Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT: Staying in or going out?

I don't use mics at all anymore. In my small home studio, it doesn't make sense, They're a pain in the ass. My guitars, electric, acoustic electric and bass, all go directly from my small Blackstar 1 watt amp clean into my DAW. And then I go from there digitally.

I mic an amp once in a while. Mostly I either go straight in and drop plugins later or I run through my Tech 21 Tri-Ac which has analog emulations of Fender Tweed, Marshall combo and Mesa Boogie. It's a great pedal, using a battery powered device means less noise since DC cannot generate noise.

The Fender setting sounds fantastic on bass guitar too. With headphones on my neighbors one wall and one ceiling away are completely unaware of anythng. Better yet, if one of them makes a noise it cannot be captured by the mic and end up on the recording.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For recording at home, I go direct from my MFX/Amp Modelers into my HDR. No added noise, and I can record at 3AM, if I want, without the neighbors thinking the Apocalypse is nigh.

However, in the last couple of years, after playing in several Massed-Guitar ensembles, I've really been drawn back to the sound and feel of a real Amp. To that end, I went from one small KB Amp (Roland KC60), to one small KB Amp, and three very nice Guitar Amps (Peavey "Red Stripe" Studio Pro 112, Laney LX65R & Laney VC30 212), for slightly different sounds and venues.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Making good progress getting things sold, finding more stuff to flip.

Playing guitar every day, experimenting with running two different amps with multi-effects. I like how subtle some effects can be and still sound "3d" and provide a sense of motion.

Nice weather is back, went for a long, brisk walk. Changes the brain in a good way. Fresh air, birds singing, trees leafing out, flowers growing.

For how messed up things are and how long they are likely to stay that way, life is good.

Everybody be safe and be well! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That's what I thought. :)

I'm in there all the time, for work. My route covers most of the West Valley.

...and, we are definitely neighbors.

Yep, we are not that far apart.

Happy Trails?

Yep

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I generally don't post that publicly, as my employer is known to search for such. ;)

It's a smaller business that does shipping and deliveries. Currently, we are crazy busy, I did 6 days last week and this week looks like it may go that way, too.

I actually was in HT yesterday, probably will be again today.

That's what I thought. :)

I'm in there all the time, for work. My route covers most of the West Valley.

...and, we are definitely neighbors.

Who do you drive for?

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.