Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reason 11 brings Reason Rack Plugin - use your host or DAW

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Studying FAQ regarding Rewire support. They have dropped it in v11 as they shift to the Reason Rack Plugin. Right now it is VST only, AU will be out before end of 2019 and they are looking at AAX but have not committed to it.

"Can you ReWire Reason 11 with other DAW hosts?

No, ReWire has been discontinued in Reason 11. If you have projects that use ReWire, you can keep your previous version of Reason installed alongside Reason 11. Otherwise, we suggest that you use Reason Rack Plugin instead,"

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This is probably the first time since version 3 that I haven't bothered to upgrade.

Reason is my only DAW, I have no use for a Reason VST.

The Suite has one or two Rack Extensions I like the look of, but not enough to convince me to cough up the extra money.

It's all a bit "Meh..." I'm afraid, and judging by the various forums / Facebook pages I read, I'm not the only one.

It´s buggy and lacks features for the time being ...

As always, I´ll wait for Reason´s 1st update after a release.

I dunno what happens this time after Phead became Reason Studios,- but before, ALL 1st updates after a release were fine and stable ... at least for me.

I didn´t install after reading "RSNtalk" the past days and even I got it for free ´cause I bought Reason 10 upgrade in august and registered 2 days ago.

Once they got the VST3 right for the rack,- it might be a winner though.

I always found Rewire somewhat cumbersome and when VST integration of "the Rack" will work as expected,- Ill download and install,- no question.

A.C.

• 6 months later...

Had no time to check out latest features,- but I doubt it got multiple MIDI-In for the rack plugin, so it´s impossible loading several Reason Instruments into it and play/control ´em individually via MIDI up to now.

I´d wish it worked like a NI Kontakt Multi where you have several instruments individually assigned to 16 MIDI channels.

A.C.

Kinda makes me wonder how taxing on the CPU it would be to run multiple Rack instances versus having Rack be multitimbral.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Kinda makes me wonder how taxing on the CPU it would be to run multiple Rack instances versus having Rack be multitimbral.

If you are only loading one instrument per instance then not too bad I would I imagine.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

That´s the reason why I mentioned above.

I better run 1 MIDI-multitimbral rack-plugin,- or multiple instances of multitimbral racks WHEN 1 instance of a MIDI multitimbral rack isn´t enough.

The way they designed the VST3 rack is similar to their architecture of a "Combinator" inside Reason.

You create a multi-instrument from several devices packed into the Combinator and control is on a single MIDI channel.

I don´t understand why they don´t deal w/ MIDI channels at all already in Reason standalone,- except when using the "advanced MIDI interface", which itself offers other restrictions then.

A.C.

Let's email them and ask for the feature, Al!

Already discussed in Reason Talk forum some time ago.

They read it.

But they came out w/ MIDI Out from the RSN VST3 rack 1st.

Dunno if they are williing to implement MIDI multi-timbrality for the rack one day.

Maybe they can´t,- who knows.

It´s also a nitemare their plugins don´t respond to MIDI program changes, may it be inside Reason or in the VST rack.

They say VST3 plugins can´t ...,- but I know several manufacturers finding workarounds like "MIDI banks" where you collect the patches you want to recall via MIDI prg-changes in a live rig.

Uhe, Arturia, NI and others can !

Does the software also have a stand alone version that does allow for multiple MIDI inputs on any of 16 channels each?

In Reason, on top of the rack where you also find the master audio output section and in standalone mode, there´s a "advanced MIDI interface" offering MIDI In ports A, B,C & D,- 16 channels each ...

because Reason instruments normally are tied to tracks in the sequencer, you can select MIDI In ports A,B,C & D there too.

But IIRC, then there were some restrictions recording into these "tracks".

Reminder:

When you double click any Reason Instrument or VSTi in reason browser,- it will automatically create a "track".

But also normally, you control each instrument in a track individually by the controller keyboard connected via USB by (mouse click) highlighting the desired track or selecting the track from controller surface.

O.k. in the studio, but in a keyboard rig not so much.

I always liked using my studio gear also in my live rig (if possible).

That why I made everything mobile always,- use rackmount PCs and not towers.

A.C.