Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike's New Studio Build

I've started converting the carport in my new house into a studio and thought I'd post my progress here. It's going to take a while due to budget and time constraints.

The project will see the current carport converted into a small studio and a small store room added to the side. Here is the plan:

studio-plan.jpg

This is the carport. The door to the laundry (on the right) will be filled in.

Carport.jpg

807.jpg.3cab7c530f2dec76f9abb978fab1734a.jpg

809.thumb.jpg.383bb32df33177e8c61c667bad99ba1a.jpg

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first task after getting the plans drawn up and council approvals was to get a concrete slab put down for the store room. I had originally planned to do all the work myself, but my psoriatic arthritis restricts how much heavy work I can do, so I got a contractor to lay the slab.

20200313_074423-1000.jpg

20200314_150724-1000.jpg

810.thumb.jpg.d0d3633a4615a63f6079b1cdfaec8059.jpg

811.thumb.jpg.d798d48e9e5dd48ccc3c2e774c79a9bd.jpg

I live in a cyclone prone area, so the construction has to be a lot stronger than would be needed in other places. Due to the risk of flood the studio floor has to be raised by 100mm to meet the level of the rest of the house. Also, the carport slab is not strong enough so a reinforced concrete filled bond beam 500mm high needs to be built at the bottom of the wall.

It's been 20 years since I've done any blocklaying and with the arthritis it's quite hard going. I may decide to employ a blocklayer for the bulk of the work.

20200329_183830-800.jpg

Bond beam filled with concrete.

20200404_175609-800.jpg

812.jpg.36e70076932040e7f160efc16d48ee64.jpg

813.jpg.aa468003d5fa2e96279ea5be6001887e.jpg

Nice trades there - are you doing the work yourself or subbing?

I'm mostly doing the work myself, except where it's too heavy for me. I'm waiting at the moment fro the concreting contractor to do the floor thickening slab. Hopefully, the week after next.

Edit:

Oh, and certain things that need to be certified such as the termite treatment, electrical and roof.

12mm galvanized bar bent at 90 degrees and epoxied into the existing walls to tie the new walls to them.

Another issue is that the original corners were rounded so I had to use a diamond saw to carve out a channel that will take bondcrete render to fill it in. I also epoxied some threaded bars into the wall to help the bondcrete grip so hopefully there will be minimal cracking.

20200328_160543.jpg

829.thumb.jpg.cfc015f4d0ceeb2e31cfb0e7ae8ad797.jpg

Are most houses where you are built like that? Just about every house around here is wood frame, even the brick ones. :facepalm:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes, concrete block construction is extremely common. It's reasonably economical and very strong. Pretty much every house now is rendered so you don't see the blocks. My house is a basic one and about 25 years old. Rendering was only done on the high end houses back then.

My last house was similar, but I had that rendered, which made it look a lot better. I'll eventually get that done to this one when the budget allows. More important at the moment is getting a better studio than a small spare bedroom, which is what I'm currently using.

My last house. The door on the right leads to the studio, which was also a converted carport.

M20170723154302-800.jpg

832.jpg.b053a0802e69f43634ff422efe4ace58.jpg

Concrete walls! That will help with the sound insulation!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

This is a fantastic thread!!!

I love what you are doing and really appreciate all the photos and details.

I learned construction with my Dad but went in a different direction.

I had to choose, small living room or home studio. Home studio gets more use by far. It is humble and an adaptation, we do what we can.

And you can do a great deal, kudos!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Epic thread. I am really enjoying the progress so far. I have performed and overseen some construction projects and still love doing them. I have one in mind for maybe next year, though nothing quite as cool as this one!

Mike, I wish you all the best!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com