Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Comfort Food" Guitars

KuruPrionz

Okay guys-

Here is my 'comfort food' guitar-but it has an uncomfortable ethical issue attached.

Some years ago, a resident in my building had heard me playing guitar. She said that a friends of hers

had broken up with a partner. He left a guitar at her place. She didn't want his stuff sitting around so the resident

at our building offered to take it. But she didn't play. She asked me if I would like to have it. I said, well I already have

several guitars but I would take a look at it. When she brought it, the strings were like something you would see

lining a prison wall. It was in dire need of cleaning and the neck relief needed adjusting. But it seemed to stay in tune.

It was from a Japanese maker I never heard of.

I said, okay I'll take it. A backup acoustic is not a bad thing. I already had one but, it was developing its own issues,

like a broken internal pickup and a major crack in the body. I did some major cleaning, got a new set of strings and adjusted neck

relief. At the time I noticed something different about it, but didn't give it much thought. Between that time and my friend

asking me to play 'Change the World' so he could sing it to his just-married wife, my suspicions had grown and a quick test by

our mutual good buddy seemed to confirm. At this point, the strings are still a little high near the soundhole but it is definitely playable and has

a chimey, bell-like tone.

Now the issue. The pickguard and truss rod cover were the parts that made me curious. Then I thought, uh oh. Old Japanese guitar company.

Both parts are genuine tortoise shell. Now, I'm pretty sure the CITIES agreement has a clause for instruments made before it was implemented. But

U.S. customs infamously destroyed an antique piano, due to the ivory keys.

I have always been an environmental advocate. I'm also a guitar player. I don't want to give it away, destroying it would not accomplish anything.

For now I'm just enjoying the sound.

[/img]

That appears to be a very well made copy of a Martin D-28, probably a small shop luthier made instrument. Probably sings like a bird if it's been given some serious play time. If not, it will open up if you play it vigorously often for about six months. That can change everything.

I would have the saddle and nut replaced with bone, new frets or level, dress and polish if needed and adjust it for the easiest play.

It would probably be worth the cost of a neck reset if that's what it needs to be a five-star player. Nice one!!! I want it... Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skipclone 1

As far as I can see, the only pianos I could find 'destroyed' because of ivory all seem to have not had the proper paperwork.

So you should be fine as long as you have the guitar"s pickguard & truss rod cover documented.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Thanks Kuru and Danny.

The photo does not show the truss rod cover-I have it but usually leave it off for quick neck adjustments.

I posted about this guitar several years ago-at the time there was not much information about it.

Now I found this-completely surprised:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/uD9JfHSrQEmWqHsQffQ8og

I believe that company is now Kiso guitars.They are an innovative, high end maker.

Here is more-this is looking kind of like real detective work:

https://jedistar.com/kiso-suzuki/

I'm thinking that strings are the ONLY thing I should change.

Now I'm devastated-I had to replace a tuning peg.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The pickguard and truss rod cover were the parts that made me curious. Then I thought, uh oh. Old Japanese guitar company.

Both parts are genuine tortoise shell. Now, I'm pretty sure the CITIES agreement has a clause for instruments made before it was implemented. But

U.S. customs infamously destroyed an antique piano, due to the ivory keys.

I have always been an environmental advocate. I'm also a guitar player. I don't want to give it away, destroying it would not accomplish anything.

For now I'm just enjoying the sound.

[/img]

I agree that destroying the thing would be a waste. Unless you plan on taking it out of the country, just play it and be happy.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Maybe you could find a replacement pickguard Skip? Then make the swap and save the original:

[video:youtube]

:cool:

Be careful, a plastic pickguard is very flexible when new and becomes less so over time.

A tortoiseshell pickguard will be much stiffer to start with and will eventually become brittle.

I think it's best to just leave the guitar as it is. Very few people know much about tortoiseshell, if nobody mentions it they will assume it is plastic. Cheers, Kuru

+1 on just keeping it as is and playing it if you're not leaving the country. I would go for a pick guard change before destroying the guitar. The turtle is not coming back and hopefully many have been born/protected since the ban... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks guys

I have to agree about leaving it as is-I already had to replace a tuning peg. Any further surgery would only

compromise it more. I'm leaning toward getting documentation for it. I'm not planning to stay in Japan forever but, life has shown

a stunning amount of indifference to my plans. Kabuki actors still use hair ornaments made of tortoise shell,

and shell guitar picks are still on store shelves. The most expensive guitar I ever played, had a solid ivory fretboard.

Ideally I hope the whole appeal of this kind of exploitation just goes away. Until then, yeah that's right-I can't bring the tortoise back.

But to the extent that these kinds of products are the result of poaching-don't get me started...

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• 4 weeks later...
I like too many models, but tend to gig with Strat-inspired things. I try to have a humbucker along for certain songs, be it my V, LP, or ES, but typically the Strat variant gets played the most.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I like too many models, but tend to gig with Strat-inspired things. I try to have a humbucker along for certain songs, be it my V, LP, or ES, but typically the Strat variant gets played the most.

I am a Strat player for gigs too. I use EMG SA pickups and an RPC which boosts the mids and the overall volume. It probably sounds more like a Gibson than a Fender.

Our lead singer is fine strummer and plays acoustic guitar so I go with something a bit thicker sounding since the chimey is already happening.

Pretty rare I bring more than one guitar but I use lockng tuners and changing a string is very fast. Not much else goes wrong since I play often so the guitar I play that evening probably got a spin that afternoon and certainly the day before.

• 3 months later...

Follow-up!!!

Yesterday I went through my dolphin nose U-1, the guitar I posted in the OP.

I cleaned the electronics, leveled, crowned and polished the frets, lubricated the tuners, swapped out a few parts for better condition original Dano/Silvertone parts, cut the pickguard underlay and got it up and running. I have the original aluminum nut but I made a bone nut for a different Silvertone years ago so I swapped that in. Looking awesome, the guitar of my 7 year old dreams.

It plays and sounds sweet! Photos attached.

1327.thumb.jpg.c5f0627b08dc7a438b7c466ccbe1935d.jpg

1328.thumb.jpg.f6068fc85a86f5467c33e7920efa698c.jpg