Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond setlist help

Hi all,

I've had a Hammond SK2 for a few years now but between work, family and a tonne of other stuff I've never been able to delve into it, until now that is. With the Coronavirus most of my work is gone for a few months and Im looking after the kids at home. The upshot is I get a couple of hours a day free when my wife takes over the parenting and I've started woodshedding the Hammond.

Im hoping to get 20-30 tunes together so I can get a trio to play live, hammond, drums and guitar or Hammond, drums, sax. No pedals yet, just LH bass. This would be a gig for the soul rather than the money obviously as I need something more challenging than what I've been playing over the last number of years. The plan is to get a tune with all solos learned per week and I've got three down already, "Did you hear him holler?" Joey de Francisco, "Mona Lisa" Tony Monaco and "The Cat" , Jimmy Smith. I'm hoping to look for a good cross section of tunes that represent the Hammond in terms of sound (squabbling, percussive, etc) as well as styles (standard swing, ballads, latin). Would any of you have suggestions for some good tunes that might fit the bill? Thanks for taking the time to read.

Dockeys

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The plan is to get a tune with all solos learned per week

Dockeys

So the plan is to learn the solos these artists improvised on the original recordings, and reproduce them live? Instead of playing their solos, why not learn the heads/changes and then improvise your own solos? That certainly would give you more of the creative challenge you"re looking for, and would allow these learnt tunes to develop as you develop as a player. It"s important to learn the note for note leads of the greats, for sure, but don"t neglect developing your own voice and abilities as an improviser.

Charlie Earland wasn't a great player, but he surrounded himself with great sidemen and picked popular tunes. "More today than Yesterday" is a staple. LIsten to Groove Holmes "Misty" and "Halleluijah I love her so". Joey D. has tons of arrangements you can find on YouTube. Almost any standard can be Hammonized to your taste. Get comfortable with the rig first, and there's no limit to what you'll find adaptable to trio or big band jazz. My favorite influence was Wild Bill Davis who preceded James Oscar Smith and got the nickname by imitating big bands. Look up his You Tube with Duke Ellington's big band for "Satin Doll" As if a Hammond and a big band weren't enough, the final choruses by Cat Anderson (especially on the 70th Birthday album) were truly legendary.

Every song on a Hammond is good for the soul.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

. It"s important to learn the note for note leads of the greats, for sure, but don"t neglect developing your own voice and abilities as an improviser.

I agree Mike. I"m only getting a feel for the Hammond as I"m a piano player by trade so i felt it necessary to learn the solos as well as the head. I"m learning as much about texture, drawbar settings and voicing from the solos but ultimately I"m planning to draw upon them as a backup in case i run out of my own ideas. Using them as a bag of tricks if you will to draw a upon, Imitate, assimilate, innovate as a teacher told me years ago.

Charlie Earland wasn't a great player, but he surrounded himself with great sidemen and picked popular tunes. "More today than Yesterday" is a staple. LIsten to Groove Holmes "Misty" and "Halleluijah I love her so". Joey D. has tons of arrangements you can find on YouTube. Almost any standard can be Hammonized to your taste. Get comfortable with the rig first, and there's no limit to what you'll find adaptable to trio or big band jazz. My favorite influence was Wild Bill Davis who preceded James Oscar Smith and got the nickname by imitating big bands. Look up his You Tube with Duke Ellington's big band for "Satin Doll" As if a Hammond and a big band weren't enough, the final choruses by Cat Anderson (especially on the 70th Birthday album) were truly legendary.

Every song on a Hammond is good for the soul.

Jake

These are great pointers Jake, i really appreciate you taking the time to share these and especially the specific tunes for those artists. This is going to be a lifelong learning experience for me as theres so much variation in terms of tone and textures with the organ not to mention styles that I"m really excited about the whole thing. Many thanks again.

Here are some tunes that work well in an organ trio.

- Alligator Boogaloo (Lou Donaldson)

[Lonnie Smith]

- Autumn Leaves (Joseph Kosma)

[Eddy Louiss]

- Back at the Chicken Shack (Jimmy Smith)

- Blues for J (Jimmy Smith)

- Carrot Cake (Peter Bernstein)

[Larry Goldings]

- Chitlins Con Carne (Kenny Burrell)

- Dragonfly (Peter Bernstein)

[Larry Goldings]

- Green Onions (Booker T & the MGs)

- Jeep on 35 (John Scofield)

[John Scofield w. Medeski, Martin & Wood]

- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Joe Zawinul)

[Mick Weaver]

- Mixed Message (Larry Goldings)

- Midnight Blue (Kenny Burrell)

- Moanin' (Bobby Timmons)

[Joey de Francesco]

- Molto Molto (Larry Goldings)

- Play It Back (Lonnie Smith)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2H9PGxilyM [iron City]

- Return of the Prodigal Son (Harold Ousley)

[George Benson w. Lonnie Smith]

- Road Song (aka "OGD") (Wes Montgomery)

[Jimmy Smith w. Wes Montgomery]

- Satin Doll (Duke Ellington)

[Jimmy Smith w. Kenny Burrell]

- Summer Samba (Marcos Valle)

[Walter Wanderley}

- The Cat (Lalo Schifrin)

[Jimmy Smith]

- West LA Fadeaway (Jerry Garcia)

[OJT]

- Yaya & Kiwi (John Arman)

I have lead sheets for most of these.

Here are some tunes that work well in an organ trio.

- Alligator Boogaloo (Lou Donaldson)

[Lonnie Smith]

- Autumn Leaves (Joseph Kosma)

[Eddy Louiss]

- Back at the Chicken Shack (Jimmy Smith)

- Blues for J (Jimmy Smith)

- Carrot Cake (Peter Bernstein)

[Larry Goldings]

- Chitlins Con Carne (Kenny Burrell)

- Dragonfly (Peter Bernstein)

[Larry Goldings]

- Green Onions (Booker T & the MGs)

- Jeep on 35 (John Scofield)

[John Scofield w. Medeski, Martin & Wood]

- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Joe Zawinul)

[Mick Weaver]

- Mixed Message (Larry Goldings)

- Midnight Blue (Kenny Burrell)

- Moanin' (Bobby Timmons)

[Joey de Francesco]

- Molto Molto (Larry Goldings)

- Play It Back (Lonnie Smith)

]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2H9PGxilyM [iron City]

- Return of the Prodigal Son (Harold Ousley)

[George Benson w. Lonnie Smith]

- Road Song (aka "OGD") (Wes Montgomery)

[Jimmy Smith w. Wes Montgomery]

- Satin Doll (Duke Ellington)

[Jimmy Smith w. Kenny Burrell]

- Summer Samba (Marcos Valle)

[Walter Wanderley}

- The Cat (Lalo Schifrin)

[Jimmy Smith]

- West LA Fadeaway (Jerry Garcia)

[OJT]

- Yaya & Kiwi (John Arman)

I have lead sheets for most of these.

Wow Paul this is an amazing list. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these!

Here's some stuff on the more funky New Orleansy side that I am playing currently with one of my instrumental bands:

- Steppin' (Soulive)

- So Live! (Soulive)

- Baby Goats (Will Bernard w John Medeski)

https://andyhess.com/track/145813/baby-goats-will-bernard-john-medeski

- Chubb Subb (Medeski Martin & Wood)

- Squash Blossom (Stanton Moore)

- Dunkin in the Deep (Stanton Moore)

Maple Plank (Stanton Moore)

Root Cellar (Stanton Moore)

Kool (John Scofield w Larry Goldings)

Hottentot (John Scofield)

Moe

---

Here's some stuff on the more funky New Orleansy side that I am playing currently with one of my instrumental bands:

- Steppin' (Soulive)

- So Live! (Soulive)

- Baby Goats (Will Bernard w John Medeski)

https://andyhess.com/track/145813/baby-goats-will-bernard-john-medeski

- Chubb Subb (Medeski Martin & Wood)

- Squash Blossom (Stanton Moore)

- Dunkin in the Deep (Stanton Moore)

Maple Plank (Stanton Moore)

Root Cellar (Stanton Moore)

Kool (John Scofield w Larry Goldings)

Hottentot (John Scofield)

Thanks Moe for all of these gems. I have a good collection of all usual swing hammond tracks but my soul/funk Hammond knowledge isn"t great. This is one area I"m really keen to delve into. Loads of great links here. Thank you again.