Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electromotive - The Story of ARP Instruments

Set aside two hours of time to watch this fantastic documentary about the history of ARP. It's done by Alex Ball, who has created similarly excellent videos on

and
. One thing that really struck me is that all these guys who worked in that groundbreaking time of synthesizer development seem to be genuinely good people :)

[video:youtube]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance I thought this was about the Electromotive Division of General Motors (EMD), and couldn't figure out what the tie in was.

I'll watch it later.

Thanks for the link.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I plan on returning, thanks for posting.

I was a curous teenager when our local music shop (remember those?) put an ARP Odyssey out on the floor. They let me fire it up and play around with it for 45 minutes or so. I think they didn't really know what it was either and I was gentle so they just let me create insanity. I probably just held a note and tried everything!!! I remember having fun and also thinking that the price tag put it out of reach for me.

A little later they held a demo seminar for one of the ARP guitar syth thingies with a local guitarist playing. I loved/hated that, it was a guitar synth but not a very good one. Tracking was pretty iffy.

An important part of electronic music history beyond any doubt, ARP got instruments out into the hands of players, a widespread phenomenon.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

ARP synths aren"t really my thing, although I like some (Solina, some Odyssey for funk and the Chroma), but what a great effort this self-made doc is.

Props to Alex Ball for doing these, the Roland one was already really awesome. I wonder what his (Ball) background is, his music is also usually very tasty.

I started watching this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Back in the 70's I had an original ARP Odyssey and an ARP String Ensemble which I purchased at Manny's in 1974. I recall speaking on the phone with Phil Dodds on an issue I was having with the SE. The Odyssey never gave me a problem and the tuning was rock solid.

Times were much simpler then. Miss those days. LOL

Thank you for sharing - that was very enjoyable! As much as I love Moog and own a couple, there's always been something about ARP for me. I've got an original white-face Odyssey and a Pro-Soloist both in the bone yard (for now), and String Ensemble and Korg Odyssey that are alive and well. The KOdyssey sat next to me and played along during the movie.

At first glance I thought this was about the Electromotive Division of General Motors (EMD)

I caught that, too. Another train fan here, I see.....

Ha! Yeah me too. Just scrolling thru the topics my first thought was hmmm.... Was EMD building synths next to the F3 or SW1? :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

The Roland documentary had the highest Gear Lust factor and we can all recite the Sequential story by now, but this one was more satisfying because of the well-described historical timing of ARP's reign. I knew some of it, but the process of filling the gaps was rewarding. You could almost show this to a technology nerd who knew squat about synths and still have them find it enjoyable. 5-star work!

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

I watched it last night, and might watch it again. :2thu: Very comprehensive, and the interviews with past employees and their stories were very entertaining and interesting. I never knew there were so many revisions of the 2600, and iterations of the 2500. :cool:

My first synth was a white faced Odyssey, so there was a bit of nostalgia when they covered the Odyssey series. I have the iOS version in my iPad, so naturally I opened it up and played with it for a while after watching the movie. :keys2:

><>

Steve

At first glance I thought this was about the Electromotive Division of General Motors (EMD), and couldn't figure out what the tie in was.Jake

I hadn't heard the term "Electromotive" between studying for the Ham Radio license when I was 14 and when I heard Madrigal Electromotive when I was 54 and highly disturbed watching HF acid cause all manner of explanation of our society today.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other day, well done, informative and very enjoyable!

First synth was a blackface Rev 2 Odyssey. Always felt it was a more capable synthesizer than the Minimoog. Had the opportunity to babysit a Chroma for a number of years, regret not buying it when I had the chance.

Looking forward to getting my "Ballad of Don Lewis" DVD in a few weeks

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff