Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reverse Piano Samples

I am trying to recreate the "reverse piano" sound used in "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen. I have the following VST samplers: Kontakt (paid), SampleTank, Structure, TAL-Sampler, and Arturia CMI V. Can anyone point me to a source for reverse acoustic piano samples (not loops) that are playable on a MIDI keyboard?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the full version of Kontakt, it does come with some piano libraries.

Play the chord you need, or the pitch(es) you need and print to a track in your daw. Personally, I would just play the chord you need so you can trigger the sample with one key.

Load the wavs you need back into a new Kontakt instrument and reverse the samples playback direction.

Assign to the keys you need and trigger it.

How to create sample instruments in Kotakt

How to reverse sample playback in Kontakt

Alternatively and much easier - just rip the queen track and cut up the area you need.

Create a new Kontakt instrument, load up the sample and trigger it from the key you want to assign it to. Or if you have pads, assign it to a pad.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Play the chord you need, or the pitch(es) you need and print to a track in your daw. Load the wavs you need back into a new Kontakt instrument and reverse the samples playback direction.

Assign to the keys you need and trigger it.

I don't use a DAW. I run Gig Performer as a VST host for Kontakt and other plugin instruments for live performance. Is there a way to unload and reload the samples without a DAW?

Aw memories of the old days where we'd just flip the tape over and bounce the track to another to get the reverse track. Or flip over and just record the reverb returns to another track so the reverb would suck into the hit. Or one nightmare where the count off to a tune got cut off by someone, so we flipped the tape over and had the drummer click his sticks and recorded that past the start so we had now had a count in for doing overdubs. The fun part was figuring out if source was track X and Y when tape is flipped over what tracks would they be now.

Aw fun in the Jurassic age of recording.

I did that song in my old band, using the Alesis Fusion at the time. I just played a piano and sampled it, and hit "reverse" in the sample editor. Done.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm sure you can do this is any DAW. In Logic, this is what you do.

1) Record Piano using your favourite software instrument.

2) Bounce in place (Ctrl B)

3) In audio editor, select 'Reverse'. Voila!

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I remember years ago, the band decided to try Roundabout. I said 'Hang on a moment', then hit a big E minor chord, recorded and reversed it in about 20 seconds' time. Then told the band 'OK, I'm ready!' This was back during the ASR-10 days.

I ended up creating my own reverse piano samples using Modartt's Pianoteq Steinway B. Here is how I did it without a DAW (because I don't own one...). I used Gig Performer, a VST host that runs on both Windows and Mac platforms (https://gigperformer.com/).

1. Record Pianoteq Steinway B samples at octave intervals using MeldaProduction's MRecorder plugin (https://www.meldaproduction.com/MRecorder), which creates 24-bit WAV files.

2. Trim and reverse the WAV files using Audacity (https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/).

3. Create a new empty instrument in Kontakt (paid version) and load the WAV files using the Mapping Editor.

This process worked beautifully and gave me pristine, customized reverse acoustic piano samples.

EDIT: Whoops just re-read your earlier post, you already found Audacity - my excuse is only 1 coffee so far - not fully awake yet........

Another way to do it for any others who are 'DAWless' amongst us, is by installing Audacity > https://www.audacityteam.org/ this is a free donationware audio editor .

This manual page gives the easy method to reverse the selected audio > https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/reverse.html

Cheers.