Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Every Covid-19 commercial starts with piano music....

....and is remarkably similar in every other aspect as well. It's like every ad agency uses the same algorithms. Or maybe they all told their creative departments to make it sound like CBS coverage of The Masters golf tournament. At least it creates work for a few keyboard players....

[video:youtube]

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just piano music. Insipid piano music.

The musical version of a beauty pageant contestant talking about how to achieve world peace.

Or,

'Listen everybody. I"ve learned two chords and how to arpeggio!'

Or,

'If I don"t play a melody, or a chord progression, then there is just this meaningless drone. Bliss.'

Even elevators (and elevator music) go up and down.

Solo piano music, for most of the general public, denotes "serious", and signifies dreadful experiences that they have to suffer through in silence, like 1) children's piano recitals, and 2) weddings.

Least that's my theory.

I am so disappointed when emotionally charged moments in films use the same piano arpeggios I noodled when I was about 13.

Last one to do so was the climax of Murder on the Orient Express. I grew up watching Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. No comparison...

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

By complete coincidence I was watching this earlier today: Corporate music: how to compose with no soul.

Great analysis. I"ve still got the image stuck in my head of a creepy Humpty-Dumpty spying on me in my sleep. 'The introversion of sacrifice': if there isn"t a monstrously depressing prog or heavy metal band with that name, there should be.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Guilty as charged. :cop:

The music in this case was created for a different video but seemed more appropriate for this use.

We've had incredible success with this video on Facebook (over 55k views in a couple days) but perhaps that is because that is where all the clips used it in came from.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Ya know, you can knock it all you want, but there is a skill in writing music that evokes an emotional response, supports a visual and yet is not so dynamic or melody heavy that it competes with where the attention should be focused. Try it sometime. We celebrate players who play tastefully, yet are understated, and we still acknowledge their talent. Same should apply when talking about music for picture / advertising. My $.02.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Ya know, you can knock it all you want, but there is a skill in writing music that evokes an emotional response, supports a visual and yet is not so dynamic or melody heavy that it competes with where the attention should be focused. Try it sometime. We celebrate players who play tastefully, yet are understated, and we still acknowledge their talent. Same should apply when talking about music for picture / advertising. My $.02.

Yeah I gotta say I have to agree with that. There's definitely a lot of uniformity in advertising that's not ideal but some of it's there for a reason.

My hope is that this leads to more appreciation of piano and piano music in general and not a backlash when it's all over like, "we want more guitars! RARRRGH!!!"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ya know, the Yanni's & Barry Manilow's of the world have made a pretty good living with things that many of us cringe at. Think of the audience, check your testosterone at the door, play some beautiful music & be happy when the check clears. Custom music (as opposed to needle drop) is a hard sell these days, but I still get a lot of calls for some "pretty piano underscore" when budgets are tight but emotion that helps move a story along is needed.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Ya know, the Yanni's & Barry Manilow's of the world have made a pretty good living with things that many of us cringe at.

Kenny

G

Made loads doing what he does.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Even this new one, still the same thing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My wife, March 17 or so:

"I wonder how long it's going to take for all of these ads to start referencing Coronavirus."

Every commercial starting about March 21, in the words of my buddy, standup comedian Benjamin Tier:

"These are troubled times. Buy a Toyota."

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.