Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What�s "your" board?

Hello all.

Music is such a great comfort/focus at this time. Here in Scotland, we are used to things being so miserable outside that we opt to stay in, though usually it is to do with the weather.

Anyway, with more time to appreciate the joy of playing music, what"s 'your' board? By this, I mean, what keyboard/instrument did you finally buy and be like 'Yes, this is the one'?

Living in a flat, I do not have a real piano. I grew up playing a Yamaha U1. In the flat, I have had a range of things from Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg until just last year, I bought a Kurzweil PC3x. I had been looking for the PC3a8 to get the better pianos but I got a great deal on the PC3x.

I have to say, I absolutely love the old triple strike pianos. I know some people hate them. But, the programmers have done an amazing job and the editing options appear endless. I own a Nord Stage 2 ex hp76, but I have grown to love and prefer the Horowitz Grand on the Kurzweil. The TP40 action also helps, compared to the TP100 in that particular Nord. I have edited the release, reduced the reverb and I am delighted with the sound. I also love many of the acoustic samples. Cannot see me switching from Kurzweil now.

What"s 'your' board?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you found something you like. I am fortunate to have a wonderful acoustic piano. However, I"m rather happy with a Yamaha CP88 for headphone practice. Before that, I enjoyed a Roland RD700nx. To date, the Yamaha is my favorite DP.

My "board" is my trusty PC1x ..... my main gig board (coupled with my XK1 and sometimes a 3rd synth ) .... tried replacing it with an SP6, but just not enough onboard control for me ... the PC1x has been a great board over the years - thinking of replacing with a PC4 .. but will see :)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I think my problem is that every new board I introduce scratches that itch (but not enough to make me get rid of older boards...).

That said, when I got my Wurlitzer 200, I just connected with it. The action on mine needs a little work, but even so, there's something about it that just feels right. I feel similarly about the $90 upright my wife and I brought home a few months ago... so great to finally have an acoustic piano, and this particular one is bright and bluesy with a fast action, perfect for my playing style.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

"My" boards are not mine....

I have a pretty decent Yamaha G2 grand piano at home, which after several years of adjustments and tweaking from my tech, has gained a respectable voice and good action.

However, a couple of years ago I had an encounter with a piano which seemed to be built for me. A Boesendorfer 200, with an incredible voice, and an action which I could only call telepathic. 15-year old, 30,000 euros. Which is *not* much considering that it's in a perfect state and the regular price is more than double that... but still way beyond my capability.

I have played many pianos in my life, some great ones among them. But this one goes beyond any Steinway, Yamaha, or any other that I've ever played. Not any Boesendorfer: This particular piano. Sigh.

Among synthesizers, my main solo voice is still the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, and as multi-purpose synth/workstation I still use the Kurzweil K2600R. I would really like to upgrade to a Kurzweil Forte 7, but haven't been able to get one for now.

Got the B-3 and a pair of 122"s in my studio, with B3X any other room and my patio is fair game, and I keep the Yammie Reface YC next to the bed for really lazy days.

Happier than a pig in mud...... :facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Easy for me to answer, Vintage Vibe with active circuits. I've owned several rhodes and VV is better than any of them. To be fair, none of the rhodes I owned were anywhere close to new.

I don't have the option of a real piano, but with the VV I don't miss it. DIfferent playing experience, but no less authentic and expressive.

The Mojo 61 is a perpetual source of happiness. The action is so good. Since most of my playing has to be through headphones, the Mojo is a far better use of my limited space than a real Hammond/Leslie.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have an FA-08 for my makeshift studio and an SP-6, these are my 'main' boards. I also have a Deep Mind 12 and a VR-09 that get used or not depending on my needs.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

My "board" changes with my mood. I mostly agree with Samuel, my 200A would be a great desert island choice. I have recently rekindled my love, however, with my Rhodes 88 MK II that I had pimped by Vintage Vibe several years ago (many, many, Benjamins). It's not quite a VV EP, but it is very close.
:nopity:

I bought Avantgrand N2 in 2011. Could never fit a grand in my house. Has been instrumental in better practicing, always staying in tune, and giving me instant feedback by easy recording and listening back. Yes, it was expensive but it has also saved me $250/year without the need to have to tune.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I own a Nord Stage 2 ex hp76, but I have grown to love and prefer the Horowitz Grand on the Kurzweil. The TP40 action also helps, compared to the TP100 in that particular Nord.
Have you ever tried running a MIDI cable and playing the Nord pianos from the Kurz action?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do most at-home practicing and playing on my Yamaha C3 acoustic grand. Early mornings and late evenings I've been playing the Casio PX-S3000. My electric gear sits in a closet until the next gig or for gig prep at home (which there is none of at the moment due to the virus). As I write this I wonder why I'm using the PX-S3000 while the CP4 sits in the closet. I think it's because, even though the CP4 is a superior digital piano, the PX-S3000 is slimmer and lighter and feels like a better fit with my mix station where I have it midi'ed to the MacBook Pro for notation that I'm working on. While I can excuse myself for leaving the electronic keyboards in the closet I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I haven't even turned on the A-100 in about a year. I usually go in phases and become obsessed with whatever I'm working on, which is currently solo jazz piano.

My "main" board would be a Kawai MP6. It's a generation or two old & probably doesn't measure up soundwise to some of the newer offerings out there but I love the action. It's the closest I have to the grand I had to sell when moving. And all that being said I think the Rhodes sound it has is killer.

In all seriousness...all of them. I wouldn't keep any that didn't meet this criterion. I gravitate toward the 1 or 2 that inspire my curiosity at the moment, often from post on this forum like this one:

Right now I'm back messing with FM-8. Thanks a lot David :fume:.

I bought Avantgrand N2 in 2011. Could never fit a grand in my house. Has been instrumental in better practicing, always staying in tune, and giving me instant feedback by easy recording and listening back. Yes, it was expensive but it has also saved me $250/year without the need to have to tune.

Love my N2 as well! It"s the perfect practice piano. Definitely made me a better player!

I own a Nord Stage 2 ex hp76, but I have grown to love and prefer the Horowitz Grand on the Kurzweil. The TP40 action also helps, compared to the TP100 in that particular Nord.
Have you ever tried running a MIDI cable and playing the Nord pianos from the Kurz action?

Hi Scott! I have indeed. It did sound very nice. And I did previously own a Nord Piano 2, with (albeit slightly different) TP40 Keyboard. But I still really like the triple strike. It just seems to work. For me, Nord pianos sound fantastic when other people are playing them. But when I play them myself, I am never entirely happy unless through headphones or seriously high end stereo speakers, which I do not own personally.

I remember you were a big fan of the Artis 7, and changed the springs? How did you find the German Grand compared to the older triple strike pianos?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I have a Korg GrandStage in the home studio â I've mentioned before how well I've connected with the action â the EP sounds are spectacular and APs are very good. I wish there were more editing points but so far there's not much I'd change if I could, and the action is so well tolerated that any other premium sounds I'd access would be VI anyway.

I have a Kawai KG2 Grand but having spent so many years playing glorious high-end and in-tune digital samples through headphones, I'm too spoiled to want play it much.

Here for the gear.

For gigging and home studio my board is a Nord Electro 5 HP. I chose it because it was the only one i could bring to gigs and rehersals on my shoulder in the Parisian Metro, but i like the sounds (Nefertiti is my epiano sound to go), and the knobby UI.

About the action, i trained myself on the it, so to get used to it.

At home, and for Jazz, i have a nice vertical Rameau acoustic piano.

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

MODX7...If only it had better action and aftertouch. Otherwise it is definitely my favorite board right now...so quick and easy to navigate and goes way deeper than I know how to so far. Still finding new things inside this thing. So much fun.

I might eventually look for a Montage when the used prices begin to drop a bit for the better action and more surface controls. I"ve definitely become a Yammie fanboy again.

I remember you were a big fan of the Artis 7, and changed the springs? How did you find the German Grand compared to the older triple strike pianos?

Good question. I rarely used the Artis 7 for piano, but my quick impression was that its German Grand was not the great leap forward one might have expected. How much that is a knock on the Artis' German Grand vs. a compliment on the relative strength of the triple strike is a cup half-empty or half-full question. ;-) I do find the PC4 a noticeable step up, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My answer is exactly same as dB's.... .. Kurzweil Forte ticks all my boxes, but my Kronos (unweighted) is a close second.

Funny - my Kronos (the unweighted board to which I alluded) is my #2 as well. :thu:

I also think they complement each other really well. I honestly think that between those two, I have everything I need...

...well, except for this ashtray. And that chair... :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L9u5_G1gTpI/UNvhH_4KWVI/AAAAAAAADUM/xweEK5msDgo/s1600/jerk11.jpeg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Probably my Yamaha U1. Japan made quality, simple and classy. Bought it new about 10 years ago from a dealer and it hope it stays in my family beyond my lifetime.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

My main board is an Arturia KeyStep, it's small, but very convenient sitting right next to my iMac Pro. I also still use my Emu Xboard 61 for actual keyboard playing. I want to get a Nektar GXP88 and an Expressive E Osmose when they're released later this year, then I'll probably phase out the Xboard.

Haven't played much in the last two weeks because I'm redoing the music room and adding shelving, etc. However "my" board would be my Yamaha Motif XF8. Does virtually everything I need, has a great action, very flexible. It's been my main board since May 2016. Even has an audio recorder so I can do quick recordings without needing a computer etc. Second is going to have to be my new-to-me Kurzweil PC3; fills in the spots that the Motif is a little short on (organs and orchestral). I'll be using the PC3 as my only board for the next six years or so in college so I'm trying to get acquainted with it anyways. Third would be the Korg Krome 61. The Motif plus the Krome has been my gigging setup for several years.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I can't find a keyboard that I enjoy playing more than my acoustic piano. Somehow, my mistakes just aren't as glaring. ;)

I've still got my old Kurzweil PC2X. I'm using it with Ravenscroft 275. I like it better than forking out the cash for a new board.

I'm not playing out much, but my Electro 3HP is so lightweight, that this is the board I'll take, along with a pair of QSC K10.

If I needed something new, I'd probably stick with Nord.

Stay safe everybody! :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo