Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

I think the neutral part of the quarantunes term is funny. Being at home shouldn't necessarily kill the thrill of making music, and an online effort has it's own charm. Maybe not compared to a real live situation, but nevertheless it's interesting to go over peoples music presentations, also with a less personally engaging technology.

In that context I'm glad Soundcloud seems to render my production at acceptable listening quality, but I repeat the suggestion about the download of the CD at CD quality, but maybe a AWS bucket or someone with a (temporally) high bandwidth flat rate internet connection to store the wav files on?

TV

In that context I'm glad Soundcloud seems to render my production at acceptable listening quality

Sound Cloud lets me upload the files at full res, and they play them back at the same rate - that's why I use it. What you're hearing on playback should be exactly what you sent to me.

I repeat the suggestion about the download of the CD at CD quality, but maybe a AWS bucket or someone with a (temporally) high bandwidth flat rate internet connection to store the wav files on?

I'm a bit reluctant to allow other people's original work to be downloaded for free from a site with my name on it...and I'm not sure I see the need...? Sound Cloud has an app that will let tunes on it be played back from pretty much any device.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Take a breath, brother. I"m just having fun here. This is not at all serious...no record deals rest on it or anything... :)

I was completely sincere when I said I thought you were kidding with the XIV thing. That"s why I said what i said...and frankly, I was looking forward to what I was hoping was going to be another cool idea, which was what I honestly anticipated you"d come back with. My error.

I also mean it when I say that names are important to me. It"s a part of the creative process, and the environment that led us back to doing this begs to have it"s story told, IMO. The album title is a good way to do that.

dB

Breath Taken! And fair dues, explanation accepted...I was thinking simple and direct, but yeah I can offer a few more if I think on it.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

What's "B-sides", precious?

http://www.vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/e/e1/Gollum_Render.png

dB

I know, right? DOES provoke some thought, lol. But if there WERE B-Sides, I'd be on them.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Nothing wrong with B-sides! Adam Ant saved his best/heaviest material for them, and prioritizes them at live shows. The original name of his first band was The B-Sides, before he got into Antmusic.

The covers compilation hasn't gotten started yet, from what I gather. Once it does, I'll contribute my Samba/Bossa arrangement of ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

A couple of other possible names:

ISO-BARS

Songs Under the Corona

Distancia Musica

Songs From There

Casa Musica

A bit silly I know , but hey it might inspire some others to suggest a few - I like the cover too btw :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I like the cover too btw

The more I look at it, the more I dig it. It encapsulates the dreariness coming from the house arrest thing, but shows we can still see the light of day (albeit through spotty glass). I've added it to the Sound Cloud page.

I also went iTunes on the playlist, and sorted it by first letter of artist name. Seems to flow nicely...

We're at nineteen tracks at the moment. Who else is planning on submitting?

dB

I would just like to commend Theo on submitting a track that, knowing him only from his posts, seems completely on point. Maybe a little Tom Waits influence in there?

And Craig Anderton's track "Floating on Heaven" puts my humble attempt at cramming a bunch of styles into a single tune to shame! That one reminds me of Danny Elfman in the Oingo Boingo days.

Lots of great stuff here, really enjoying it. Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's submissions.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

haha, ok so when can we start #15 :)

This is fun! Listened to all the tracks posted just now - great work from everyone! Maybe we can even do a collab song project/s - Be tough to pull off, but I reckon we'd get some cool stuff happening!

I like the cover too btw

The more I look at it, the more I dig it. It encapsulates the dreariness coming from the house arrest thing, but shows we can still see the light of day (albeit through spotty glass). I've added it to the Sound Cloud page.

I also went iTunes on the playlist, and sorted it by first letter of artist name. Seems to flow nicely...

We're at nineteen tracks at the moment. Who else is planning on submitting?

dB

Wow cool glad people liked it :)

So if we have other stuff on Spotify, it links? Does it notice if we have session credits on someone else's album (I did a bunch of clarinet/bass clarinet/alto clarinet work last summer)? Mostly I'm curious because another friends is pushing me towards Bandcamp, and I am almost done with my jazz album so want to choose the best place to post it, caring about the ability to replace a file if mistakes are found, block direct downloads etc.

Based on the discussion so far about this compilation, it sounds like Soundcloud has already addressed the concerns I had a few years ago (when I almost released some stuff prematurely). Due to the quarantine for instance, I'll have to stick with MIDI placeholder tracks on some stuff that will get replaced by live musicians later. This is also why I switched my compilation submission to one that is already final in that regard.

I am also impressed by the audio quality of this compilation. I do not recall Soundcloud previously allowing for user-specified sound file resolution and/or avoiding weird and ugly compression algorithms outside the control of the music producer. I guess the world has changed a lot since I last compared all the posting services I was aware of a couple of years ago, before I got "side-tracked" (and paid :-)) working on other people's albums.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So if we have other stuff on Spotify, it links?

I believe it's a result of Following on Sound Cloud. There are some of the folks who contributed to the comp (myself included) that have other Sound Cloud accounts. That's what it's streaming...

Check it out :cool:

I am also impressed by the audio quality of this compilation. I do not recall Soundcloud previously allowing for user-specified sound file resolution and/or avoiding weird and ugly compression algorithms outside the control of the music producer..

The reason I chose SC is specifically because they allow full res files - started a few years back. There are even 24 bit files in our comp - I posted what people sent me. I've had to do a bit of volume adjusting here and there, but nothing else.

To that end - a few of the files that were sent to me are mp3s. If the folks who sent those have access to the full res files, send 'em over and I'll swap them out.

It should also be noted that this is not a free Sound Cloud account - MPN is paying for us to be able to use the Nice Silverware. :D

dB

So, we're at 20 tracks, and the album is exactly 1:25:00 in length at the moment. Anybody else planning to jump in? Otherwise, this one is feeling pretty done to me. I'm digging the flow a whole bunch...and the quality of work is simply off the hook, gentlemen. :2thu:

Not bad considering we went from nothing a week ago to a pretty well fleshed out proiect that already has over 1200 combined plays. :cheers::w00t:

Click the album cover to jump to it.

N2413CM.jpg

dB

.......................It should also be noted that this is not a free Sound Cloud account - MPN is paying for us to be able to use the Nice Silverware. :D

dB

Dave is there somewhere we can send few $'s to assist with this? After all it is you (and MPN) doing all the heaving lifting here!

I've started listening to this today and it is So Good. I'm dearly impressed by the talent and skill shown by the submitters (so far - I'm only up to track 8. Just kidding!)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I"ll wait for the next volume to submit. Hopefully I"ll have a recording setup again then. Enjoying the list!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I appreciate the offer, but no worries. The banner ads at the top of the forum will be happy to cover it. :cool:

dB

oky doky :)

My reviews of each song for what it's worth:

Waltz for Karen: Al Quinn - pure class, the passion shows, Really enjoyed this Al.

Some Other Time (feat. Polyhedra) - Brad Kaenel: I"d love to be at a gig where this is played. So positive and the production is superb!

Floating on Heaven - Craig Anderson - I really like this song, and the compliment I want to pay it is this: it would sit very nicely indeed on one of Mike Oldfield"s albums such as Five Miles Out of Heaven"s Open. Great stuff.

Worlds Apart (feat. BigTown) - David Bryce: Don"t know who this Bryce guy is but damn this is a great rock song, it"s the type I love playing in my band. This could also be a killer Eurovision entry.

Drunken Angel - David Emm: the second of the David entries shows huge flair. I"d argue it"s classic prog done with style, enjoyed this a lot.

Archaic Faces - David Holloway: am guessing this guy is a forum noob, can"t comment as electronica stuff like this doesn"t appeal ;)

Clear Sky (feat. ROCKETSCIENCE) - drawback: I"m going to make the difficult call that this is my equal favourite song on this album. The production, the positive tone of the whole song, the EP solo, the interplay between keys and guitar. Love it!

La Belleza Que Se Va - Jazzooo: another one for my ongoing playlist. It"s smooth, it"s engaging and it"s a plain good song! It"s got class up the Jazzooo!

Virtual Blues - lightbg: I can listen to organ playing like this all day - thank you!

Dream Travel - marino: Beautiful song, great execution, enjoyed this so much marino.

Tobacco Road - Mark Schmieder: there are many compliments that can be paid to this song but I want to single out one: I listened to this before reading your description and assumed this was a live ensemble playing. Amazing stuff!

The Flowers - miden: Displays outright beauty, loved this, another one for the playlist.

December - Mike Boguski: Great playing, smokey sounding, made for the cinema!

Night Owl 1971 - Polychrest: Another excellent rocker! Again wish I was in a band playing this. Organ as crunchy as anything I"ve ever eaten!

Thin White Line (feat. Stickman) - Sam Mullins: a slow burner with a lot of style. Love how all the instruments sit so well in the mix and great vocals.

Thaw (feat. Noon Fifteen) - Samuel B. Lupowitz: what"s not to like about this one. Get Noon Fifteen down to Australia will you Samuel! Unsurprisingly great EP playing in the first half, then the rock out transition was such a cool surprise, great organ and synth work particularly at 4:20 or so! This is my other equal favourite on the whole album.

Maddy Gray - Scott Gould: Enjoyed this a very great deal. A story told well, nice organ playing and overall it has a real presence.

When The Earth Was Flat (feat. Focal Point Band) - Stevie b: Loved this one as well, another band I"d love to see! Loved the synth solo.

A Reasonably Difficult Ballad - thatdude: top notch song with lots to offer. I think you were concerned you shouldn"t submit this: there is zero reason why that was the case, this was excellent.

Blues Command - Theo Vereist: I think this is the perfect way to finish the album. It showcases the variety of the forum and like Samuel said it has a real Tom Waits vibe and that"s a great thing!

I've started listening to this today and it is So Good. I'm dearly impressed by the talent and skill shown by the submitters (so far - I'm only up to track 8. Just kidding!)

Joe,

I'm track 9 - you'll see the difference....... :facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"