Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Virtual Happy Hour/WWKCFH - Friday May 1, 6pm ET

Sam and I are looking at next Friday May 1, but start it a little later for those Down Under [looks towards David Holloway]. Sam suggested 7 pm Eastern, which I believe would be 9 am May 2, Sydney time. It is a bit late in Europe though, like 1 am Rome.

What do you guys think?

Also note if it's like the last one, we might be going for a few hours and it's okay if you jump in late. Just know that some folks might leave early as well.

(I used this determine those times, so don't blame me!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheers:

We'll be needing pitchers rather than pints based on the last one. :rawk:

I missed a lot of the good drinking, which went on after I had to leave.

If all goes according to plan, we'll have closed on the new house the night before, so I will really have something to raise a glass to!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Sam suggested 7 pm Eastern ...
which would be 4 pm here on the Left Coast â a bit too early for cocktails or the dinner wine, but I could crack open a frosty brew about then.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Is there any chance you could make it earlier? I think that would be about midnight in the UK.....which would normally not be a huge problem for me as when I am gigging regularly I tend to go to bed extremely late most nights.....but I have become rather more normal during the lockdown and suspect that I will, in all likelihood, be too tired to stay up for it...
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

It is a bit late in Europe though, like 1 am Rome.

Ooohh... well, I think I understand your scheme. You want to keep all the good drinks for yourself... :D

Jokes aside, I realize we Europeans are in the minority, so I'm happy to let a few more of our Australian friends attend this time. I'll try to at least peek at the beginning to say hi.

I'm okay with bumping the start time up an hour to give our European friends a chance to get in on the action. Does that sound good to you, Sam?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sounds good. This time I'll have a tasty beverage at hand.

I'm always trying to impose order on chaos, just ask my perpetually harangued wife and children. It's a personality disorder . . .

So I would humbly suggest going into these meetings choose a theme and invite everyone to briefly riff on it. For instance, I just read in another thread where Eric talked about how is (or isn't) tinkering with his rig during this gig-free era.

Or talk about whatever you want, just keep it brief.

The basic idea is that some people are more . . . um . . . naturally loquacious than others, but a round robin likes this gives everyone a chance to talk and thus we get to know everyone, even the quieter people a little better. After that, anything goes . . .

Or just ignore my suggestions, my family certainly does!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I like to feel a little bit living in Bay Area, so even though Amsterdam time is a bit rough I might have put a recent Linux on my big PC and do some software+processing synthesis example for fun.

I'm sure I can fill an hour talking sense, but then again, I don't feel the greater good is generally served by that, it's interesting to get an idea of the feelings others have about the face2face time being done justice.

T.

I'm okay with bumping the start time up an hour to give our European friends a chance to get in on the action. Does that sound good to you, Sam?
Yes, I think 6pm EST/3pm western works just as well, kinder to Europe and still better for OZ than the last one. The last one was sort of "rolling attendance" so I'm more than happy to kick off the meeting then, and just leave it open for the rest of the evening -- I won't be needing to host any other Zoom meetings Friday evening after work.

I'm always trying to impose order on chaos, just ask my perpetually harangued wife and children. It's a personality disorder . . .

So I would humbly suggest going into these meetings choose a theme and invite everyone to briefly riff on it. For instance, I just read in another thread where Eric talked about how is (or isn't) tinkering with his rig during this gig-free era.

Let's bat that idea around a bit. I think the ideal for me would be open dialogue, but the tricky part about these virtual conferences is the more attendees there are, the more unwieldy that becomes. It seems like the more casual banter really kicked off about two hours in, after people had to split and there was a smaller group. So some sort of structure does make sense until things get into the flow, but I'd love to have some back and forth earlier in the game, rather than two hours of introductions. What do y'all think?

I am thinking it makes sense to set some ground rules that we sort of figured out collectively as the last one went on:

1. Keep your mic muted unless you're talking

2. Change your name in the meeting to include both the name by which you'd like to be addressed, and your forum handle, for easy recognition.

The last time I was hesitant to take on any kind of moderator role because I still feel more like the new guy, even though I hosted the Zoom meeting. But now that this has been a success, I suppose I can also be more active in running the show! :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Many thanks Joe and Sam - most appreciated. I am pretty excited at the thought of being able to put voices & faces to names after all these years (....and at having an actual appointment in my snow white diary.....) See you Friday! :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I promise to wear my hat so I don"t blind everyone..........

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

4 PM Mountain Time on May 1? I am so there. Feel free to mute the shit out of me when I get out of hand, which won"t take a single drinkâ¦

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Okay, so everyone can see it (except for this who have me on Ignore)

Friday May 1, 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific,

which apparently is 11 pm in England, 8 am in Wollongong, and Mezzanotte in Rome (and Paris). :D

As far as the idea of having a theme, I think it might be useful at first. Last time those of us who were there at the beginning introduced ourselves and I'm sure we don't want to do that every time. If we have a topic, people can feel free to do a little intro of themselves if this is their first time or they feel they want to for the sake of those who are new.

The other thing we did with that was after you're done, you pick the next person to keep things moving.

Muting Joe on a KC video call is actually part of the requirements to move from Gold to Platinum membership.

We don't just hand those out, ya gotta earn it.

:chainsaw::saber:

1 am in Paris, 11 pm in England, 8 am in Wollongong, and Mezzanotte in Rome. :D

How could I miss it now? :D :D

Jokes aside, I believe that Rome and Paris are on the same time zone - verified with three different sources. So, Mezzanotte both in Paris and Rome.