Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer UB-Xa ship dates keep slipping

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"A Labour of Love" getting behind schedule? Who woulda thunk.

Interesting Uli didn't post his invitation to provide ongoing input into its development here.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• 2 years later...

My apologies. I haven't been exerting myself. We haven't even gotten past the first page, much less to page 3. I shall redouble my efforts.

Actually I've been waiting for the 2600 clone which will supposedly be in production by April or thereabouts.

Until it begins slipping too...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Grey

Has Uli given even a HINT of the MAP Price on the UB-Xa?

Ball Park?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm not worried... the Model D was delayed several times. I'm pretty sure that the UB-Xa will come out eventually. They have undertaken a huge productive effort with these clones, and they were able to deliver a dozen already. Very curious to know about the sound, the price, and the "extra features" there are talking about.

If they really aren't putting any fx on this thing, I may have to pass. I'd be using it for live and while I don't tend to use tons of reverb (especially if the place is a live one with wood floors etc) I do use some. Just don't understand the mentality, as it can't be that expensive or difficult to put the deepmind reverb or some other chip in there. It seems to be a philosophical "the original didn't have it" purist thing with him, which is unfortunate for my use case....

Some things to keep in mind. Those of us that owned those synths back in the dark ages had rack or floor based FX. It was not common for analog synths to have FX. I prefer to add my own FX if I want to add it. I wouldn't want a cheesy reverb put on a synth, pay the addition cost for the Mfg adding it. FX on any synth is not a deal breaker unless you don't have any other equipment.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Some things to keep in mind. Those of us that owned those synths back in the dark ages had rack or floor based FX. It was not common for analog synths to have FX. I prefer to add my own FX if I want to add it. I wouldn't want a cheesy reverb put on a synth, pay the addition cost for the Mfg adding it. FX on any synth is not a deal breaker unless you don't have any other equipment.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Mike T.

Correct, my synths back then didn't have them...but I sorely wished they did! I agree that cheesy reverb sucks, but there's no reason it has to be cheesy these days or costly.

It is a deal breaker for me at least. I don't have any other equipment; not because I can't afford it, but because I don't want to set up an external send and bring more stuff. But I expect they know their market better than I do. I'd argue that whatever the fx cost, you'd sell more of them to people that don't know any better when they hear a nice verbed out preset vs a dry one. That wouldn't be people on this forum so much. There's no synth ever made that sounds very good dry.

• 3 months later...

'UB-Xa Update.

We're proud to show you another big milestone in the development of the UB-Xa since we have just assembled what we call the "Tool Made Sample".

The TMS milestone means that the design and all mechanical parts are all tooled and final - in short this is how the unit will look like. As you will notice, lots of changes and improvements have been made since the first prototype - many of which have come from you. Thank you for all your valuable input.

However, we're still quite some time away from delivering the synthesizer as the firmware development is still ongoing. The UB-Xa is a very complex unit and frankly much has slowed down due to the current situation.

Thank you for all your patience - we promise that it'll be worth the wait:-)

Be safe!

Uli'

951.thumb.jpg.76af2619398eed87b62615a4d0f7c9aa.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hell, no one has even mentioned the ARP 2600--it was supposed to be released this month. What with the virus and all, it'll probably be next year before it's out.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

There's no synth ever made that sounds very good dry.

I beg to differ. I've been playing synths since the late 1970s, and when I audition a synth at a store I test it dry.

I do too. I want to know that the basic sound of the thing is solid, and most patches overdo the fx...but that totally dry patch is not a sound I would use in a mix or want people to hear as-is. By the same token most records don't use a totally dry vocal track even if the singer is great....always exceptions to that of course.

I will admit that for most of my live gigs, I at least turn down the reverb or turn it off since the rooms tend to be quite reflective. So in a sense that defeats my argument since I'd be using this live :D

After that big long Behringer thread about their practices, I'm no longer interested in their products in any case. That was pretty educational IMO.

I only read articles related to Behringer sparingly. I like to know where the market is going overall, but after Uli's last snit-fit, I look on his product line with suspicion. Besides, its more nostalgia than need when I look at clones. Would a seriously updated MODERN "OB-X" be desirable? Yeah. I think its called an OB-6.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I only read articles related to Behringer sparingly. I like to know where the market is going overall, but after Uli's last snit-fit, I look on his product line with suspicion. Besides, its more nostalgia than need when I look at clones. Would a seriously updated MODERN "OB-X" be desirable? Yeah. I think its called an OB-6.

The OB6 is close to the original sound, with some added features that are not on the originals. The only sound that apparently falls a bit short are the harmonics when using Sample/hold Filter. But Musically, its as good as its going to get. Some Players what an EXACT replica of the original and I say I don't want all the limitations of a KB made back in the Seventies. I want NEW features and more of everything they can provide.

Its too bad that OB6 is $3000 or I would have one. Not because its not worth it, its because I can't afford to buy one, or much of anything. Once you're over 70 getting any kind of a decent paying job in a country that shipped most of our jobs overseas leaves us old people with crumbs. :P

Once you're over 70 getting any kind of a decent paying job in a country that shipped most of our jobs overseas leaves us old people with crumbs.

please list examples of countries where you can get a decent paying job when one has passed the age of 70. I want to make plans to live there.

:nopity:

The OB6 is close to the original sound, with some added features that are not on the originals.

Having owned an OB-X, an OB-Xa and an Xpander as well as having worked with a Two-Voice I"d say my OB6 is definitely part of the OB family. I love it!!! The only two things lacking for me are two more voices and one more octave. This can be easily remedied in the studio, but if I were to bring an analog poly live I"d love to have 61 keys and 8 voices. It just matches how I think when I approach a poly analog.

The OB6 is close to the original sound, with some added features that are not on the originals.

Having owned an OB-X, an OB-Xa and an Xpander as well as having worked with a Two-Voice I"d say my OB6 is definitely part of the OB family. I love it!!! The only two things lacking for me are two more voices and one more octave. This can be easily remedied in the studio, but if I were to bring an analog poly live I"d love to have 61 keys and 8 voices. It just matches how I think when I approach a poly analog.

I owned an OBX 6 voice, and later an OBXa 8 voice back in the dark ages too. I never owned an Xpander. 61 keys certainly can be an advantage. The most recent 2nd KB I used in my live Classic Rock show was a 4 octave Alesis ION, which has split KB and sounds capability. Lighter, smaller, and less expensive. Of course, it doesn't sound anywhere near as FAT as an Oberheim.