Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Virtual Happy Hour/WWKCFH?

Since we're all stuck in various forms of isolation, and I've seen some pretty enjoyable uses of video conferencing tech lately, I wondered if any of you would be interested in using one of these platforms to get together virtually. No agenda, just getting together to say hi and for some, meet "in person" for the first time. We would have to pick a platform (Zoom, Skype, Facebookâ¦) and a time (realizing that we're in time zones all over the world).

Or, if you guys just want to keep arguing here about stereo vs. mono, Roland keyboard amps, which DP should I get, and Nord Lead, that's fine. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really love to participate if we can work something out. I'm sure more than a few of us have access to pro/corporate versions of some of the videoconferencing tech for hosting purposes. I can volunteer my Zoom account, provided this can happen at a time that won't conflict with my work needs.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Great idea. I don't think I've used one of these platforms. isn't there a limit on how many can participate? We have such a congenial bunch here, I can see this quickly becoming a big crowd.

If it happens, maybe folks could, at their option, do a 2 minute show and tell of their home rig.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

... if you guys just want to keep arguing here about stereo vs. mono, Roland keyboard amps, which DP should I get, and Nord Lead, that's fine. :D

You mean you don't consider this the be-all and end-all of your MPN existence?

HERETIC! STONE HIM!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I am using jitsi for my work, it worked fine but we are just 8.

We used zoom for another virtual community (Italians abroad), and it worked just fine with 25 people.

We were using the account of a participant.

Anyway, if the time is compatible with Paris, i would be glad to participate :->

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

If someone has a professional (paid) Zoom account, that would be a great solution. For free Zoom meetings, you're limited to 40 minutes and you can't do breakout rooms to discuss specific topics without clogging the main chat...

I don't think Google Hangouts has a hard limit, but I could be wrong. I do know that my friends who use this stuff professionally say that if you get beyond 10 people, Hangouts gets very cumbersome and Zoom takes the prize.

If we use Zoom, then some precautions need to be taken. The meeting organizer needs to generate a specific ID code for each meetup and not use the generic "you can use this every time" ID, and should post the meeting link NOWHERE except in this thread, with specific meeting time. ZoomBombing is definitely a thing, and it can get very ugly; if you publicly post an invitation, you're guaranteed to have an unusable meeting.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

If someone has a professional (paid) Zoom account, that would be a great solution.
Correct. I work for a large university, so I've been doing support for Zoom for the last three years (and pretty heavily for the past three weeks, as you can imagine). We've been upping the standards for security as necessary. I think we can have up to 300 in a meeting.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I've had a couple Zoom meetings and Zoom automatically upgraded them and let the meeting continue when the "free" 40 minute time limit was reached.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm thinking if it goes well and there seems to be interest, we could have a few of these. We could have them at different times to accommodate those in other parts of the world, jobs, schedules, etc. Of course, we should start with one, pick a day and time, and see how it goes.

I'm currently thinking afternoon or evening Thursday, Friday, or over the weekend, maybe we can be early enough so it's not too late for our friends in Europe, but I have No Idea where that puts the Aussies.

Sammy B. ;):D Since you're sort of the resident expert on it, can you set it up? Is it okay to use your uni account for something like this? We don't want to cause any trouble for you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Actually, I would love to say hello to all my virtual and real friends at KC! With the quarantine and all this working online, things can get claustrophobic sometimes.

I've had a couple Zoom meetings and Zoom automatically upgraded them and let the meeting continue when the "free" 40 minute time limit was reached.

Yeah, I think Zoom removed the 40-minutes limit for the emergency period.

If we use Zoom, then some precautions need to be taken. The meeting organizer needs to generate a specific ID code for each meetup and not use the generic "you can use this every time" ID, and should post the meeting link NOWHERE except in this thread, with specific meeting time. ZoomBombing is definitely a thing, and it can get very ugly; if you publicly post an invitation, you're guaranteed to have an unusable meeting.

I think this is wise advice, too.

Also, I think that we would definitely need a moderator. In my experience, Zoom does an horrible job of dealing with people speaking simultaneously...

I"d love to join in. Anyone know if you can use an iPhone or iPad as the camera while running Zoom on a pc? I know I can do it all from the iPad but it would be better to have it on the bigger screen.
There might be some trick or app to enable an iPhone or iPad to run as a standalone video source, but probably the easiest hack is to join the meeting on both devices, but only join audio/video on one device.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I"d love to join in. Anyone know if you can use an iPhone or iPad as the camera while running Zoom on a pc? I know I can do it all from the iPad but it would be better to have it on the bigger screen.
There might be some trick or app to enable an iPhone or iPad to run as a standalone video source, but probably the easiest hack is to join the meeting on both devices, but only join audio/video on one device.

Thanks - will give this a try. I will eventually buy a real web cam but right now everyone's out of stock for the one I'm looking at.

I"m currently teaching keys using Zoom, and use a second video device for an overhead view. I"m doing it as you describe, by joining the meeting as another 'person" in the virtual room. I don"t care for it at all for teaching. Better than nothing I guess. But we also use it for virtual meetings with the other instructors and for that, it"s very useful.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I thought I'd rig something up for tonight or so to test, I've used my phone for HD streaming before, and it allows the connection of an external USB audio interface, but because of the situation, YT has a lower limit of 1000 subscribers for phone streaming, and my phone channel has none, and my other YT has like a few hundred or so.

T

here is a list of videoconferencing tools, in case Zoom is not used. Skype has a 50 person capacity, and you don't need an account, you can join the meeting in a web browser.

https://videoconferencing.guide/

I'd been thinking Skype as well though I've never had more than three or four on at one time so unsure of its reliability but worth a try :thu: