Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Livestreaming and DAWs

Hey all, I just tried to do my first livestream on YouTube (unlisted for my Patreon people) and it crashed and burned mightily. I was trying to play along to some backing tracks in Logic. I got the audio sorted out:

Logic Pro X & MacBook internal mic â Loopback â Streamlabs

Once I FINALLY got the video to work (I don't really understand how YouTube and Streamlabs talk to each other and it drove me nuts, Streamlabs would create a public link and YouTube would just hang), I switched over to Logic and I got the dreaded "error synchronizing Audio & MIDI" â except there was no MIDI, it's the Logic version of Pro Tools crapping out. So this leads me to believe that I can't run Logic on the same computer that is livestreaming (though I had no trouble doing this over Zoom two hours ago).

- Any tips on getting Streamlabs & YouTube to play nice with Logic and Loopback?

- If I can't stream video from the same computer that is handling audio, what's the best way to get my high-quality audio into my other streaming computer/device?

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I am unfamiliar with most of your software.

What are your bit depth and sample frequncies set for in Logic?

It may be higher than other programs can deal iwth.

This much, I do know. YouTube is not famous for hosting high-quality audio. Maybe google their codecs and see what they typically are running.

If you are higher than that they will crunch it down and may not do a better job than you can.

If you are much higher than that it could be why it crashes - tiny little brain won't go.

I'll be checking in on this thread, it's a topic I want to learn much more about. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

- If I can't stream video from the same computer that is handling audio, what's the best way to get my high-quality audio into my other streaming computer/device?

Some ideas:

#1 Use an audio interface to get your Logic audio to the streaming computer. Insert a mixer for a more flexible setup.

#2 Use a video capture device to get your Logic video to the streaming computer. This will act like a multi-camera setup and carries both audio and video. If the HDMI audio is not good enough - create a separate audio mix - like idea #1.

Video Capture Devices

El Gato offers several HDMI to USB devices for US$100-US$200. (Click here for the simplest one). They also have capture devices for videogamers - which allow for live commentary. (Click here for one of those devices.)

Many serious podcasters use the Blackmagic ATEM Mini (video switcher+ 2-channel audio interface) - retails for about US$300.

From speaking to some colleagues, it seems like running Logic and Streamlabs OBS is CPU overkill. Possible fixes:

- send Nord signal from MOTU CueMix, bypassing Logic

- run backing tracks from iTunes or QuickTime, bypassing Logic

If those two things fail then I will have to get one of those Magewell or Atem Mini switchers/HDMI capture thingies... I was hoping to do this with the gear I already have instead of a) spending money I'm not making back currently; b) giving more money to Amazon; c) overwhelming the delivery system with non-essential items.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I've been using OBS, which is open-source and therefore the "ultimate price" (free), for my livestreams, and I've been successful with both Facebook Live and YouTube. However, while I am using an outboard mixer and an interface, I'm not doing any additional audio processing or software instruments within my computer. OBS is a little bit of a head scratcher too, but if you can't figure out the source of your issue, it might be worth trying that to see if you get the same issues or not.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.