Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Virtual Happy Hour/WWKCFH - Friday May 1, 6pm ET

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I of course have just logged in and realised it's not until tomorrow :wave:

Come join me David - We will dial in from the mysterious future on Saturday!

Sounds like a plan but the challenge will be waking up at the same time two days in a row :D

as long as you guys don't mind a guy who no longer plays keys in clubs.

Coincidentally, this meeting is ONLY for people who no longer play keys in clubs.

I think that would be almost all of us right now. Except maybe Josh Paxton who I just saw yesterday do a live set from Booker's Back Bar at the Maple Leaf in New Orleans.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have invited a few cats who sometimes make appearances around here that (IMNSHO) we don't see enough of or might not have seen this thread, so hopefully they will make it.

I also let Tom (ITGITC) know about it and asked him to invite others including what's-his-name and whosa-wotsa.

:w00t::keynana::w00t:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

HoBoy HoBoy HoBoy!!!! :keynana:

Got your message, Joe!

I'm looking forward to partying with you all later today!

ITGITC? :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Last call!

Not really, we haven't even started the party. :D But I wanted to bump this thread and let anyone here know they are invited to join us. The info is above in Sam's post. Even if you just want to hang and lurk, you're welcome to just show your face (literally) and listen to us blab about whatever. You don't have to have been with us last time, you don't have to show up at the start, you don't have to stay until the end. It's just like a real party. Come when you can, stay as long as you like. It's just good to see each other. Please join us!.

P.S. Definitely BYOB if you want some. My arms aren't long enough. Sorry.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's the Zoom join link! Those of you joining us who have had the luxury (?) of not needing to use Zoom before, clicking this link should prompt you to download the application. You may want to do a test run (I've set the meeting up so you can join anytime).

You will also need a password to enter the meeting. As it was last time, the password is "Nord Lead," one word, capital N and L, and instead of the letter O, the numeral zero. That's to keep the riff-raff out. [wink]

https://cornell.zoom.us/j/92065185969

I'll post this again tomorrow before the meeting. See y'all then!

Yes, and here is the info again so y'all don't have to scroll back and find it! I'll see many of you soon.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Me, Theo, and "peter" (El Lobo) are on right now. I have video and audio muted but will turn it on when things get interesting. I did see lots of gear at Theo's as he walked around with whatever his camera is

And now Sam is here!

Thanks again all for a really interesting chat. It was really nice to put some more faces to names. And as always, thanks to Joe and Sam for organising.

Thought I'd share the picture I took of us all together - I used it to rouse David Holloway from his slumber (looked to me like he might have chucked his swag in the long paddock).

954.thumb.jpg.9f5ea8e3ac715a11e331662d54236207.jpg

I don't know what I did wrong. On my phone app I tapped "Join a Meeting" then "Join with a personal link name" with the password but then kept getting "this meeting name is not valid." Maybe next time if I can figure this out - I've only used Zoom once before and that was for a family chat set up by my son, so I'm not fluent in Zoom.

Thanks again all for a really interesting chat. It was really nice to put some more faces to names. And as always, thanks to Joe and Sam for organising.

Thought I'd share the picture I took of us all together - I used it to rouse David Holloway from his slumber (looked to me like he might have chucked his swag in the long paddock).

I was NOT asleep! I just hadn't motivated myself to get out of bed yet :D

Fun backgrounds â I had to vacate Abbey Road â Paul was "knockin at the door." :laugh:

Cool to see some faces from early KC years I hadn't met.

Joe & Sam â thanks for organizing another great hang and see you next time.

Here for the gear.

I was NOT asleep! I just hadn't motivated myself to get out of bed yet :D

were this chat at 9 AM local time to me I would not be a participant, so no worries my brother. :)

;):thu:

I don't know what I did wrong. On my phone app I tapped "Join a Meeting" then "Join with a personal link name" with the password but then kept getting "this meeting name is not valid." Maybe next time if I can figure this out - I've only used Zoom once before and that was for a family chat set up by my son, so I'm not fluent in Zoom.

I experienced similar problems, but fortunately I allowed a chunk of time to practice trying to get into the zoom room earlier in the day. (Fortunately there were several French windows in my skeletal diary....) . It took me about 1/2 hour to get it to work. I found that it only worked if I went directly from the link in the thread. Attempting to go via the actual zoom app - which seemed to be the obvious thing to try - never worked. Had to go through some sort of downloading rigamarole every time and had to be careful with the password (all one word etc. )

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Many thanks for organising it Joe and Sam. It was so nice to see you guys and put faces to names. The best bit was definitely the backdrops. I had not attended a zoom meeting before and had no idea that they were an option. Initially I did not realise what was going on, and kept thinking what remarkable places and houses all the KC people lived in.... :D
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Too much fun!

I too appreciate Sam and Joe putting this together!

I am always impressed by the level of talent we have assembled. It shone brightly yesterday when the topic of famous, and infamous, synths was broached. We got down to the level of talking about digital oscillators vs. analog. We talked about envelope generators and the lack of quickness in the attack of some (Oberheim). We discussed crappy VCFs and how some manufacturers would bury their head in shame if the model name was spoken at NAMM. It amazes me the knowledge that was exhibited by those who have been in the industry most of their life.

The Zoom meetings get me a bit antsy, so I took my laptop outside - just for a change. After standing for awhile, I finally got kinda comfortable at our table on the deck. Lots of trees around me and the birds were in full chorus. I later realized I couldn't hear you all or see the screen very well, so I came back inside.

Because we are not physically together in a bar or restaurant, when folks stop talking and everyone's mic is muted, there is total silence. This is disconcerting. There needs to be a soundtrack playing in the background of glasses clinking, waitresses asking if I want another drink, and guys getting their face slapped and being told "NO! ...SIX FEET MISTER!". :blush:

We should give J.Dan a prize for coming out with the most toys. OTOH, quite a few guys found a Casio synth in their back pocket. I wonder if, like a cellphone, it lives in their back pockets (or are they just happy to see me?) How many keyboards and gadgets do you guys OWN? Checking out DB's house, I'd say he owns a gazillion - plus guitars and recording equipment... (Of COURSE he does, right?) :thu:

I really enjoy hearing the accents from my friends in the UK and Australia. I had to warn xKnuckles that some of the folks at the party spoke with a grand US Southern accent and not to be alarmed. I don't think it helped. She later said that trying to maintain proper decorum with you guys was like herding cats. I don't know what all they do for fun in the UK. I imagine herding cats is a well-honed pastime. One day, I warned, I will come visit and see for myself.

Many thanks to all of you who stayed up way past your bedtime, or got up extra early to participate in this party. I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me. Maybe we can get together one more time, as I think some of you were holding back revealing your double-secret sordid NAMM stories. :o I tried to wait you out, but just couldn't hang. Oh, and it was nice not having to worry about a DUI on my travels back to my bedroom.

Stay safe!

ITGITC? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi guys - sorry, sorry, sorry.

Despite being Labor Day, I worked all day, and I had had almost no sleep all week. (the lack of exercise having its effects)

I was knackered, but I was really looking forward to the meeting - I prepared extra coffee with that purpose. :)

But at about 11.30 I just collapsed in my armchair and fell asleep. I woke up around 2am, and I had barely the energy to transfer the old body into bed.

I'm used to staying up until small hours (it's in my name after all! :D )... but this time, the physical needs have taken over.

Looks like you have had quite a good time; I really regret not having been there to share the fun. Next time.

I really enjoyed the hang last night! Thanks to Joe and Sam for hosting it! Great seeing everyone - catching up with some longtime friends and meeting some new ones.

Let's do it again soon!

Thanks,

Eric