Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XK-1 Drawbars?

I've been asked to repair an XK-1 with 2 broken (1 missing) drawbars among other problems. I looked at Syntaur, but no luck.

They have Alpha etched into the metal frame, but I'm sure Hammond had them made for them.

I searched everywhere and can't find any replacement drawbars for this keyboard.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Rick

ps: I'm an old amp repairman, but this is the first portable Hammond I've ever worked on, not the first keyboard by a long shot.

880.thumb.jpg.2e60ad32dc950b826e6c1da57baf3b10.jpg

881.thumb.jpg.fac48474b60e9f25aae4e78ddc00376c.jpg

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

link

the link above points to an inoperative Voce drawbar unit being sold for parts. you might be able to use the drawbars from this unit and makeshift them into the XK1.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I've been asked to repair an XK-1 with 2 broken (1 missing) drawbars among other problems. I looked at Syntaur, but no luck.

They have Alpha etched into the metal frame, but I'm sure Hammond had them made for them.

I searched everywhere and can't find any replacement drawbars for this keyboard.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Rick

ps: I'm an old amp repairman, but this is the first portable Hammond I've ever worked on, not the first keyboard by a long shot.

Hey Rick, have you tried sending an email to this place :

info@tonewheelgeneral.com

They don't currently list any, but may know where to go. I see they have in stock parts for the XK-3 (no drawbars) so they might be a good knowledge source.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Good luck contacting Hammond/Suzuki, I have an XK-1 with a failed master volume part, I tried to get a replacement from H/S, and was told that the instrument was no longer supported and they had no parts available. I"ve repurposed the XK as a lower manual for my XK-1c, otherwise I"d pull the drawbars from mine and send them to you.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I still think that you can take the Voce Midi Drawbar unit I pointed to above (link) and with a little cutting and soldering probably can use them effectively. If I had no other alternative (alternatives appear slim) I'd spend the $50 and take a chance. I had the XM2/XMc2 unit that I sold a couple of years ago and I remember the drawbars being similar in nature. You'd have to do some cutting/soldering but it's better than no option.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah from doing a bit more looking, it appears the drawbars for the portables; SK, XK, etc.. are modular and woul dbe sold that way, if available,

Now then, since H/S currently produces the XK, they should have parts, one would think.

Otherwise, I like Dave's idea about the Voce unit.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

David, Yeah all the replacement pictures I've seen are of the whole assembly, ie. not individual slide pots.

Del Dave, IDK. Possible I guess. Keyboard isn't worth me spending much time on it. It has a few other problems too.

Looking at the drawbars in the GMLab D9U MIDI kit. They look more similar. Don't yet know if I could get a couple of spares yet if not a full purchase.

New worst case scenario:

I'll ask the guy if I can preset the 16' to full out and pull the drawbar out and place it in the 2' slide pot.

Thanks guys!

You could get a D9u drawbar assembly kit from crumar for like 200 bux and put the whole thing in and hardwire it internally via midi. Of course that's alot of work to put into a $600 board but it does have nice keys.

I wouldn't do that; call that throwin' good after bad. You're right about the keybed though!

Yeah, the D9U actually only $139 and they sure look like the same drawbars too. Easy peazy to install them.

I still have to clean the key contact cups and replace the Value encoder too. That's probably a bit less than $250 total.

I'll have to present him with the options.

Thanks guys!

Rick

• 6 months later...
You could get a D9u drawbar assembly kit from crumar for like 200 bux and put the whole thing in and hardwire it internally via midi. Of course that's alot of work to put into a $600 board but it does have nice keys.

I wouldn't do that; call that throwin' good after bad. You're right about the keybed though!

Yeah, the D9U actually only $139 and they sure look like the same drawbars too. Easy peazy to install them.

I still have to clean the key contact cups and replace the Value encoder too. That's probably a bit less than $250 total.

Thanks guys!

Rick

Reviving an old thread. The below link may help in solutioning your issue.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1449903441935326/permalink/2741624436096547

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks guys!

Rick

Reviving an old thread. The below link may help in solutioning your issue.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1449903441935326/permalink/2741624436096547

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Update: I did finally get the drawbars and knobs from the keyboard partner shop in Germany. They are similar, but are upside down for the XK-1, which puts the solder tabs 180º off for the fader pcb assy. I pulled the draws out of the new drawbars and installed in the old drawbar shells.