Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Keyboards for your coffee table

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for thinking of the authors! But the truth is that we're happy for you to order from Amazon, Target.com, Barnes and Noble, etc. This was a 7-year labor of love. There's really no profit for an author on an expensive-to-print niche book like this. We spent more than a year searching for a publisher who "got" what we wanted to do, and negotiating hard. The tough contract talks weren't designed to maximize our share of the revenue, they were designed to ensure that the book was published exactly how we envisioned it: Hardcover (with printing directly on the cover, rather than a dust jacket that would get ripped-up after a couple of years), large size pages, high quality paper stock, 400+ pages, 560 photos, etc. We just didn't want to make any compromises on the quality. (Getting a grant to help subsidize the high printing costs helped, too.)

We figured we had one shot to really do this right, and we were determined to do so. No book is perfect, but reader reaction (check out the Amazon reviews) suggests we did pretty well.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

Yes, they have a large -- and highly regarded -- music program. That was one of the reasons that UNT Press understood what we wanted to accomplish.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; Rhodes Stage 73; Rhodes Piano Bass; Hohner Clavinet D6; Hohner Pianet N; Vox Continental; Gibson G101 organ; Wurlitzer 140B; Minimoog Model D.

Ordered! Thank you!

Thank YOU! I hope you really enjoy it!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

My copy just arrived. It is indeed a beautiful book, filled with detailed photos. I've been skimming through it, and it looks like it's going to be a fun and interesting read. More importantly, perhaps, it looks like it'll be an excellent reference -- not only for the history and details of the keyboards themselves, but also for information about the musicians who played them, for the effects used to get certain sounds, and for which keyboard was used on a bunch of songs.

My copy just arrived. It is indeed a beautiful book, filled with detailed photos. I've been skimming through it, and it looks like it's going to be a fun and interesting read. More importantly, perhaps, it looks like it'll be an excellent reference -- not only for the history and details of the keyboards themselves, but also for information about the musicians who played them, for the effects used to get certain sounds, and for which keyboard was used on a bunch of songs.

Joe:

Really glad it's meeting your expectations!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Alan, were any of your personal instruments photographed for the book? I see from your signature you've got quite a collection!

Actually the only instrument of mine that made the book was a photo of my mint Wurli 140B that accompanied my first-person account of how I found it. (It's in the final chapter of the book that's about collecting vintage keyboards.) Almost all the big, beautiful "glamour shots" in the book were shot by my co-author (and photographer) David Robertson at his studio in Adelaide, South Australia. David has a very impressive collection, which was supplemented in some cases by me purchasing instruments in the US and shipping them to him to photograph. (Uh, yeah, that was incredibly expensive!)

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Finally ordered this as well. Looking forward to getting it.

I hope you'll enjoy it. (And if you do, please tell your friends! A niche book like this lives or dies on its word-of-mouth reputation.)

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

I hope you'll enjoy it. (And if you do, please tell your friends! A niche book like this lives or dies on its word-of-mouth reputation.)

Hi Alan, forgive me, but I just HAVE to ask before I order it...

Does it include a sub-chapter on the Leslie Rotating Speaker in or right after the Hammond B3 section???

Without it, that would be like... Jack without the Daniels, etc. (see my avatar)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

The Leslie part is within the Hammond Chapter. About 3 pages and photos of specific Leslie details and story, plus mention throughout the Hammond section.

I can't overstate how lovely the pictures are, not only the Hammond/Leslie part, but throughout the entire book. Awesome...

The Leslie part is within the Hammond Chapter. About 3 pages and photos of specific Leslie details and story, plus mention throughout the Hammond section.

I can't overstate how lovely the pictures are, not online the Hammond/Leslie part, but throughout the entire book. Awesome...

You beat me to the response!

