who hasn't) so its mainly stayed in house. I stand by original view - its a really really FUN machine, I love the functionality (even though have used only a fraction of it), it sounds great pretty much across the board (though it leans a little heavy on dance/EDM side of things). The MIDI setup after the OS update works great and I really love the MIDI in audio as I work with a lot of backing tracks, dont think could give this functionality up in a future board.

However, going back to my original post, theres no doubt the keys/keybed are by far the weakest part of this board. In terms of feel given the number of sounds you can potentially use it for I would say it is OK, but for AP less than ideal. My main gripe is how loud the keys are, I would say I perhaps have a defective unit but my research seems to indicate otherwise. Its so loud, partic on certain keys which have developed lateral movement, that playing without headphones is unpleasant. Gigging would be fine of course, but at home its frustrating to say the least. What makes it worse is that the volume level of all the pianos is so much lower on the MODX than the other sounds - its fixable of course but an odd quirk.

Anyway to summarise - I still love the board, and it always keeps my attention and a smile on my face, particularly on gigs i have done with it. Its just frustrating, with such strong AP sounds how weak its keybed is. Am not sure what my next move would be, theres some stuff on the MODX I could live without in another board if it gave me a better keybed but a lot that would be reluctant to lose. Had high hopes for the RD-88 but remain unconvinced.

Look at that... it wasn't as much of a zombie thread as I had thought!

I was originally torn between a MODX7 and MODX8 until I actually got my hands on the MODX8, and decided the MODX7 was the way to go... but I was not thinking in terms of it being my only board.

Today, if I were looking for a lightweight 88 to be my only board, I'd go with the Kurzweil PC4. But while I think the action feels better than the MODX8, I wouldn't assume everyone else would agree. Getting back to my old post above, I had the opportunity to play a DGX660 with the ostensibly identical (GHS) action to the MODX8, and I thought it felt better than the MODX8 OR the PC4.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I was originally torn between a MODX7 and MODX8 until I actually got my hands on the MODX8, and decided the MODX7 was the way to go... but I was not thinking in terms of it being my only board.

Hey Scott, just wondering what keyboards you"ve paired with your MODX7? Perhaps a weighted action something? I have a MODX7 as well, but largely got it as a lightweight emergency/backup board to toss in the truck (although I"ve also used it for rehearsals). My band had a lot of high profile gigs booked where if one of the keys in my rig took a dive (Kronos 88, JP-80) I could more easily get through the job with the MODX along with the 'surviving' board. Just curious...Thanx.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

...What makes it worse is that the volume level of all the pianos is so much lower on the MODX than the other sounds - its fixable of course but an odd quirk...

I don't own an MODX, but have heard the fix for this piano volume problem is VERY easy.

The problem is that the velocity curve for the piano programs as defaults that you have insufficient velocity response - you never get to the louder layers unless you pound on the keyboard.

Go into your favorite piano patch, edit the velocity response so that your normal playing renders higher velocity values, and you should have a much more satisfying AP experience.

Thanks Tim, had come across that fix previously but appreciate it. Have found it works pretty well on some of the AP sounds but not all, there are also some third party libraries which have a bit more punch. Just an odd quirk on Yamahas part I think.

In hindsight should have gone with the MODX7 and paired it with a weighted DP that could be played standalone with internal speakers. Or if I could find an alternative 88 with the same kind of level of onboard sounds as the MODX and with AD and USB audio in, could stick with a one board setup

Thanks Tim, had come across that fix previously but appreciate it. Have found it works pretty well on some of the AP sounds but not all, there are also some third party libraries which have a bit more punch. Just an odd quirk on Yamahas part I think.

In hindsight should have gone with the MODX7 and paired it with a weighted DP that could be played standalone with internal speakers. Or if I could find an alternative 88 with the same kind of level of onboard sounds as the MODX and with AD and USB audio in, could stick with a one board setup

The new PC4 from Kurzweil might be a viable alternative

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Hey Scott, just wondering what keyboards you"ve paired with your MODX7? Perhaps a weighted action something?

It's been so long since I"ve gigged, I hardly remember! ;-)I know I used different combinations... I had it over an SV1 for a gig or two, but I don't typically gig with that (because of the weight). It was probably mostly over a Casio 88. I think I also used it over a NS3 Compact, trading off the weighted action for the Nord sounds. I might have put it over a Numa Compact 2 as well, for an extraordinarily light and compact combo. I tend to mix things up a lot. ;-) More recently, having acquired the PC4, I'm likely to use the MODX less, because over a PC4, the MODX is largely redundant compared to what I could get from some of my other boards which I think would better complement the PC4. But that's a whole other thread. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think it's a real pity that the modx-8 keybed, and in particular, the key texture, is not fantastic (for me anyway, as a pianist) because the rest of it is brilliant, and great fun (I have the modx7 instead). As the OP said, the digital audio IN (with its own volume control) is very convenient. I've just bought the rd-88 instead as main board. No gigs yet of course, but very happy with the feel and sounds. The digital audio IN is not as useful as on the modx (does not appear to work with iOS - ?perhaps with an update).

I also love the px s3000, with a light hammer keyboard action, and very light itself, but, for me, a real problem with gigging, as the touch buttons seem to fire off just by brushing past them, complete with embarrassing drum machine - have to lock the buttons.