Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long would you wait?

thats a myth- the 80 degree weather thing.

Maybe they meant weather above 80 Celsius? :wave:

that was funny ! There's a planet with that temp. Good place for testing 'theories '.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m pretty much in the same position as Allan, we had a nice offline chat the other day. I personally won"t feel '100%' comfortable until 1. I contract the virus and get through it (i.e., with immunity), or 2., a vaccine is developed, or 3. a treatment is developed/reasonably available. Option #2 is certainly the preferred course of action, but that appears to be a long way off. Until then, it"s proportion of comfort thereof, and there are a lot of random, extraneous variables involved...especially when it comes to playing out...and I"m not sure how my threshold will evolve as we begin to turn the corner on this thing. Unfortunately, I suspect some of my bandmates" attitudes will be considerably less cautious than my own.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I've considered a similar situation as I was supposed to have a few friends come and work on some recordings this summer (drums, keys, guitar). No way it's happening. For your own health you need to wait until there's a vaccine or the virus is no longer an issue. I wouldn't risk that for anything (and especially not with a loud guitarist). Don't do it. If it takes six months, isn't it better to be alive then than to go next week and be dead in a month?

Just an idea, maybe you guys can try and become beta testers for Bandhug.com? It's a site a friend has been working on and the goal is to have a platform where people can collaborate on songs while having video recorded at the same time. Basically something like what Bandhub was before it closed down. Doesn't work with iOS right now, but it's working with Mac, Windows, and Android. There's a Facebook group you can join and ask. Right now it's in development and we're trying to work out the kinks as it's a lot more involved than one would think to get something that syncs and works well. Not promotion, just an idea if you and these guys are chomping at the bit.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Now, I could live with possibly contracting a deadly virus, but a way too loud guitar player? No way, José.

And other comments about him playing loud, thanks for the :laugh:

That's a good and depressing point about

An added thought: When these guys say they won't play as loud on a gig, don't believe it. They'll be louder.

Oh my god, and how. Perhaps the most true statement I've read on this forum.

It's definitely a concern. As a guitar playing friend said to me though, if they play that loud, the clubs won't have them/us back. So hopefully that will keep it in check. We will see, if there are any clubs left when this is all over (one blues club started a fundraiser on FB to raise money for the rent. :( )

I haven't heard anything from them since the message thread the other night. Like I said, I'm letting it go for now until or unless they start pushing it. Even the drummer didn't respond and when the band broke up he told me how disappointed he was, so he might be unwilling until it's all over as well. I hope.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe stay at home. Just stay at home.

The guitarist is only thinking of himself. Also if hes too loud he won't change. And id feel peeved he leaves for bigger lights only to fail and think he can come sashaying back into town and make you all jump to his tune. Hee hee

My band are being very thoughtful on my behalf as I have only a 33% capacity lung condition. They were quick to stop practises as they were worried i could carc it easily if i caught it which was made apparent to them a year and a half ago when i got pneumonia after a gig. I caught it off the old guitarists wife who had the flu or something at the gig.

It knocked me about. Within a day i was ill eventually to a point when i wished it would take me but i got thru it but went from my 20 years of 50% lung capacity down to 33%. Now i have trouble walking let alone carrying gear. But i still sing strong and can sit playing all night thank god. Just cant lug without looking like ive done a marathon.

So good guys. And we have a new guitarists since then who doesnt play loud. Where the previous guitarist did. So a great lineup. One i wouldnt want to leave but also I think this will be my last band so hanging on to it.

My wife is very scared of loosing me so she has instilled a more careful attitude in me then id probably apply but i realise now this virus is bad.

So Joe stay at home. The guitarist is back because he failed and i dont feel you owe him anything as he left for so called greener pastures.

You asked what would i do.

Guitarist wise:

Well i would have looked for a new guitarist the night he left. In fact thats what i did and within a week i found the new guitarist online and local. Ironically i was sad the old guitarist left from the point of view he was a great guy. But relieved i would not have to wear earplugs again which i havent.

For the virus:

if it came to practising before the safety time is up id have to pick leaving the band for my wifes sake. She deserves it as she has to pickup the pieces if i cark it as any band wont be there after im a "piece of meat in the ground" will they.