In general, while each chapter is named for its "feature instrument," most of the chapters also have considerable info and photos of instruments that competed with it and instruments that made the feature instrument "obsolete." (At least in the minds of musicians of the day.) For example, the Mellotron chapter also includes the Chamberlin, Optigan, Orchestron, Birotron and the later "string machines" that offered many similar sounds. The Rhodes chapter talks about the Yamaha DX-7 and the Kurzweil K250, which helped seal the fate of the Rhodes, etc.

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

I can't overstate how lovely the pictures are, not online the Hammond/Leslie part, but throughout the entire book. Awesome...

You beat me to the response!

In general, while each chapter is named for its "feature instrument," most of the chapters also have considerable info and photos of instruments that competed with it and instruments that made the feature instrument "obsolete." (At least in the minds of musicians of the day.) For example, the Mellotron chapter also includes the Chamberlin, Optigan, Orchestron, Birotron and the later "string machines" that offered many similar sounds. The Rhodes chapter talks about the Yamaha DX-7 and the Kurzweil K250, which helped seal the fate of the Rhodes, etc.

Alan

Excellent -- thanks! Will get my order placed!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased that "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music," was selected as one of the "Best Classic Rock Music Books of All Time" by the BookAuthority: https://bookauthority.org/boâ¦/best-classic-rock-music-books⦠BookAuthority collects and ranks the best books in the world. It's nice to get this kind of recognition. Thank you for all your support! ClassicKeysBook.com

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Me too. And Happy Birthday Dave!

So NOW I finally work out why you wished me happy birthday :D My birthday isn't until July but that's the excuse I used to order the book ;)

Me too. And Happy Birthday Dave!

So NOW I finally work out why you wished me happy birthday :D My birthday isn't until July but that's the excuse I used to order the book ;)

Dave:

My Australian co-author and photographer extraordinaire, David Robertson (from Adelaide), gets especially excited when copies of the book make their way Down Under. Thanks for making his day!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

I'm pleased that "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music," was selected as one of the "Best Classic Rock Music Books of All Time" by the BookAuthority: https://bookauthority.org/boâ¦/best-classic-rock-music-books⦠BookAuthority collects and ranks the best books in the world. It's nice to get this kind of recognition. Thank you for all your support! ClassicKeysBook.com

Alan

Huge congrats on this Alan. So well deserved!!

Alan

Huge congrats on this Alan. So well deserved!!

Thanks!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Ordered, should be here this week. Can't wait!

:)

Arrived!

I'm a bit bummed that one of the corners took a pretty bad hit, but that's happened to just about every book I ever purchased from Amazon so I had to expect it, cannot complain.

Wow, after reading this topic I expected a good product, but still I'm impressed way beyond expectations. Just quickly flipping through the pages and seeing the quality of the paper, print and photographs, it's clear that the authors put so much work and research and dedication into this.

This will provide endless hours of learning and enjoyment.

Thanks so much Alan!

Ordered, should be here this week. Can't wait!

:)

Arrived!

I'm a bit bummed that one of the corners took a pretty bad hit, but that's happened to just about every book I ever purchased from Amazon so I had to expect it, cannot complain.

Wow, after reading this topic I expected a good product, but still I'm impressed way beyond expectations. Just quickly flipping through the pages and seeing the quality of the paper, print and photographs, it's clear that the authors put so much work and research and dedication into this.

This will provide endless hours of learning and enjoyment.

Thanks so much Alan!

Sorry it arrived damaged. It's a big, heavy book and the usual packaging that the retailers use isn't always up to the job. If yours is badly damaged, I'd think Amazon would quickly replace it.

I really appreciate the kind words. David and I put our hearts and souls into this project. As Chuck Leavell (Allman Bros., Rolling Stones musical director) said on his back cover endorsement, it was meant to be a "dream book for us keyboard players."

Best,

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com

Added to my cart. Will go with my next order. I really hope there is a picture of the Rhodes Chroma in it. :)

The Chroma is mentioned in the text, but unfortunately is not among the 560 photos in the book. Still, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the breadth and depth of the book. There's a lot to love!

Alan

ClassicKeysBook.com