Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One world: Together at home Tv concert

Is anyone else watching this? I have been looking at some of it. I am enjoying it much more than I expected to. It is refreshing to see the performers like this for a change. And I am loving the stripped back, acoustic versions of the songs. :)

P.s. In case you haven't heard about it, it is on for many more hours...A musical marathon...,

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing concert, I wonder if there is some sync mastering going before it is broadcast, zero latency, for example the one with Andrea Bocelli just broadcast here.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I thought JLo did a great job channeling her inner Streisand

The Keith Urban thing was pretty good.

And Eddie Vedder playing a pump organ? interesting

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Amazing concert, I wonder if there is some sync mastering going before it is broadcast, zero latency, for example the one with Andrea Bocelli just broadcast here.

Yeah definitely pre-recorded and synced in the edit - great stuff though!

I guess I'm watching the replay here on the west coast. Standouts so far for me are Lizzo (awesome vocal performance), Eddie Vedder (thought it worked really well), and Mick Jagger - damn he sounded great. Edit: realize these must all be prerecorded..of course! Probably not all the first takes, but some of them sound a bit rugged

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I enjoyed seeing the basic performances without all the studio production. Elton John on a basketball court, loved it even though I'm stuck with expensive tickets to one of his farewell tour shows. And even better most of the performances

were on keyboards instead of guitar, guitar, guitar ! Yea!

Hardly uplifting...self indulgent insufferable, crap, hosted by self important hypocrites. If I wanted more clueless celebs, this was the show.

But don"t ask me.. I"ll go back to the Dennis DeYoung at home and similar videos posted here, thank you.

Times may change, standards must remain...

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I'm less than half way through it but it's a must-watch one of a kind event. I'm not on the front lines of fighting the virus, but I can imagine what it means to those who are to be acknowledged through something like this.

My kids were glued to the screen. We've talked to them a lot about the pandemic but this was reaching them in a more visceral way.

As for the critics, there are always people on the wrong side of history. In this pandemic, history plays out with incredible speed. We'll be able to look back at our comments 6 months from now to see who was more in touch with reality.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I"m watching some today. I can listen to Stevie all week long. And McCartney is getting a very 'bell' like quality from his Rhodes with some tremolo. Anyone want to guess at its Mk #?

Elton"s "acoustic" in the backyard must be the Yamaha N3.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Highlights for me were the Stones, Billie Eilish and her brother did a good job, even my better half picked up he was playing an older keyboard (it was a Wurly I think). It's impossible to re-create the feel of Live Aid given the constraints but it was a good job. As a health worker myself (but not on the 'front lines' - yet), I thought it was a lovely gesture to the great people who have worked so hard so far.

I only watched Stevie and McCartney (before moving to Facebook to watch Josh Paxton tear up some Henry Butler). Stevie can do no wrong in my book, and he still makes his mixed voice and brilliant passing chords seem completely effortless. McCartney's voice is (maybe, finally) starting to show the wear and tear of age. I did appreciate the Rhodes tone... sounded maybe like the newish Mark 7 to me or perhaps even a Vintage Vibe? Didn't sound like any MK I've played in recent memory.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Highlights for me were the Stones, Billie Eilish and her brother did a good job, even my better half picked up he was playing an older keyboard (it was a Wurly I think). It's impossible to re-create the feel of Live Aid given the constraints but it was a good job. As a health worker myself (but not on the 'front lines' - yet), I thought it was a lovely gesture to the great people who have worked so hard so far.

I remember when McCartney performed for first responders in NY after 9/11. His presence and the Beatle"s music meant a lot to New Yorkers and their brothers and sisters in Jersey who lost family and friends (and continue to deal with illness).

In my neighborhood, the nurses are exhausted. My neighbor shared with me how she trained as a pediatric nurse. But in one night they arrived in the morning to see the wing had been changed to caring for the elderly. Stressful times.

I remember when McCartney performed for first responders in NY after 9/11. His presence and the Beatle"s music meant a lot to New Yorkers and their brothers and sisters in Jersey who lost family and friends and continue to deal with illness.

I can only imagine. Even from all the way down here I remember the emotion of the TV broadcast where Springsteen sang one of the songs he wrote about 9/11 (My City of Ruins) - just amazing at such a hard time.

I don't watch much over the air TV, but watched most of this show. I enjoyed the rawness of many of the performances and a lot of my favorite tunes so made for an good show for me. It also shows no matter what happens to the world Mick Jagger and Keith Richards will be the last two left to turn out the lights.

I enjoyed some of the performances, and it was enlightening to me to see a lot of performers I didn't know about... especially if you searched online, as there was over 6 hours of performers in total. Only the most well-known made it to the TV version, for obvious reasons.

Standouts for me were Lizzo, Keith Urban, J Lo, Stevie, John Legend w/Sam Smith, and a few others I'm surely forgetting.

But let me be curmudgeonly for a moment:

1) Lady Gaga - those were the best reharmonization changes you could come up with for Smile? Didn't like it at all. Did anyone realize she was singing into the back of her mic? It was pointed out to me today by people who would know...

2) Phineas (w/Bille Eilish) - how about using the real chords for the second part of Sunny? Repeating the same progression the whole time is not my favorite choice. I missed the F going to a nice Bb dominant 7th of some sort...

3) Elton John - dear lord I hated the piano sound. I know he uses a layered sound, used to always have some Roland MK-20-ish element, but I did not like the clanky tone at all.

4) Mick sounded great, and Charlie was funny to watch, but talk about not settling into a groove EVER for their tune. It's not like it was all live, unless Charlie's living room chair has a great cymbal tone...

Sorry to be harsh, I know it was a great event, for a great cause, and I fully support and appreciate everything they did. But my opinions still stand. Your thoughts on these points?

Jerry

I did appreciate the Rhodes tone... sounded maybe like the newish Mark 7 to me or perhaps even a Vintage Vibe? Didn't sound like any MK I've played in recent memory.

This topic could be it's own thread. I'm certain it's not a VV, other than that I'm not sure. Possibly a "Dyno-My-Rhodes" modification? I've owned at least 4 (that I can remember) Rhodes pianos, never one with the dyno mod, and agree that none of my pianos sounded quite like the one Sir Paul was playing.

:nopity:

Keith Urban knocked it out of the park. Stevie and Paul can do no wrong. Those aside, I could be critical of every performance.

This wasn't supposed to be about performing at their best. It was about some of the greatest stars in music making a show of support, putting their names on the bill so that fans would watch and maybe absorb some of the message. Unlike many of the big aid concerts in days of yore, I doubt that years from now anyone will go back and watch these performances.

But I have to agree that if Elton could go to all the trouble of putting together the elborate set, the outfit, etc., he could have found a patch less grating on the ears. My son had some uncharitable comments on his singing. I said, well, you know what, he's old.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Eltons setup confuses me. I am pretty sure that is a Yamaha N3 in the yard.

And his performance appears to be live, I am pretty sure it is.

The N3 has only a few sounds:

A darker sampled grand piano

A brighter sampled grand piano

DX7 piano

Rhodes

Harpsichord

Not much sound editing capability. So Elton's people created the MKS/Chorus stuff after the fact I believe.

Slightly OT, but sometimes when I"m practicing improvisation, i.e. trying to really 'stay in the moment' and avoid defaulting to licks, I"ll purposefully dial up piano tones that I really don"t dig such as Elton"s signature MKS/Chorus, or the DX7 rhodes.

It"s a real challenge to be creative with those tones! haha

Lady Gaga and Phineas...

I don"t believe these artists are actively continuing their education in piano playing - certainly not in jazz harmony. It isn"t the focus of their interest or what they produce as professional performers. It"s nice they know and like the standards - but I"m not surprised at rudimentary chord choices and voicings that come from the sheet music chord symbols or tabs.

Lady Gaga and Phineas...

I don"t believe these artists are actively continuing their education in piano playing - certainly not in jazz harmony. It isn"t the focus of their interest or what they produce as professional performers. It"s nice they know and like the standards - but I"m not surprised at rudimentary chord choices and voicings that come from the sheet music chord symbols or tabs.

I get that, to a point. I'm not expecting fancy voicings and extensions and colorful harmony, just the basic chords. But Sunny? Any search is going to bring up the right chords, be it sheet music, chord charts etc. Like the attached.

As for Gaga, she IMHO made a choice, its not down to her abilities. She has been exposed to plenty of Broadway stuff, her duets with Tony Bennett were quite sophisticated and she handled them great (albeit as a vocalist only). I saw her play at Sting's 60th birthday event and she was great.

She has plenty of range, even if again, she's not going to play super-fancy harmony/voicing etc.

So I wonder if it just comes down to that they felt they wanted to be informal, they didn't work very hard to work up the tunes, or maybe they thought it doesn't matter, it's the vocals and their presence that counts. And that's probably right for the majority of viewers and their fans. Anyway, it's just my old man jazzer rant for the day, I guess.

Jerry

909.thumb.jpg.b827c68b7a818b1f6d4f66eaea23ad51.jpg

The thing I find interesting is the modest pianos some of the artists have in their homes. It appeared Lang Lang played an upright that sounded like it needed a tuning. Seems odd for a world-class concert pianist.

I've heard other pianos on the recent YouTube performances as well. Nora Jones has been putting out a lot of content and she has this list console piano that needs tuning. Jon Batiste's baby grand is out of tune. I guess I imagine every professional musician's digs and home stuff to look and sound like John Legend's.

Make me feel not so bad about what I own.

For what it's worth, it was cool that Elton John has a piano in his driveway, but I found the sound quality rather irritating. Also thought I heard a bit of AutoTune on JLo's song.

Lady Gaga and Phineas...

I get that, to a point. I'm not expecting fancy voicings and extensions and colorful harmony, just the basic chords. But Sunny? Any search is going to bring up the right chords, be it sheet music, chord charts etc. Like the attached.

As for Gaga, she IMHO made a choice, its not down to her abilities. She has been exposed to plenty of Broadway stuff, her duets with Tony Bennett were quite sophisticated and she handled them great (albeit as a vocalist only). I saw her play at Sting's 60th birthday event and she was great.

She has plenty of range, even if again, she's not going to play super-fancy harmony/voicing etc.

So I wonder if it just comes down to that they felt they wanted to be informal, they didn't work very hard to work up the tunes, or maybe they thought it doesn't matter, it's the vocals and their presence that counts. And that's probably right for the majority of viewers and their fans. Anyway, it's just my old man jazzer rant for the day, I guess.

Jerry

I don't know, Jerry. You may be right. But I still think that jazz, jazz piano, is a thing all in and of itself. Some people get bit by the bug and its all they can think about for the rest of their lives. And other people hear that sound and hear "foreign language" or "my dad's (or grand dad's) music". There's tons of people in the middle. If phineas does study and enjoy jazz music, or even extended harmony - then maybe he made a conscious decision not to play it the way it would be played - but to simplify or pop-ify for Billy's audience - their ears are more accustomed to locking into a four chord loop. I can't tell you how many youtube videos are up right now with songs, not difficult songs, where the "wrong" chords are used, or a simplified harmonization is chosen. Most I think are simply because they don't know any better, don't hear any different. But again, maybe you're right. Maybe they choose not to present it in the expected way. Hard to say.