Cheers from a place just approaching winter so flu season is also apon us shortly.

I'll tell you a quick story; the French government announced the first mesures on the 12 of mars. Full confinement started a few days later, Tuesday the 17.

On friday the 13 there was a rehearsal planned, the last rehersal for a show that had to be on the 21 (i kind of school show).

I was in doubt all the day, but finally after discussing with my family, and considering that we knew how bad it could get based on the italian situation at the time,

i announced to the other participants that i was giving up, and starting a strict confinement, so effectively stopping the show (that anyway didn't happended, but i did not know at the time).

I felt guilty, paranoid, maybe stupid.

The younger members of the show met for a beer that evening.

After 15 days, the (female) drummer told me that on the morning of the 14th she was ill, fever, lost smell, and a lot of other problems; it was the coronavirus.

After 15 days, she is fine, she did not needed hospital care.

But she is young; if i had not stopped the rehearsal i would have spoken all the evening with her (she is the drummer in another project i participate).

And may be i wouldn't had been here to write this message (i am not young anymore, you never know).

So, yes, stay home, music can wait.

And the most important, CEB, are you ok ?

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I hope CEB is doing well.

I've been the bad guy in the band -- I refuse to schedule rehearsals or gigs until there's clear evidence we're past this thing. Y'all want to play without me, that's AOK. In practical terms, that means we're done for the season here, and probably won't get together again until Sept/Oct, which should be OK with precautions.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

After I started this thread, I remembered a funny aside about the guitar player. He's French. I'm not saying his parents were from France, I'm saying he's so thick I can't always understand what he's saying French! I mean, I can't remember what chords it was, but one time he was telling me the chords to a tune and when I played them it was wrong. Turns out he said G and it sounded like D or vice versa, something like that.

I bring that up because I would think he knows how bad it is in Europe.

Also, Aussiekeys, we did look for another guitar player for a minute after he told us he was leaving. It was weird, I talked to someone I knew, so did someone else in the band, neither could do it, and then suddenly the bass player said he was going to explore other options and we were done. It seems without this guitar player the bass player wasn't interested. I had moved on to other things myself. I can keep going with that for as long as it takes.

Don't worry about me, I'm not doing it until I'm confident about my own health and that of others. If that takes a year, that's what it takes. It's too inconvenient to play in a plastic bubble. ;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And CEB look after yourself.

Being more of a lurker on here than poster for 15 years both you ....CEB and Joe are contributers on here i often read. Yeah fair dinkum. You hardly know me but i know you guys.

If you think about it you give pleasure and knowledge to more people than the data here shows.

If i was American id say "we're rooting for you"

But if i said that in Australia theyd think it was an orgy.

Hee hee. Ah the colloquialism of words eh!

Hope that gives you a laugh?

Stay positive. And joke/laugh your way thru it. Its helped me thru pneumonia and the more sedate damaged lung years.

This is gonna sound weird but hey i probably am weird but having had this lung problem for 20 years the way i coped with it was to treat it like its your badge of honour.

You know that scar on your face from that motorcycle race you almost won or that missing arm from the great white shark that got you in Bondi when you were competing in the Ironman race. And you still finished.

Find a thing, a joke, a badge of honour to keep in your head. its just another thing you have or can overcome and have a joke to your friends about it and it will strengthen your resolve. I do it. Ive got thru.

Or just read the shite I write and laugh your head off.

Hey i write too much thats why over the years i lurk more than write on here hee hee

CEB and Joe are contributers on here i often read. Yeah fair dinkum.

Mate everyone will be Googling that now!

Hee hee tell me what you find.

As it happens I can understand you without the benefit of Google, being a native Strine speaker. It"s English I struggle with!

I just checked Ed"s (CEB) FB page and he posted a couple of hours ago, so apparently he"s okay. I guess he just hasn"t visited KC in a bit.

Everything I know about Pop Culture and the Arts I learned from Aussie Man Reviews.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

As it happens I can understand you without the benefit of Google, being a native Strine speaker. It"s English I struggle with!

Hee hee so you're a "Dinky Di" