Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

Wow... some extremely talented folks on this forum. Many thanks to all those that submitted; I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to every one of these songs. A quick thank you also to everyone that contributes on the forum. Especially in these crazy, turbulent times, the thoughtful commentary helps me more than you will ever know.

Steve

DB I would like to submit a tune I wrote. I am waiting on a sax player to blow and intro and lead on it! What time frame do I have? I can have it mastered or just mixed. You tell me which you like better.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

DB I would like to submit a tune I wrote. I am waiting on a sax player to blow and intro and lead on it! What time frame do I have?

For Volume 1? By the end of this weekend if possible, Jim...but we'll almost certainly start into Volume 2 pretty quickly, so no rush.

Volume 1 only took a week and change to assemble, including several art work submissions. Gotta love technogy. :D:cool:

I can have it mastered or just mixed. You tell me which you like better.
Whatever works best for you, my brother. I'm flexible. We have both on Volume 1...works fine, so I'm not worried. :puff:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Max and Tusker - acknowledged, and thanks. I have a feeling Volume II may be along very shortly...why not, right? :idk::idea:

We'll give it until the end of the weekend for anyone else to submit to V1.

dB

Hi Dave. I was planning to submit a tune, but I thought the deadline was the end of April so I have not rushed to prepare it. (I have been surprisingly busy with other things this far into the lockdown...)

I was planning to start work on it next week, but no worries if I am too late....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Hi Dave. I was planning to submit a tune, but I thought the deadline was the end of April so I have not rushed to prepare it. (I have been surprisingly busy with other things this far into the lockdown...)

I was planning to start work on it next week, but no worries if I am too late....

It was the end of April, Anne...but that estimate was based in how long it used to take me to put these together years ago. Turns out we can do it a whole lot faster! :D

Thios is no problem at all - as you can see from the earlier posts, there are several people already working on tunes for Volume II (I've already got a track ready myself), so I'd say keep on doing what you're doing.

As long as it's this easy and we're all stuck at home, if there's enough interest I'm more than happy to crank out a few of these. :cool:

dB

I'm obviously still a newbie to Souncloud, but have to ask as I've spent so much time trying to find hidden menus and commands everywhere on the page: how do you find the notes that each person attached to their contribution?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm obviously still a newbie to Souncloud, but have to ask as I've spent so much time trying to find hidden menus and commands everywhere on the page: how do you find the notes that each person attached to their contribution?

Just click on the song title in the list and it will load the page for that song.

Thanks; it's very location-sensitive and I was clearly clicking in the wrong place before!

I should point out that I use Opera due to its fail-safe download manager.

I'll bet that Soundcloud behaves better on Safari, but I consider that a low-security browser.

Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward now to reading more about each person's submission.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

We're over 2000 combined plays now - over 500 in the last 24 hours. I did post it on MPN's FB and Twitter accounts, so that may have been a factor. :idk:

There's a Share button on the SoundCloud page, next to the Like button. Feel free to offer us up as potential entertainment for your friends and family if you feel it's appropriate.

dB

Over 2600 total plays so far. :)

Hey, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to why the project got closed for submissions and released before the end of April. I had also mentioned limiting the comp to around 20 submissions @~5:00 per piece. The reason I did that is because I think people have a finite atention span, and I think we should try to keep these to be digestible in a single sitting. A CD can hold 80 minutes, and an old school double vinyl LP a bit more...so that's the approximate max total time of project I shoot to hit. Vol. 1 is 85 minutes long.

Of course, the other reason Vol 1 got closed is because Vol 2 is going to go into production immediately...as in right now. Same deal as Vol 1 - all original, up to ~ 5:00, should probably be at least some keyboards.

Send 'em if you got 'em. FIle transfer/download link is best. DropBox, WeTransfer, etc.

dbryce@musicplayernetwork.com

dB

Balthazar's Dream "received" from dB and posted.

An earlier version of this tune was actually on the very first KC compilation. I like to think it's been significantly improved since then. The track features the Andromeda pretty prominently, and has this killer "female vocal" lead sound at the beginning I did on the Jupiter 8, using the pitch wheel to open and close the filter in addition to bending the pitch.

For anyone who's a fan of drummer Nick D'Virgilio, he plays on this track with me. The incredible Don Schiff does a killer job on the N/S stick bass as well.

dB

I have two, including the very first one with a red overlay. There were 251 red ones made - mine, and 250 of the production units.

My red unit is a pre-production pre-beta unit. It's the one we used in our big demo theatre when we introduced Andy at Winter NAMM 2000, and the unit I took around with me when I introduced it to the dealers and press. All the programs in it are original - none of them made it into the producton units, and a bunch of them were written during demos at the show...

...and it currently doesn't boot. :(

The Red Andy is the one I used on the track.

dB

882.thumb.jpg.1090dc1607c817b5395f991252236425.jpg

Argh, you're killing me by denying me the full bloat of a 6:34 piece! :laugh: Alright, let me dig a bit deeper for another 5-er...

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

My submission is just over 2' this time, so David can tag my unused 3' to his allocation. :-)

Well son of a bleep, now you tell me! Just sent you a 5:12-er! OK, hold on until I've had some sleep and I'll crank it out. I'd prefer to submit a piece of unabashed synth-centric rotating patch madness, just because its KC. Greatness is in the ear of the beholder. You may leap to turn it off.

The volume 1 pieces were humbling. I've been combing through a few times to pick up details and if anything, its surprisingly conservative. All the more reason I'll be pleased to offer some synth for synth's sake. You piano players in particular have chops I was just approaching when nerve damage made the fine shadings impossible. I can get the feels. The sound of woodshedding echoes through the land. I'll post an item-by-item thumbnail review list you can breeze through later.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Well son of a bleep, now you tell me! Just sent you a 5:12-er! OK, hold on until I've had some sleep and I'll crank it out. I'd prefer to submit a piece of unabashed synth-centric rotating patch madness, just because its KC.

:rocker:

Greatness is in the ear of the beholder. You may leap to turn it off.

I sincerely doubt it. :)

dB

Listened to the first volume of the Quarantunes and dug the variety! Some extraordinary stuff on there :thu::thu: :thu:

I'll be transferring a lil ditty for Volume II shortly, Dave.

Here's some info:

The tune is a reminiscence of a summer love lost.

Scarbee was used for Rhodes. The synth pad is a Prophet 6. The bass was played on a JU-06 module.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I've made another track, with the Kurzweil and Lexicon effect plus my multi-gate bank. I've essentially made a sequence in the PC3 that's digitally recorded, and is the main thing you're hearing, including the PC3 correction effects I've made in the machine. The added reverb makes the sound more spacious. Unfortunately, I'm not giving these correction effects away, but here's the full song 'Closure' in 16 bits/44.1kS/s:

closure44116.wav 1 min 55s CD quality

The thing is there's pretty much only synthesis sounds used, though some drums are sample derived, and no other instruments than the Kurz, played on it's 76 keyboard, nothing else, except of course the individual synth sounds are edited.

Theo V