Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy 80th Herbie!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The man. He seems cool as heck, too. I love his spirit. I hope I get to see him play live someday.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I loved him w/ Miles, I loved him w/ Headhunters and I had a blast when I was at

in 2004.

Herbie is the man why I urgently wanted a Fender Rhodes piano in 1970,- which I bought new in jan 1971 then.

It changed my life and I became a pro musician instead of a graphics designer about 7 years later.

But,- he also inspired me checking out the others more in depth too ... Chick, JoeZ, Keith Jarret and George Duke ...

Oh well, I came more or less from (psychedelic-, hard- and prog-) rock department and then this ...

They are ALL my heroes,- but for me,- Herbie is special ...

Happy birthday !

:thx:

A.C.

Happy Birthday, Herbie. - Definitely one of my heroes! :cheers:

The fact that he looks younger than me despite being 20 years older actually makes me a bit envious. :laugh:

Thanks for the music and inspiration, and for all yet to come! :2thu:

><>

Steve

I remember being introduced to 'Secrets' in the mid '90:s, being totally blown away. I had been listening to Stevie Wonder and Sly Stone since I was a kid but I hadn"t heard anything as sophisticated yet accessible before. It made me want to buy a Rhodes right away. A few years later, 'Dis Is Da Drum' was released, and then 'The New Standard', which got me into acoustic jazz (along with Michael Brecker"s 'Tales From The Hudson). IMHO this is the coolest thing about Herbie, his ability to stay relevant while staying true to his legacy. He has - almost singlehandedly - been able to influence every generation of keyboard players since he appeared on the scene. Those who were there remember his playing with Miles, the kids today see him jamming out with Jacob Collier and get to understand that he brings enormous knowledge to the table. Long may he reign!!

In a time when it feels like we're mourning the passing of musical legends every other week, it's great to celebrate a pioneer living into what my old piano teacher called "extra innings!"

This is hardly Herbie's most influential, jazz-centric material, but I will say that seeing this performance ten years ago has shaped my musical aesthetic and goals for the last decade:

[video:youtube]

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

What"s great about Herbie is that he"s just a great musician. Period. He"s so supremely in balance with himself that he has no qualms about playing any style of music, and he clearly does not care about pigeon holing himself based on past accomplishments. The man clearly just loves to play, whether it"s genre pushing the limits of jazz, playing synth pop, whatever....happy birthday to a wonderful human being, one who makes me smile each time I wake up! ð

About 20 years ago I heard Herbie play On Green Dolphin Street on the piano. Just skipping around on XM radio in my car and it came on. I was mesmerized. It spiraled me into a jazz-listening and studying endeavor for probably two years.

Prior to that I knew the name but to me he was "just" the guy that played on some Top-40 hit back in the day.

Impossible that he is 80 years old. What a talented person.

He is probably my #1. His influence on me and the amount of time I've spent absorbing and studying all his facets is incalculable.

I hope he is around for much longer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native