Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody upgrade/buy Cubase Pro 10.5 ?

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/

I don't have the Pro version, thinking of going all out for Pro.

It has some interesting vocal features.

I haven't gotten beneath the hood on this, still trying to figure out how to raise it.

And I need to catch up with Neon Vine's skills- you know, the performer that many raved about ;)

Appreciate the comments , thanks

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'd get the full version at some point regardless of when you decide to do it. But 10.5 seems like as good a time as any.

Here's the comparison chart again:

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

Is there enough difference between Pro and Artist to go up to it for you?

Some things are overkill for a home project studio.

But some things would be nice.

Most interesting to me - the new EQ that shows spectral analysis, Pad Shop 2, restroscpective MIDI recording, and a safe mode startup for when you are hunting down shoddy third party plugins.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm on Elements 10.5 currently. The sale sounds like a good deal, but I'm not really keen on spending another $300 on software since I just spent about $1,800 on a portable college setup and accessories. Seems I wouldn't be using it enough.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Oh, I'd get the full version at some point regardless of when you decide to do it. But 10.5 seems like as good a time as any.

Here's the comparison chart again:

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

Is there enough difference between Pro and Artist to go up to it for you?

Some things are overkill for a home project studio.

But some things would be nice.

Most interesting to me - the new EQ that shows spectral analysis, Pad Shop 2, restroscpective MIDI recording, and a safe mode startup for when you are hunting down shoddy third party plugins.

Thats a big help, thanks !

I could easily slip into Artist

I view the product as a long term investment in my music production future.

[70's Songwriter]

I bought it a few months ago, after I updated my PC to Windows 10.

I upgraded from version 8, so it's not radically different. Some of the icons are different and took a little getting used to. Also default and global settings etc. took a little time to get set up. One of my main reasons for upgrading is because the Retrologue softsynth now has 3 oscillators per voice instead of 2, so it sounds much fatter. :cool: I understand there are advantages like being able to compare mix versions just like the "compare" functions in synth editing, but I haven't gotten as far as messing with that yet.

I was chatting with Jim Alfredson at GearFest last year, and he recommended upgrading to version 10 (now 10.5). So I took his professional opinion and went for it without hesitation once my PC was up to Windows 10.

No regrets, and lots of room to grow. If you get a good deal, go for it! :thu:

><>

Steve

Oh, here's the link to the upgrade sale in case you don't know about it. Only to Pro sadly, there's no discounted upgrade to Artist. https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/upgrade-offer/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I did the upgrade, but haven't really used Cubase for anything yet. I bought into it a couple of years ago when I thought Digital Performer would never support VST3, then that got added in DP10. I may have some time this weekend to look into anything that anyone wants some specific feedback on. But so far I only use Logic for some stuff I can't do in DP (Alchemy, and reassigning MIDI Note On Velocity to a CC), and I had thought about checking out Cubase's supposedly best-in-class Drum Editor.

I wasn't really aware of new vocal-oriented features in 10.5, but it was a long enhancement list this time. All of the Steinberg products have come a long way on macOS in the past 2-3 years, and I now also own WaveLab Pro 10.0 and Dorico (notation software) 3.0.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I bought Cubase 10.5 Pro a few months ago and am very happy with it. It has a couple of specific workflows for some things I do often that makes it fit me well.

I also have Studio One Pro, Samplitude and Cakewalk by Bandlab. The only other DAW I use at all since I got Cubase is Studio One on a laptop for remote recording because I don't want to transport my Cubase dongle.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Cubase user here. I stay current and am on 10.5 Pro (Windows).

Looking at the comparison chart, the Pro features I use most are VariAudio, tempo detection, audio alignment (HUGE time-saver for me), loudness metering, and spectral curve comparisons. The careful observer will note that most of these are all corrective features! Yes, I get tracks from people and they need touching up.

Available in other versions, I reach for Retrologue, Groove Agent, and Halion Sonic SE. MIDI capabilities are great. I don't use any compositional tools like the chord pad. I used to use the score editor but have switched to the free version of Dorico.

I like the look and I count myself to be a fan. Every DAW will have its strengths and weaknesses.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

really great comments, reading all the voices of experience is helpful.

I also have challenges in mastering, final mix.

I know my Kronos will occasionally have tempo drift in SEQ mode.

my tracks always need help with out of balance loudness and EQ wackiness

12-16 midi tracks is the norm for me, so getting a variety of instruments to work well together

is a priority.

[70's Songwriter]

So far, Pro version, at 40% off is $297

Artist is still at $302. Not discounted.

