Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B3X iPad with Viscount Legend Solo issues- midi

Can't get my lower drawbars to work with the iPad version of ik multi media B3X. The best I can do is get them to control both upper and lower manual simultaneously. It seems I can't get the Viscount to send upper drawbars on one midi channel and lowers on a separate channel.

Not 100% sure that's the problem but has anyone been able to get their legend solo to work well with that app?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know but it sounds like the board you have isn't sending CC messages. It could be sending sysex messages or nppn messages. The digital hammonds I had are like this. Maybe try the b3x profiles in settings and see if any happen to work. Maybe you'll be lucky.

FunMachine.

Well it seems on the viscount legend solo the left drawbars and the right drawbars both send the same cc. 12-20.

The app is expecting 21-29 on the right drawbars.

I don't think there is a way to change what the legend is sending, correct? This would pretty much mean I can only use the app for one manual.

Any solutions?

When youTap the Gear to go into the programming mode you can hold your finger on the drawbar you want to change until a floating menu comes up, and the last option is called 'Learn'. Tap learn, move the drawbar, and see if the value changes from the preset value to what you need. I had this issue with the Leslie speed value changing from 64 to 1.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

When youTap the Gear to go into the programming mode you can hold your finger on the drawbar you want to change until a floating menu comes up, and the last option is called 'Learn'. Tap learn, move the drawbar, and see if the value changes from the preset value to what you need. I had this issue with the Leslie speed value changing from 64 to 1.

Jake

I was able to do midi learn, yes. The issue is that it learns the left drawbars and the right drawbars, BOTH, with midi cc21-29. It doesn't distinguish between the left (upper) and right (lower) drawbars. So I pull the left lowest drawbar and the lowest drawbar on BOTH sets moves

Perhaps it"s a midi channel setting in the app? According to the Legend manual the drawbars send on their own channel

On midi out 1 the upper drawbars are transmitted on ch 1 and lower on ch 2. See page 71 (midi-1).

The app is set to upper: channel 1, lower: channel 2, pedal 3, program change: 1

So it appears to be set up correctly. The only thing that may be an issue is that those are listed under midi channels and they are listed as upper "manual" and lower "manual."

The drawbar CC's are configured under a different section called "midi controllers" there doesn't appear to be a midi channel setting for these.

Out of curiosity, Is B3X better sounding than key b legend? Thinking about getting the keyblegend module to complement my montage, but perhaps B3X is equally good or even better?

Different. And I would really like to use the app after springing $100. However, using both sets of drawbars doesn't seems to be in the cards with the viscount.

• 1 month later...
On midi out 1 the upper drawbars are transmitted on ch 1 and lower on ch 2. See page 71 (midi-1).

Note that this only applies on DIN midi out 1. For midi out 2 it's upper ch 4, lower ch 5 and pedal ch 6.

Now, to make this even more confusing, you can configure USB to behave like Midi out 1 OR Midi out 2. So, if USB is configured to the configuration of Midi out 2, your drawbars are using channels 4 and 5.

To change this:

[uSB TO HOST] PORT OPERATION

The [uSB TO HOST] connector on the rear panel can be used to exchange the MIDI data transmitted and

received by Legend Solo with external devices (personal computers, expander).

As described previously, Legend Solo can transmit MIDI data in different ways. With regard to the [uSB TO

HOST] port, you can select how to transmit MIDI data.

While holding down [TRANSPOSE SELECT] and pressing the C#1 key, the [uSB TO HOST] port operates like

[OUT 1].

