Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not-so-NGD: Last month's entry, Taylor 110CE

I didn't post about this when I first got it, because it just seemed out of place? At any rate . . .

Last month, back on Friday the 13th, right before pretty much everything around here (Maryland/D.C. area) shut down, I got myself a nice used Taylor 110CE. I'll spare you the comedy of errors that led to my getting this particular Guitar, let's just say my nearest GC was having a run of bad luck with their Acoustic department, and I was in a position where I was running out of time to return and exchange another Guitar that had some issues. As it was, I made it just in time, right before the next round of shut-downs.

The 110CE was one of Taylor's "budget" Guitars, made in Mexico, and mine is a 2017 model. It's still available online through almost every major web retailer, but the Taylor website shows it as discontinued? New ones are still going for $850-900, which isn't exactly "budget" pricing, until you see the prices of higher-end Taylors; I got mine used for $420, so I can't complain.

It has a solid Spruce top with laminated Walnut back & sides, and a sort of 'satin' finish, not quite flat, but not exactly a high-gloss finish, either. It feels amazingly comfortable, and inviting. I enjoy playing it as much as either of my SG's, which is saying something. I've only experimented a bit with the onboard Pre-Amp system, enough to know that it works, and has a decent sound. When I get to recording with it, I'll dig deeper into the electronic sound. Unlike a lot of current A/E's, it doesn't have an onboard Tuner, but I don't consider that a critical failing. The controls are unobtrusive, although they're not positioned for adjustments on the fly.

I've taken it outside with me pretty much every day since we all started bunkering at home, which was right after I got it. It's very playable, with a nice even tone, and a nice fast neck. My old Alvarez, which is a copy of some Martin model, is quite 'boomy' on the lower strings, by comparison, and I'm using the same string set on both. I much prefer the sound and feel of this Taylor, and I can see why serious Acoustic players are spending $2000+/- on the higher-end models.

My original thought in getting this was to have a Guitar for the "house jams" that rotate among a group of old friends, who all lived or hung out in a group house that finally disbanded a few years back. We were getting together a couple of weekends each month to sit around and play old tunes, before everyone was ordered to stay home. In the meantime, it's proven to be very good company, for all these days sitting at home.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE the Taylor guitars, congrats!

A good friend's fiance bought her one of the spendy ones since her old 110 (so old it's USA made and no cutaway) is on it's way to looking like Willie Nelson owned it.

The new one has an exotic wood top back and sides, a cutaway and the latest electronics. It plays easily, sounds gorgeous. Not sure the model but a smaller body with more curve to the waist.

I played it a couple of times. The first time, as I was handing it back, I said "There is just one thing wrong with this guitar."

She looked at me like "Oh no, here it comes."

I said, "It isn't mine!"

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have two electric, 2 nylon and 1 steel string acoustic Taylors and love them all. They are not getting the attention they deserve lately as my hands are getting shaky and giving me problems. I pretty much stick to just two other guitars for now, but I'm threatening to bust out my 3 Strats and see how the feel again! Good luck with your newly acquired Tayler Brother Winston! They are cool guitars. I love my steel string acoustic which has a cedar top with walnut back and sides Congrats! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Wonderful guitars. My Taylor 714 sat unplayed for years, because I'm an electric player & find acoustic strings really stiff. But last month I put some light gauge (11's IIRC) on it & it's now eminently playable. Of course the whole reason I changed strings was to have it playable at my girlfriend's monthly living room jams, & now we're stuck in the bunker. But it's ready to go whenever the world hits the PLAY button again.

Congrats on the new Taylor, Mr Psmith, may it serve you well, & may you discover all the songs which are hidden inside it.

Scott Fraser

Major walnut fan as well. I have posted stories-Fender Japan had both a Strat and Tele in walnut.

The Strat was amazing but, the compound radius neck weirded me out.

I played a 714 ce at the Tokyo Music Instrument Fair-I have a photo somewhere.

It felt amazing but to be honest, it didn't project like I would have expected.

At an event like that there is a constant background noise. But no one was playing near me.

It was still hard to hear myself. For nylon string guitars that is is a critical issue.

Aside from that only good comments.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491