I see educational versions are available, but I am not in college or a teacher, etc.

[70's Songwriter]

That is very encouraging.

You guys might laugh a little, but I am using the SEQ on Kronos for all my song recordings.

Have been doing this for almost 3 years and naturally, its like a pair of comfortable old shoes, for work flow.

This might sound dumb but when I am playing /recording tracks, following the precise drum pattern I am not precisely on beat when playing bass.

For example , a beat tick in a measure starts at 01.000 and ends at 04.479.

Sometimes I jump in to early on a measure, Instead of nailing the new measure on 01.000, I start the new note

on the prior measure, at 04.450.

I also use the metronome sound to stay exactly on beat.

It would be cool if the software had some kind of midi detection to warn me .." hey dude, not precise today "

Quantise doesn't cover this on Kronos for me, so that might be the tool I need.

[70's Songwriter]

They usually heavily discount the upgrades a bit before the next one hits the shelves, and it's been a while for 10.5 now, so maybe a special promotion is on the way. I seem to recall APR/MAY timeframe from previous years. But version-to-version pricing isn't the same as regular-to-pro and they might not do those incentives at the same time.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They usually heavily discount the upgrades a bit before the next one hits the shelves, and it's been a while for 10.5 now, so maybe a special promotion is on the way. I seem to recall APR/MAY timeframe from previous years. But version-to-version pricing isn't the same as regular-to-pro and they might not do those incentives at the same time.

thanks for that history, Mark, the offer is likely motivated by those factors.

Its possible world wide sales have slumped due to the virus and economic fall out.

Lower prices usually stimulates sales. Everybody likes a good deal.

[70's Songwriter]

Mac person here.

I have the LE version, which doesn't require the silly hardware USB dongle.

I notice that "Port USB: Type-A for USB-eLicenser" is required for 10.5 Artist and 10.5 Pro.

Its also named " Steinberg USB-eLicenser Software Authorization Key "

$27.95

Is it ok to use this thing in a USB Hub ? anyone run into issues using a Hub ?

Thanks !

[70's Songwriter]

Yes. I"ve been a Cubase red key user. It"s just their version of iLok. When you launch Cubase it checks for your license to know you"re a legit user. That"s all. Audio Interface - use a direct USB port. eLicenser stick on a hub if you don"t have a free port.

Note - ProTools more recently started allowing users to put their iLok in the cloud. Steinberg will probably follow if they haven"t yet.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks, brother ! I would much prefer a cloud solution.

I suppose its a good idea to buy the red key USB in advance, so when I install 10.5, there are no hitches.

Was going to order the Red key USB from Sweetwater today.

[70's Songwriter]

I must admit to being a bit tempted, but I am extremely pleased with my current version 8.5 artist and to be honest, I haven't the heart to deal with the sheer hassle of loading a new program and all the superfluous computer problems which that always seems to create. I don't even like having to deal with the changes to the software. I would prefer it if everything stayed the same so I didn't have to keep wasting time relearning all these programs instead of just using them ....
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I am also attracted to Artist 10.5.

I believe Steinberg has been adding some cool and useful features over the years.

True, if you don't use the extra features, or don't need them/see them in your future, keep enjoying what you have

Leonardo Da Vinci: " simplicity is the ultimate sophistication "

[70's Songwriter]

Recently, I've put my big machine up to the latest updates (I normally have a "group command" to block all updates which has served the daily usefulness of the PC greatly), and received an upgrade email from Steinberg concerning the complimentary 7 AI Cubase I got with a Yamaha mixer/USB interface.

So I had to hassle, free space on the SSD, see windows restart and claim the (double, actually multi-) boot program role, hassle some more, update the licence program, email my activation code back to Steinberg (security leak ?), use an external USB3 drive to temporarily store installation files (before I cleared some space on one of the traditional drives in themachine), and installed LE 10.5 AI.

Before that (and a reinstalled because there were issues with the update and the old install) I put on the official windows drivers from Yamaha for the MG16XU mixer/audio interface and the Midi driver for the CP4 (grrr, still no Linux version to my knowledge, who decided on that ?), and now 10.5 (though onthe low end of the price spectrum) runs fine on the 2560x1440 screen. It's still a bit a bit of a hassle to get audio and midi to respond as desired, there are a number of software instruments files missing (maybe not part of this version, or possibly remains from the 7.0) without clear indication (at random dialog informs and also fails toload with no message), like I in the past found it a bit of a strange hassle to get all connections such as I though they ought to run. Like 15 years ago the interfaces and dialogs were similar to now, and IMHO compared unfavorably to the more pro minded Linux methods apparently like by only a few. Of course I could quick enough record and play back some midi and audio, and after using the lib tools I could load a drum set and play and adjust it to act as software instrument track.

