Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ideas for replacing lost gig income..!

Wanna share your ideas for how to make it through covid lockdowns..? I used to average at least 1-2 gigs a week, now everything is cancelled until late June. I don"t think gigs will be back anytime soon though, probably next spring or fall...

In the meantime, what do we do? Besides the 'given' things (Hanon, sight reading, harmony, improvisation) how do we make up for lost income?

I"ve been able to book studio sessions for music schools that want to record something instead of performing it, as well as a few other projects. What are You fellow keyboard players thinking? Comercial music? Audio books? Skype lessons? Where"s the money at? :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanna share your ideas for how to make it through covid lockdowns..? I used to average at least 1-2 gigs a week, now everything is cancelled until late June. I don"t think gigs will be back anytime soon though, probably next spring or fall...

In the meantime, what do we do? Besides the 'given' things (Hanon, sight reading, harmony, improvisation) how do we make up for lost income?

I"ve been able to book studio sessions for music schools that want to record something instead of performing it, as well as a few other projects. What are You fellow keyboard players thinking? Comercial music? Audio books? Skype lessons? Where"s the money at? :)

Well, if your gigging work is your main thing, and you have been filing your taxes that way for a while... I would start with filing in your state for unemployment as a freelance contractor and see if the fed will supplement what you are losing every week from the fund they setup for this. Thats in the US, abroad - The EU countries seem to have the income problem covered for their citizens.

If you don't mind teaching, reach out to your local shops and see if they would add you to their list of recommended teachers to work via Zoom or one of the other conferencing software - facetime, skype, etc.

Connect with the guys you normally played with and see if you guys can do some video and DAW collaborations - publish to youtube, and get some social media posts out to your fans letting them know you are still playing and where they can watch/hear you. Setup a PayPal or Venmo account for your duo, trio etc. and see if you can get some donations for your efforts from your regulars.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Where I'm living suddenly has a lot people on street corners selling face masks. Some look homemade and other the disposable medical kind, I'm assuming these are ones that fell off the back of a truck. So keep your eye on the back of delivery trucks.

Janek Gwizdala interviewed Adam Neely and they got in to how many are suddenly doing YouTubes thinking they will be making some money quickly. Basically they got into all the training in video, researching on how to make videos that draw people in, the to build up enough subscribers the it takes for YouTube to start promoting your channel, then how many subscribers you need for the monetization to be enough to start being a piece of your income. Adam Neely was saying people don't realize I've been doing this over ten years and just now hit one million subscribers. Then what I found of interest is how different making a video for YouTube is than for Instagram. On Instagram you need to grad the person's attention in two to three seconds or they are on to another post. So some reality of making money making videos and the work involved.

Where I'm living suddenly has a lot people on street corners.....

I started reading and thought that could go in at least a couple of different directions. :D;)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

There are a lot of local artists in my area that are doing Facebook live concerts with links to PayPal, Venmo and whatever else for tips. There's a local singer who is making pies and selling them and another who makes custom balloon designs. I'm loving seeing the creative ways people are trying to keep working and am happy to help support even if it is just a little here and there.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

If they hadn't determined the pot dispensaries an essential business, I would have had another suggestion, but they gotta get those tax dollars, so you're out of luck.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

What you mean is how to spend the money I normally would shell out to play a gig. Petrol, beer, a meal, wear on gear. Man with the money I'm not spending I could buy another board.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

What you mean is how to spend the money I normally would shell out to play a gig. Petrol, beer, a meal, wear on gear. Man with the money I'm not spending I could buy another board.

See? There's the good ole entrepreneurial spirit. Boost your income by not playing gigs!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Nothing lost by starting Skype lessons, problem is getting students.

Start up a YouTube Channel and put on a few scripted tutorial videos so students can, see, and hear you.

Online subscription tutorials are also a possibility, but you would need a lot of video tutorials prepared and available on a hosting website.

Checkout what others are providing, two of the biggest and best are Justin Guitar and Talking Bass, both have free content and paid for items.

Col

:idea: Leave your car engine running all night so you can make money buying more gasoline the next day.

Make money being GIVEN money each time you fill up, the gas guzzlers last laugh on those with Teslas.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Short the market. It's a pretty safe bet that the stock market's going to be heading lower for a while. You could short oil, but that move's pretty much over, at least for the near term contract.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.