Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Gifts for Drummers

Hello. My brother plays drums (he is not a professional) and has a birthday coming up. I'm looking for ideas for gifts. Anyone have any cool or unusual gifts a drummer might enjoy? He doesn't really study his instrument on his own, so drum instructional vids sit unused.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy up in Montreal hosted me for the weekend once and I brought my Mojo 61 up (as I drove from Maine) so we could jam for 5 hours or so over the weekend... He's a drummer, and divorced (and half my age); so anyway, I got him some "drummer" t-shirts from ebay saying things like: "I Can't Keep Calm, I'm a Drummer!" and "I'm a Drummer: I Like to Bang!" (and his really cute girlfriend liked it and hugged me over that one!). There's more drumming designs on there too in a variety of colors.

And the day before that when I saw him at a trade show in Montreal we were both exhibiting at, I'd bought him a pair of LED color-changing drum sticks that randomly changed colors as they were hit -- he drummed with them in his booth when no attendees were in the exhibit hall (I have to admit, for just $20 -- they were really cool!). Now he uses them to start off his drum solo with the stage lights off, but he has to switch over to real sticks as his solo really takes off.

Maybe band t-shirts that feature his favorite drummers too.

Hope these ideas help.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

A drummer I work with unabashedly tells everyone the favourite part of his kit is his drinks caddy.

This thingie?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/swirlygig-swirlybigger-microphone-stand-drink-holder

It's genius. Our drummer figured out how to put one on his high hat stand. I've got one on my mic stand, it is one of my favorite pieces of gig gear. Zero moving parts and it just works.

OP, I recently found a nice plastic water bottle - hand selected for tone. Extra bonus features include a handle so you can add a strap and play standing up AND a flat side so you can sit in a chair and play it.

I measured a mic with a tapered handle and a small enough head to fit in the spout opening (EV ND767) cut a hole in the side and pulled it into place with a mic cable. Then I sealed it with silicone gasket sealer.

The bottom (hangs on the right side) is a great sounding kick and the upper rim at the point it starts to taper to the spout has a nice high snap tone to it. It weighs nearly nothing.

So you can hang it in front of you with a strap, plug in the mic, roll back some of the mids and it will keep up with any cajon but is much more comfortable and fun to play.

It would be a great gift for a drummer. I am keeping this one, it's too much fun!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Depending on the budget you've got in mind and what your brother already has, a few other ideas:

-An auxiliary cymbal such as a splash, stack, or bell

-A stick bag, hardware bag or drum case

-A nice metronome

-A pair of those Vic Firth drum cans

-A cool pair of sticks/brushes/blast sticks

-A lifetime supply of drum keys (scratch that, you probably can't afford it... :poke:;) )

Hello. My brother plays drums (he is not a professional) and has a birthday coming up. I'm looking for ideas for gifts. Anyone have any cool or unusual gifts a drummer might enjoy? He doesn't really study his instrument on his own, so drum instructional vids sit unused.

So.... boy 'o boy that last sentence. :confused: Perhaps a cool gift would be - once the pandemic has abated - to take him to see a band with a great drummer and get him some inspiration.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

A drummer I work with unabashedly tells everyone the favourite part of his kit is his drinks caddy.

This thingie?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/swirlygig-swirlybigger-microphone-stand-drink-holder

Similar idea but his is custom designed for drummers, made of wood and has multiple holders. Here are a couple of screen captures of videos where you can see it behind him. From memory it has some kind of special attachment so it can be easily clamped onto his stands.

941.png.7182ab5f5ff4a3e530fe31c490e0b672.png

942.png.f40686898ed2ecad92c963f91b293ef2.png

How about a set of these? Depending upon budget, you can just get him the sticks or the sticks and a beater. There used to be a company called Lidwish that made a similar product, but their website doesn't appear to be active anymore.

Adoro Silent Sticks

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Does he enjoy noodling around, in the musician sense? If so, here are some things I enjoy in the percussion department:

• Djembe -- I have a "real" one I picked up in Africa a long time ago, but I also have a used Remo fiberglass djembe I got off of CL more recently. It has a nice sound, weighs nothing, and is not bothered by occasional water spills. Djembes have two or three (or more) different pitches they will sound, depending on where you hit the head, so one djembe can sit in for a pair of congas or even a drum set in small jam situations. Cost, ~$75 used.
  • Doumbek -- a drummer friend of mine has one (or more?) of these. Think of it as a baby djembe, middle eastern rather than African, higher pitch, but still two or three sounds. Some as low as $20 at GC.
  • Cajon -- a wooden box upon which the player sits, with snares asymmetrically mounted inside, allowing you to hit in one area for a woody tomtom or bass drum, hit another area for snare-ish sound, and optionally hit loosely bolted upper corners for a snapping sound. like the above, it can be used as a drum kit in small jams. Price as low as $50 for a build-it-yourself kit, brand new.

With a little luck, these may encourage him to exercise his mental drumming chops even when he doesn't feel like outright practicing.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361