Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice

Being stuck at home got me to reading. I just finished up Joe Satriani'sw book, Strange Beautiful Music, which made me feel like a complete slug compared to his energetic approach and work ethic towards his music. Man, that guy makes the Energizer Bunny blush in shame. So, having successfully guilted myself into thinking I should start recording some stuff instead of vegging out in front to the TV, I set about trying to accomplish something.

Problem is, I am not set up to record. I did a bit of downloading, a software mastering setup. But it started saying things about where it was being saved to that I didn't understand, and it made me think I had no idea what I was doing or what I needed to record myself.

So, I came here.

What I have aat this point is; an MXL condensor mic, a PC running Windows 10, a Presonus Inspire 1394 interface(ancient, I know) and some mastering software I have no idea what to do with. I'm thinking I need a drum program that's idiot simple to operate, recording soiftware, and some plug-ins. Which ones, where to get them, all that is a mystery to me.

Bearing in mind that I have a $1200 stimulus check as a small budget, how do I get up and running?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First and most important, what sort of music to you want to record? That can inform sensible options.

You might want to upgrade the interface, get something with 1/4" TRS line inputs instead of RCA jacks. Your keyboard will like that.

If your PC has USB ports you have lots of options. I would opt for something that runs USB-C and comes with a cable to use the older USB sockets, that will be viable longer. Firewire is still breathing but on it's way out. The new MOTU M2 looks nice, is very affordable and MOTU has a long history of supporting their interfaces and customers.

How much RAM is in your PC? Can more RAM be installed? RAM is good, more is better.

You may be able to find most things you want/need for free in this thread - https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3036360/the-quarantine-freebie-thread#Post3036360. There are good free/affordable DAW options and I think there are some drum software options listed there as well.

A good pop filter should make your mic (and any future mic purchases) sound better, bonus because pop filters will never become obselete. Get a nice one, you'll only need to buy it once.

If the mic disappoints, consider getting a better one. Lots of options there, the Neat King Bee and Worker Bee are currently selling for much less than they are worth - not sure how long that will last. I have a King Bee, very good sounding mic. Big, heavy and ugly but it delvers the goods and comes with a good pop screen included.

Edited to add, I agree with Ronan on the SM 57 and on using the DAW your friends are using.

At the least you will want some nice headphones. A decent pair of monitor speakers is pretty essential. Too many options to list in those categories, would suggest keeping an eye on craigslist as sometimes some nice used stuff comes up at very affordable prices. One can outfit a studio on the cheap if one is choosy and moves quickly when opportunity arises. I know, I've done it.

Hopefully, others will chime in. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Satriani is great, and a good guy. I got to work on the G3 tour for a while.

Welcome to the world of recording. There is a lot to figure out , but it is fun. My advice is going to be to keep things a simple as possible.

What you are looking for at this point is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) set up, which is essentially recording software. When people ask what software they should get I always tell them to get whatever most of their friends are using, because that will get you the most free tech support. That said, since you already have a presonus interface, you might want to take a look at the presonus recording software called "studio one". Lots of my talented friends like using it and the entry level version is about $70. Studio One will probably have most of the plugins you need to get up and running making music. If you want expanded options for a drum program EZdrummer sounds great and is fairly easy to use. Also, add a Shure SM57 to your mic set up. Every studio needs an SM57

Most important is to get a few tools and start making music and mastering those few tools. If you buy lots of new software at the beginning it will get overwhelming. I have been doing digital audio for decades and I even get overwhelmed if I get excited and buy too many new plugins on black friday.

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer

(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)

ronanchrismurphy.com

So, I came here.

I have some good news: you're in the right place. Welcome!

What I have aat this point is; an MXL condensor mic, a PC running Windows 10, a Presonus Inspire 1394 interface(ancient, I know) and some mastering software I have no idea what to do with.

Forget about the mastering software. The good news is, you have a microphone! Always nice to record an acoustic and some voices. You have a computer and an audio interface as well. I checked the specs of the Inspire 1394: don't be surprised if it works on your Windows 10 PC.

I'm thinking I need a drum program that's idiot simple to operate

Indeed. The one which comes to my mind is Easy Drummer from Toontrack. Easy to operate and contains beautiful rhythms for pop and rock music.

recording soiftware

Like the Ronan C Murphy says: choose what your friends use. Make sure the software you choose is capable of integrating a virtual instrument like Easy Drummer.

and some plug-ins. Which ones, where to get them, all that is a mystery to me.

Skip this step for the first year. There is no immediate need for plugins because most recording software has standard delays, reverb, EQ's and compression.

Bearing in mind that I have a $1200 stimulus check as a small budget, how do I get up and running?

Your budget is sufficient to start with.

How to go further from here? Go to YouTube and search for the Recording Revolution. Start with the oldest video. Also, after you bought your recording software, you'll see that Youtube is your best friend. There are millions of tutorials - for almost every recording tool.

Remember that playing music is FUN and you can't do things wrong when you're having FUN. You just started a new adventure and solving problems is very common during adventures. :)

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Update; I have purchased and installed both Presonus Studio One and Toontrack EZ Drummer. I'm going to work through the tutorials, and will hopefully be recording in the next few days. I think my firewire interface will work for a while, anyway. We'll see.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Update; I have purchased and installed both Presonus Studio One and Toontrack EZ Drummer. I'm going to work through the tutorials, and will hopefully be recording in the next few days. I think my firewire interface will work for a while, anyway. We'll see.

Awesome, have fun!!!!!

Figure out your own workflow that allows you to be the Artist when you are recording.

My efforts lately have been towards streamlining the Engineer tasks so I can quickly move to playing music.

Others may be different but for me they are very different mindsets and I don't find it easy to be the Artist if the Engineer is thinking.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Enjoy!! :2thu:

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?