While holding down [TRANSPOSE SELECT] and pressing the D#1 key, the [uSB TO HOST] port works like

[OUT 2]

Also, check if your Solo is configured to be a Master keyboard:

As seen in par. 3.2, Legend Solo are equipped with two ports for transmitting MIDI data on which messages

are sent differently and depending on the selected operating mode. Four operating modes of the MIDI

transmission ports are provided:

- MUTE: designed to play the Legend Solo and no other external connected expander or instrument

- EXPANDER: useful for playing an external sound generator (Expander) with the Legend Solo keyboard

- SEQUENCER: useful for recording the songs played on the Legend Solo with an external Sequencer

- MASTER KEYBOARD: useful for controlling external devices with the keyboard and the controls of Legend

Solo

And last but not least: I wouldn't be surprised if you can only use both drawbars when using Double mode, not single mode or split, as the Solo only received midi for both drawbars in double mode, maybe it only sends midi for both in double mode too.

I like the Visount Legends for their sound, but the interface and manual are a PITA! Configure once and never touch again...

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

That's not the problem, Mark. The app seems to only receive drawbars on channel one and they have different midi CCs

So the legend would have to be able to send all drawbars on one channel or the app would have to be able to receive on 2 channels. Neither of which seems to be the case.

That's not the problem, Mark. The app seems to only receive drawbars on channel one and they have different midi CCs

So the legend would have to be able to send all drawbars on one channel or the app would have to be able to receive on 2 channels. Neither of which seems to be the case.

I don't have the app and neither can find a manual, but I am sure the Legend won't send the data on one channel and even if it did, both lower and upper drawbars use the same CC's.

So if the app doesn't support it, this won't work. The only thing you could do is put assigning different channels and CCs to the drawbars of the app in the wishlist thread on IK Multimedia's forums. They will listen to things put in there by their users. You can find it here.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

What about using an app (MIDIflow maybe) to take the Legend MIDI CCs from the second channel, and remap them to send different CCs and move them to channel 1?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I got midiflow for iPad.

The issue is that my organ sends drawbar info on CC#12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ,19, 20.

It sends left drawbars on those CCs on channel 1 and right drawbars on the same CCs on channel 2.

However the app only receives drawbars on channel 1 and uses 12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20 for the left side and 21,22,,23,24,25,26,27,28 for the right side.

I wanted midiflow to take my input from channel 2 (13-20) and convert it to channel 1 (21-28). I was able to do that by restricting to channel 2 and remapping and then outputting to channel 1.

The problem now is I can"t get anything on channel 1 through.

Ideas? I"m using a viscount legend solo keyboard into the Hammond BX3 (ik multimedia app(

I would think that midiflow would let you pass all MIDI Channel 1 input through to MIDI Channel 1, even while taking select CC data coming in on MIDI Channel 2 and remapping it to the desired CCs and sending that out on channel 1 as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would think that midiflow would let you pass all MIDI Channel 1 input through to MIDI Channel 1, even while taking select CC data coming in on MIDI Channel 2 and remapping it to the desired CCs and sending that out on channel 1 as well.

I"m struggling to get it to figure out how to let stuff pass on channel 1 and only apply what I"m trying to do to channel 2. I can"t find a way to do that. Do you have the app?

• 1 month later...

Solved:

With midiflow I made 3 "chains" whatever they're called.

1. Input keyboard->modifier(restrict to channel 1)->virtual output

2. Input keyboard->modifiers (restrict to channel 2, filter out notes, incoming controller cc12, outgoing controller cc21, remap to channel 1 (repeat that for all drawbars- 13 to 22, 14 to 23, etc...)->virtual output

3. Input keyboard-> modifiers (restrict channel to all, restrict notes to range C2 to G9. [This stops me from playing the reverse presets on the lower board. I kept hitting them by accident. My lower board has 73 and not 61 keys, so the first octave functions as the reverse presets on a Hammond, which I don"t want and there is no way to turn that off in the app that I could find], filter out controllers)->virtual output

Input keyboard for me is viscount legend midi port.

My virtual output is named "bx"

You"ll want your lower tier keyboard, in my case, a Korg Grandstage outputting on Channel 2. You"ll want the upper manual, in my case the Legend Solo, obviously on channel 1.

IMG-20200408-193617.jpg

• 3 months later...

Wow! Thank you Kwyn for posting this.

I do have the same question as Improkeys regarding latency. Let us know what your experience is.

Larry

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons