Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So, About this "MPN Shop" Thing...

If you've seen the press release, you know part of the story. But here's a little more detail.

Dave and I have often discussed how we can monetize the site, so we can keep the servers running, the lights on, and hopefully someday, expand what MPN can do. But, we didn't want to do a "tip jar" kind of thing, or ask for money. Selling ads is a start, but it's just that - a start.

Additionally, it's important to remember that MPN is not owned by some big corporation. There are no deep pockets, so we gotta make this work. We decided that selling out was not an option...but selling stuff ourselves...hmmm...

Over the years people have asked for merch, like a Musicplayer coffee mug. Dave started investigating that, but then I mentioned that I've developed a lot of stuff for my own projects over the years, because I couldn't find commercial equivalents. They're niche thingies, like samples, loops, presets, etc., but we figured, hey, we could offer something to musicians at a really good price they won't find elsewhere. So they get cool toys, and we get to keep the lights on.

We'll see where this goes. I'll be adding a new product once a week until the end of June, and at a slower pace thereafter. Dave's looking into more fun stuff. We're also thinking some people in the community might have some cool downloadable products (or physical products that can drop ship), and they might be appropriate for sale here. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... ... We're also thinking some people in the community might have some cool downloadable products (or physical products that can drop ship), and they might be appropriate for sale here. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

You asked for it... :)

Let's do my 1+1=11 trick.

We have gathered:

1. thousands of friends, users, readers, lurkers

2. the most respected professionals from the industry

3. We have MPN Gearlab

My proposal:

Every time a software synthesizer is reviewed in MPN Gearlab we offer a soundbank made by the best sound designers of this planet. The soundbank will cost just 1 or 2 Dollars/Euros so it's affordable for a large group of MPN fans.

As a sound designer I am willing to contribute at least 10 programs for every reviewed softsynth.

Collateral benefit: the reviews will reach unknown levels because every contributor can refer to his/her programs in the soundbank.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

That's a great idea!! Suppose we had ten reviewers doing a GearLab doing ten presets each. That's 100 presets. Presets would be $2 per 10-preset soundbank, so if you wanted to buy all 100 that would be $20.

The biggest problem I see is logistics - keeping tabs on how many are sold, and paying the preset designers. The system would have to be highly automated, otherwise it might cost more to administrate the program than the income the program would generate. So some of the proceeds would need to go to MPN.

I've done that in the past in a different way. When I reviewed gear, I always gave the company any presets I came up with as a way to say "thank you for the opportunity." However, many times this then turned into "Hey, we like those. Will you do more if we let you hold on to the unit?" So it was perfect: I wasn't being given a unit as compensation for a review but only after the review was done, my work was often worth more than what the unit cost so they did okay, I didn't have to do a cash outlay so I did okay, AND I was able to explore something in depth and increase my knowledge.

My suggestion is: one complete soundbank with sounds in it from all MPN sound designers. I have no intention to pay the preset designers, the money goes to MPN. We work with volunteers right?
:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

My suggestion is: one complete soundbank with sounds in it from all MPN sound designers. I have no intention to pay the preset designers, the money goes to MPN. We work with volunteers right?

When I look at the effort people put into the GearLab review of Pigments, they've already done a lot of work...volunteers are noble, but I think it would nice to offer some kind of compensation. How do others feel about this? Then again, we do have a lot of noble people here in the forums :)

There are several ways to monetize MPN. Advertisers are one source. But Dave and I would like to further improve the site, so this is a topic we've discussed a lot. We didn't want to have a tip jar or do GoFundMe or something like that. We thought having a shop would be a good option because what people bought would go toward supporting the forums and MPN, but they'd get something in return that they (hopefully!) thought was very cool.

We'll figure it out :)

When I look at the effort people put into the GearLab review of Pigments, they've already done a lot of work...volunteers are noble, but I think it would nice to offer some kind of compensation.

That initiative had a pretty decent perk. I was able to easily get my friends at Arturia to supply a fistful of copies of Pigments which not only cost them nothing, but were easy to distribute to a hand-picked group of our MPN Advisory Board; plus, any of the forum members were welcome to download a demo copy to try it out along with the team. Heck, anybody still can - the Pigments thread isn't closed.

Perhaps we can turn that into something other software manufacturers would want to do on a regular basis. It would be cool if someone from the manufacturer would participate in the thread with us to share their perspective, and even cooler if we could figure out a way to provide some sort of special deal for forum members on whatever we've got up "on the slab". [/Rocky Horror reference]

We'll figure it out :)

:2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

When I look at the effort people put into the GearLab review of Pigments, they've already done a lot of work...volunteers are noble, but I think it would nice to offer some kind of compensation.

That initiative had a pretty decent perk. I was able to easily get my friends at Arturia to supply a fistful of copies of Pigments which not only cost them nothing, but were easy to distribute to a hand-picked group of our MPN Advisory Board; plus, any of the forum members were welcome to download a demo copy to try it out along with the team. Heck, anybody still can - the Pigments thread isn't closed.

Perhaps we can turn that into something other software manufacturers would want to do on a regular basis.

Well then, kudos to Arturia for getting the ball rolling! A copy of Pigments is excellent compensation indeed :thu: