Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For gigging band members, are you group practicing?

I was contacted by a member of one of my bands who wants to resume weekly practices in his garage in order to maintain the proper social distancing. Usually we practice in a tiny 12 x 12 room and we're pretty cramped. He has a double bay garage which quadruples the ft^2 space and we'd be able to easily maintain our 6ft. social distancing. We've all been working from home and good about staying home. No one has any symptoms (that we know of). Usually I am the smart conservative one, and am no different w/ Covid. Everyone is a go, now I'm having second thoughts especially that I've made it this far because I've been conservatively cautious but it would be nice to get out of the house ..... Anyone else back practicing with the band?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Most I think wanted to rehearse or would do it.

Both bands have one member who won"t. Both bands also won"t push to do anything anyone is uncomfortable with. I would probably go with the herd either way.

I kind of like the time off. Not sure I want to even come back after the lickdown is ended. Played some Bach Partitas on Saturday after yard work. My hands are out of shape bad. A 3-4 hour gig would kill me right now. My Baldwin actually has a fairly light action. The bass is lighter than my Kronos.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No I shut it down right before things really got bad Dave. I think it was the 11th of March when I decided to shut it down. We had just had a practice and restaurants were just getting ready to go take out only.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Nope; no rehearsals, and dozens of gigs vanished. It is what it is. We all stay in touch, and share music to listen to or that we're working on. But as the end is not in sight, it is hard to know whether it is worth investing in setting up short-term solutions for on-line collaboration, as we would all just want to return to normal in-person activity once quarantine ends... whenever that may be (completely unknown!).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm not trying to say this thread is redundant, because the topic is a little different, but eric brought up something similar on Saturday and I had a similar thread to this one previous to that.

tl;dr â No.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No rehearsals since very early March. There was some discussion about it or trying to do it virtually, though gigs are all canceled through June at least. I miss the weekly camaraderie, though it is just too risky to do it these days.

Nope - original band has taken a haitus, and the jazz-ska band (which had several gigs in June booked) has also not gotten together since the beginning of March.

There was some talk of getting together for a rehearsal, but I pointed out that 4 horn players blowing their spit around a relatively small room is probably not in the CDC guidelines for proper cowering in place.

No rehearsals right now, but both of the bands I'm in have a weekly Zoom call at our usual rehearsal time. It's just a time to check-in, see how everyone is doing, talk about what we're doing musically on our own and what we're listening too. Everyone on the calls kicks back with a drink, and I really enjoy the chance to stay connected with my bandmates right now.

My most active project is a jazz quartet in which the leader is 72 with a compromised immune system. Other members besides me are 68 and 66. I think the question for us is should we get back together at all prior to there being an effective vaccine. I suppose that will be up to them as they are more at risk. I'm 99% certain I have the virus (5 weeks into, I'm mostly ok now). Assuming a test shows I have anti-bodies, that might factor into the decision, but post-viral immunity is still a complete unknown for this.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Nope.

One of my groups just posted an out door gig for May 1. I have not responded yet, but I do not plan to make that one.

Need to see how the infection rate goes. Hopefully May will have steady declining numbers.

My cousin is getting married the first weekend in June and most folks just cannot commit. I hope they can postpone or at least hold the party to a later date. Love the guy like a brother, but...well, you know...

No. Both bands practice in a 2-car garage, and I can tell you right now there is not enough space to practice the proper physical distancing.

My bass player just texted a couple more songs he wants to work on once the all clear is sounded, but I don't expect that for some time.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'd say no way. Also, 6 feet may not be enough if people are opening their mouths and singing...

Yeah, I think people are getting way to hung up on the 6 feet - it's not as if you'd get infected germs can't go 6.1 feet. Especially if you sit in a room with several people for a long time. Maybe a sweating drummer. Yummy.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Nope. No rehearsals; no gigs. But.......after gigging continuously for the last 10 years or so, I must admit that it feels quite nice to take a break and just play....with no purpose other than to enjoy it. No deadlines; nothing to learn or memorise ready for the weekend... I am sure I would not want to continue like this forever, but for now it is refreshing to play only stuff that I want to play, and no stuff that I have to play.....
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Pre production and gigs cancelled, as they were conventions, and one nighters on Freemont Street.

Great gig too. No biggie though, I"ve held 2 auditions and got both gigs.

I corresponded via email for the management/agent/contractor, the other was word of mouth.

I told them screw the links, sends me 3 tunes then come by, sit in your car as I open the garage and play the tunes.

First time for everything I suppose.

Learning 50 new arrangements but no pre production until May when the theaters/rehearsal halls open up again.

2-A6-DA668-3968-4-A2-B-9-C16-6-D956-B702-B0-D.jpg

3280-D5-DD-4687-496-B-B818-CB8-ECC4-A5082.jpg

5-B6-EF6-B2-EF27-486-E-87-DF-8-BBD4-D96-AB7-D.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I told my wife today that I was going to take my gig rig and set it up in my office so that I can use it to do some recording. Since I can't afford VB3 to go with Sonar, I'll connect my SK-2 through the first gen Vent in stereo and just play the Hammond work. I'll just connect everything to my new mixer, then send the outs to my M-Track.

I figure it will be a couple more months before there is any hope of gigs. Oh Well. I had a couple doubles booked.

Maybe I can get the Yamaha MG10XU to work with Studio One, so I can work on some recordings by a friend.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon