Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum Dare- Tell me if/why you don't dig Neon Vines

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan.

The song is mediocre at best.

She is not a very good singer.

The beat is soooo 2006, it flattens the already mediocre song into a repetitive nothingburger.

To add insult to injury - bearing in mind this presentation is more about being "stylish" than anything else - the wronkled sheet backdrop, uninteresting lighting and massive overabundance of makeup are not helping.

I get that there is no way for her to make eye contact and not hose the entire production but one could at least get a second cheap-ass camera and hope there are some expressions on her face at some point.

I am skeptical of anybody singing that close to a large diaphragm condenser mic with no pop filter and not getting any sibilance or plosives. I doubt it is even on. Kudos for having a cord on there at least.

I vote send it to Planet Zero!!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Sort of funny, you couldn't find 1 positive.

Not asking you to change, you made your case.

Thanks !

OK, she's gorgeous, I like her outfit.

And all the gear set up to play with is awesome.

Mac user, points for that.

That's 4. :- D

It's an impressive display of skill with all the electronic devices. And she seems to know her way around a keyboard when she's soloing on that Roli Seaboard. Nice work.

Would I listen to it a 2nd time? Probably not, unless it was to look at the gear and see how she's operating it.

But then I'm old; modern approaches to pop music generally leave me cold.

Ask some much younger people what they think. They might have a different perspective.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Her gig is that it's all live. From what I understand it's all triggered live, looped live, and sung live. That's some impressive multi-tasking, particularly singing while soloing a guitar lead. This particular song is not her best. I've been following her channel for about a year. I'll see if I can dig up some better videos when I've got a chance.

No, I didn't list negatives as per your topic. Too bad, so sad. :blah:

Well, occasionally she uses a little too much live tuning on her voice for my taste, but it's nowhere near the level of some of the rappers now. This song she didn't use as much and that was nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Why is she any better than a million other artists out there? Why her? That would be my question. Seems like we could just pick any random artist and challenge people to offer up their criticism. I guess I don't understand the significance of this specific artist. Did I miss something?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I absolutely love this girl ! I've recently discovered her as I was searching for Roli Seaboard content as I plan to purchase one,

Her writing , producing and playing skills are excellent. she has a great sense of melody and to weave those very well crafted solo's into a modern contemporary tune using a cutting edge controller like the Roli is inspiring and right up my street. Oh wait, this thread is about if/why you don't like her. I can't find nothing to dislike here. A good catchy tune, well executed and entertaining.

Well, it's a forum dare so I guess you're allowed some latitude? For me, maybe it's less about why I don't dig this artist and more about why I dig so many other artists more? Something about authenticity?

Nevertheless, I proceeded with this dare. I was skipping through and happened to land on a lyric around the 1:45 mark, I heard "How deep is your love, is it like Nevada?" So I'm thinking hey, there's a catchy hook! I dug that lyric, but I'm thinking... nah... that can't be real. As I was navigating back to that point in the tune to double check, I'm thinking.. there are some pretty deep areas in Nevada, like those silver mines near Carson City? Could that be what she's talking about? Is the point being that if you dig deep enough, you might find love, and you might find silver at the same time? So I found my way back to the lyric - and unfortunately I misheard, it's Nirvana, not Nevada. So I'm not digging the tune as much anymore.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I don't hate on her. I think its interesting what she is doing. But as of late I have had time to discover a lot of talent through YouTube and patreon that are more enjoyable to listen to. It makes me feel better about generations younger than I am. From most television and late night shows you would think there is a dire lack of talent. It is good to know that is not the case.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I'm a gear head. I love her setup. She obviously has keyboard skills.

That out of the way....

Nope. Couldn't get thru it all. It seemed too sterile to me.

Personally, I can appreciate and dig someone's talent. That doesn't mean I like how they use the talent.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I don't hate on her. I think its interesting what she is doing. But as of late I have had time to discover a lot of talent through YouTube and patreon that are more enjoyable to listen to. It makes me feel better about generations younger than I am. From most television and late night shows you would think there is a dire lack of talent. It is good to know that is not the case.

This. There is more good new music and performances on YouTube than anyone has time to listen to.

Regarding video: She obviously has some talent and has worked hard to become proficient on her chosen technology. All good there...but that will never save an uninspired song. People like Imogen Heap understand that.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

That out of the way....

Personally, I can appreciate and dig someone's talent. That doesn't mean I like how they use the talent.

Its fun to compare perceptions.

You say its 'sterile'.

I heard emotion in her voice, and the lyrics. She was expressing IMO.

IOW, thats not sterile, to my ears.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

It's an impressive display of skill with all the electronic devices. And she seems to know her way around a keyboard when she's soloing on that Roli Seaboard. Nice work.

Would I listen to it a 2nd time? Probably not, unless it was to look at the gear and see how she's operating it.

But then I'm old; modern approaches to pop music generally leave me cold.

Ask some much younger people what they think. They might have a different perspective.

We are in the same demographic, I am 67.

I posted the song/performance because I enjoyed it and was impressed by the talented lady.

And her playing the Roli gear ? That sealed the deal.

I will explore her other songs. She has even more potential than we realize is my thinking.

[70's Songwriter]

I absolutely love this girl ! I've recently discovered her as I was searching for Roli Seaboard content as I plan to purchase one,

Her writing , producing and playing skills are excellent. she has a great sense of melody and to weave those very well crafted solo's into a modern contemporary tune using a cutting edge controller like the Roli is inspiring and right up my street. Oh wait, this thread is about if/why you don't like her. I can't find nothing to dislike here. A good catchy tune, well executed and entertaining.

Brother, I am with you on every point.

I see nothing to 'dislike ' on the performance, recording, skill, talent, song structure, lyrics.

[70's Songwriter]

That out of the way....

You say its 'sterile'.

:thu:

Hey Greg, I really do enjoy these topics you've started lately, in which we can express contrasting views without animosity.

I learn things, if anything by exploring more of what any artist you post about does.

All good!

Geez... I feel like the kid here. I'm but a wee 57 year old lad ;)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

To add insult to injury - bearing in mind this presentation is more about being "stylish" than anything else - the wronkled sheet backdrop, uninteresting lighting and massive overabundance of makeup are not helping.

:roll:

C'mon, Kuru - you're attributing this to intention, which it may be, but OTOH, maybe a) that's how she normally looks when she goes out or whatever, and 2) the sheet backdrop and "uninteresting lighting" could simply be she's doing this at a home studio where that's all she has. She clearly puts her money in her musical gear, the rest isn't critical.

What I'm saying here is similar to Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

The song wasn't my bag, but I dug elements of it and stuff that's been posted from her before. She has a good thing going and I hope she keeps it up.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why is she any better than a million other artists out there? Why her? That would be my question. Seems like we could just pick any random artist and challenge people to offer up their criticism. I guess I don't understand the significance of this specific artist. Did I miss something?

I don't view productive artists as a ' competition ' on who is ' best'. Too subjective.

she has 1.3 Million listeners on this 1 song alone. She has other songs on her channel.

So she has YouTube statistical significance is my guess.

That might explain my stumble into the 1 song.

Likely the ' herd effect'. Just the same, I am glad I found the video.

Its fun to see the diversity of replies here. Answers to your open questions might be there.

[70's Songwriter]

That out of the way....

You say its 'sterile'.

:thu:

Hey Greg, I really do enjoy these topics you've started lately, in which we can express contrasting views without animosity.

I learn things, if anything by exploring more of what any artist you post about does.

All good!

Geez... I feel like the kid here. I'm but a wee 57 year old lad ;)

57 ?? Wow, you are young, brother !

I haven't posted much but sometimes, I get on a little roll on what I ' think ' is musically interesting.

Of course what I think or post is going to be different.

whats fun is that there will always be differences.

Since we are all productive people, its fun to read the diversity here.

Its cool we can all deal with it, and keep on moving down the twisty road.

[70's Songwriter]

Not for me. The first 5 seconds turned me off right away. Irritating sounds. But I kept listening. It does get better, the chorus has a decent pop catchiness to it, but nothing exceptional. I noticed it was a cover so I checked out the original. The original is the source of much of the problem... to me, the song just isn't good enough to be worth covering. As for her talent and skills at what she is doing, that's certainly more than respectable, it's just not producing music I particularly care to hear. Really, anything that CAN be done with loopers is probably not going to be anything I care to hear. I prefer music that is not so repetitive and devoid of "humanity" in the playing of the parts. But then, I'm old.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Call me Captain Obvious, or what my take is...

A woman playing electronic keyboards. Not just piano etc etc.

AND she is singing WHILE playing a guitar solo on her Roli setup.

That takes skill, coordination, concentration.

The artist is am·bi·dex·trous.

Sure, maybe I am being fooled by cleverly clipped photo work.

However, the performance does not strike me as being 'phony '.

One of the constant refrains on this forum is currently, how few women [ more like none it seemed] perform

on electronic keyboards with skill. A main word here is 'currently ' lets say in the past 3-5 years.

[70's Songwriter]

I agree that it doesn't have soul. It's too polished and sounds plasticy because of it. Like so many other electronic music, she tried too hard to give every instrument/voice it's place in the mix, which you can hear because there is a audible "gap" between them. That makes it sound unnatural and plasticy to me.

Seeing her perform makes me nervous because she's dabbling 500 things at once, which is admirable, but it doesn't make for an easy watch.

Her voice sounds forced.

Way too much make-up.

But in the end, all of this is down to taste. I give her credit for doing it and following her passion the way she wants to.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

:roll:

C'mon, Kuru - you're attributing this to intention, which it may be, but OTOH, maybe a) that's how she normally looks when she goes out or whatever, and 2) the sheet backdrop and "uninteresting lighting" could simply be she's doing this at a home studio where that's all she has. She clearly puts her money in her musical gear, the rest isn't critical.

What I'm saying here is similar to Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

The song wasn't my bag, but I dug elements of it and stuff that's been posted from her before. She has a good thing going and I hope she keeps it up.

Sorry, I've been a photographer for over 30 years. When you move into video, the visuals are of primary importance. There is room for improvement in the video posted by the OP.

It doesn't have to be expensive or difficult to get a good look. I hope she ups her game there.

I responded to the title of the thread with my honest appraisal, those are simply my observations. You can take them as being worth what you paid for them, I'm fine with that. Certainly none of us are perfect, I never set the bar that high.

I said "insult to injury" because the song itself, the lyrics, the "story", and the vocal delivery are sub par in my opinion.

The bar has been set high, a great songwriter who isn't a great singer can deliver a much more compelling performance - Leonard Cohen comes to mind.

If a great songwriter IS a great singer then I am not merely impressed but blown away - Joni Mitchell, Prince and Billie Eilish and come to mind. My examples came from more or less nowhere too.

If she had some great tunes to work with I could easily overlook the rest of it. I would rather see her succeed than fail, I would love to hear her tackle a GOOD song and maybe she has.

The song in this video isn't good, I would dislike it regardless of who tried to sing it. Cheers, Kuru

Call me Captain Obvious, or what my take is...

A woman playing electronic keyboards. Not just piano etc etc.

AND she is singing WHILE playing a guitar solo on her Roli setup.

That takes skill, coordination, concentration.

The artist is am·bi·dex·trous.

That has nothing to do with being good music, you're talking like it's a sport not an art.