Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last Stop of the Rio Grande - night photo

49754269486_a831b28ca9_b.jpg

Last Stop of the Rio Grande (1822)

~~~~~

Night photo showing the movement of the stars in this long exposure photo. As a small child, one of the first words I liked to say was "choo choo train". I loved trains so much as a four year old, my grandmother used to take me to the rail yard in Skokie, Illinois to watch the trains come in. Having the opportunity to photograph them at night feels so special to me. This is a view of the night stars streaking over a 1920s Rio Grande dinner car which had an air conditioning unit with an ice system. Built by American Car and Foundry for The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad in 1927, the "Castle Peak" was one of four cars built concurrently, named for famous "Peaks" along the route of the D&RGW. This car was used until the late 1960s, and has been resting under the stars of the Mojave for decades. Back in the distance is a Union Pacific railcar. I lit the dinner car with warm white light from a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device during the exposure, while the light of the car in the distance were already on. Also, I know that some of you know where this is, but I was asked not to reveal the location because they don't want too much publicity. Thanks for your respect and kindness. This might appear in my second book of night photography images, which the publisher hopes to release later this year.

~~~~~

Pentax K-1/15-30mm f/2.8 lens.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely! You are creating beautiful images.

I'm finally starting to photograph little things I find interesting again.

It's been a while, the camera has been a tool for commerce and nothing more for quite a while now.

If I create something I like, I will post it. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really glad to hear that you are finding interesting things to photograph again. It's all about the inspiration. And sometimes, when I have other things on my mind but am already far away from home on a night photo shoot, I bust out the fisheye for some general weirdness, and that usually gets me going. That or thinking of really strange angles.

But yes, please please post if you come up with anything!