I've been a Steinberg use from the earliest version in the 80s. Honestly sequencer wise those earlier Cubases were more sensible to my mind. I get it, it's not easy to admit there's always sample hassling and uncertainty going on about audio interfaces and their drivers and buffers. and make mormal computer users aware of the real problems. So it's fun to see some example projects and tracks that weren't a breeze to use however. Nothing about tuning latencies, virtual zero latancy control recording and monitoring in audio or Midi, such as the old drivers allowed to some degree.

I've done some CD mastering with a previous version (I got version 4.0 IIRC with the Lexicon Omega long ago), for which some of the then delivered effects were somewhat suitable, and the interface was all right. I'm not a fan of the strangely fangled interface components of 10.5 . I suppose it isn't really wrong but I don't fancy much of it compared to more straight approaches like used to be normal on Cunase.

Also, there's to my knowledge no connection with A grade studio norms or any particular effect setup to deal with preparing DAC to sound right a bit ona random digital recording. I mean there are 'studio setups' with tracks with effects, master effects and so on, but not in a way particularly useful to a pro purpose.

T.

Cubase Pro has an important feature- VariAudio:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/sample_editor_variaudio/sample_editor_variaudio_c.html

I spend many tedious hours fussing with vocal audio files in Audacity.

With Pro I think I will save a bunch of process time and maybe get a better result with vocals

[70's Songwriter]

There are F.O.S. voice correctors, but I don't know what Audacity has installed. I'm no fan of the effect, I tried some out years ago just for the science, and honestly would be fine not much hearing any the rest of my life. It is a hard problem, which I think will end up far from perfection, and in a sampling problems hell I'd rather not put vocals in! On the other hand, it might be cool and exact for certain applications. My impression of the built in QB effects is moderate as I've listened to examples, I also seriously doubt there's a academically founded learning opportunity i it all.

T

Anyone know if the Artist version ever goes on sale? I"d be tempted to start there, but I wouldn"t want to pay full price if it"s the kind of software that gets a discount a couple times a year (in 'normal' times, anyway). Apologies for going a bit off topic from the discussion of the Pro version...

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

There are F.O.S. voice correctors, but I don't know what Audacity has installed. I'm no fan of the effect, I tried some out years ago just for the science, and honestly would be fine not much hearing any the rest of my life. It is a hard problem, which I think will end up far from perfection, and in a sampling problems hell I'd rather not put vocals in! On the other hand, it might be cool and exact for certain applications. My impression of the built in QB effects is moderate as I've listened to examples, I also seriously doubt there's a academically founded learning opportunity i it all.

T

I bounce around from Audacity- to a USB stick- to Kronos SEQ with my audio vocal files.

Its an ugly manual process. As I am always messing with pitch, more db/treble/bass, tempo, etc etc

I am willing to try anything integrated /native at this point, to save time.

[70's Songwriter]

Anyone know if the Artist version ever goes on sale? I"d be tempted to start there, but I wouldn"t want to pay full price if it"s the kind of software that gets a discount a couple times a year (in 'normal' times, anyway). Apologies for going a bit off topic from the discussion of the Pro version...

I am going thru a similar ' bang for buck ' process with Artist.

I thought about the EE version but I am wary of restrictions.

A million to One shot if I generate any income from my song writing/recording.

[70's Songwriter]

A couple of notes regarding USB-eLicenser :

I've used Cubase for decades, started having some difficulties with my ancient eLicenser. (The big one). After I bought a replacement, all the difficulties went away, AND Cubase loaded way faster.

Tonight, in response to this thread, I tested the new eLicenser, in a passive USB-2 hub, shared with an Ilok dongle, a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse dongle, and even a 2006 Contour ShuttlePro (V1) that I'm using as a shuttle wheel and transport buttons. Everything worked great!

YMMV. I think Martin J. at Steinberg uses a D-Tech powered USB3 for the eLicenser. I think it can be run passively or powered with a separate USB 3 or C power cable. Cheap on Amazon. But so far, I don't need a powered hub, even though Steinberg advises it.

GAS Alert!

I'm getting low on USB ports, because my A&H SQ mixer requires dedicated USB2 port, and I'm also using Softube Console 1 (dedicated USB port) which is frankly incredible for workflow, Cubase integration, and SSL emulation (use it on every track, bus, group).

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs