Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TX16Wx Software Sampler (free)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo thanks for the link, Dave. Will have to give this a go.

Have you messed with UVI Falcon? Avid has been bundling it with Pro Tools install files lately. I know some of the DAWs have their own... like EXS24 in Logic, Mach 5 with DP, etc.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Dave: definitely looks cool.

Elmer: I had not looked at that UVI Falcon. Wow!

Apparently the UVI Workstation Software is free - which is what I was actually thinking of when I mentioned Falcom.

https://www.uvi.net/uvi-workstation.html

But yes, holy heck, they are up to Falcon 2 and it's a monster!

https://www.uvi.net/falcon.html

I'm using the TX16Wx a lot because, well, it works with anything - AU/VST2/VST3/AAX, any DAW, platform, or format. I don't have to deal with things like path issues or licenses. It's also been around for a while, so it's stable.

Another aspect I like is that a lot of "samplers" exist mostly to play back for-sale content, and don't actually sample. I don't have a problem with that; Kontakt is a great example of how to make that approach work. But the TX16Wx makes it easy to experiment with samples, and throw together instruments quickly that work with whatever I use. I need something where I can assemble collections of WAV files, and create instruments of my own. The TX16Wx is ideal for that.

Ya, I tried it a few years ago. Worked as advertised. Didn't do a whole lot with it at the time other than throw together some multi-sampled drums to see how it behaved with multiple layers of velocity switching. It worked fine, but I found the GUI too small and fiddly. Maybe it's re-sizable now. That would help a lot.

I am still trying to get enough knowledge to use Falcon this way, and probably shouldn't divide my attention, but this seems like a nice option for folks who don't have something similar already.

At first, when I got the ping about this new thread, I thought someone was giving away an original hardware Yamaha TX16W for free, and I thought, "Yep, that's about right -- maybe a LITTLE bit spendy."

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I believe it got the name because it could open original Yamaha OS files...and then they got out of hand, and added more features.

Ahhh... so deska.

Still, I wonder if the name is hurting them... although likely it's only us old(er) geezers who remember the days of that original piece of hardware.

Carry on!

Jerry

I did not know about it, and my first thought was, "who in the hell would want a software emulation of the TX-16W?"

LOL !

Well, this software sampler isn´t new and it started originally as a "kind of" TX16W and it loads TX16W format.

I cannot remember when I installed it 1st on one of my old WinXP DAWs.

Now it´s on my latest build, together w/ NI Komplete 12 and everything.

It´s a really cool freeware sampler and it works.

But I also never checked out all it´s features,- I´m not a sampling guru per sé.

A.C.

I have it, and use it when I really want to play with sampling: it's like the good old hardware samplers, but with the easiness of software. It works great on my WinXP box!

Full featured and powerful if you want to work with your samples, but obviously there are better choices if you just need to play great samples (Kontakt the first that comes to my mind, but really they are two different tootls)

My band: www.tupamaros.it - Our music: https://tupamaros-it.bandcamp.com/

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro 

Not the player - the full version of Kontakt is a Sampler.

[video:youtube]

Umm no. Watch the video. He recorded the Casio in Samplitude and then imported the sample into Kontact where it can be edited. A sampler is a device or software that actually does the sampling, i.e. recording of the sound you want a sample of.

Case in point, many romplers allow importing samples and editing those samples. But they are not samplers.

Yes, I understand. Not anything to argue over. I see it as a plugin sampler - the workflow is integrated with the host DAW or other software. Most of them work this way these days. Stand alone is more rare.

On a similar note, when Apple bought Redmatica a few years back they stuck Autosampler into Mainstage - there's a nice workflow there. And obviously, EXS24 is where you would do the rest.

What do you think of TAL Sampler? Looks fun.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

[video:youtube]

Peace EJF. The only reason I pushed on this is the TX16Wx looks to be a true sampler. Even though its a plugin it allows you to "choose your DAW input or internal bus" and directly samples to the plugin. Didn't know whether anyone else is doing this these days.

I'm not familiar with the TAL "sampler" (cough :laugh:) but I do have the TAL vocoder that was free years ago. I recall it being a fun toy and maybe I need to load that up again.

I''m using mainstage as host with all mainstage instruments and Sforzando as sample-player.

For stability and load I mainly use samples. Had some hick-ups and crashes

Sforzando is stable with low load. Bigger sample-set are loaded into Sforzando and set as an alias in mainstage.

Work flow:

- Sample using Autosampler in mainstage or get samples from soundfont

- I have an old version of Extreme Sample Converter to do the looping and cutting empty spaces

- Adapt/build sample-mapping in Polyphone and export as SFZ

- Load in Sforzando

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

Worst name ever. I didn"t click on this because why would I want a virtual Yamaha TX16W. ð

But it looks cool

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Worst name ever. I didn"t click on this because why would I want a virtual Yamaha TX16W. ð

But it looks cool

Everyone I know who worked with the original hardware TX16W, wil ask the same question: "Why?!" Working with the original TX16W set a benchmark for me how NOT to design a sampler/synthesizer. Sound was good but the OS a disaster to work with.

It had a memory for the samples and a working memory. So every time you sampled something and wanted to perform some basic editing, you had to transfer the sample to the working memory. And the transfer process was a b-i-t s-l--o---w. Once in the working memory things were ok, but... you wanted to audition the edits right? So... transfer the sample back to the sample memory (j-u-s-t- a-s s-l-o-w) and hit a key. Repeat that three or four times and you'll understand why I always grabbed my S612.

The free software doesn't suffer from these 80's "characteristics". :)

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?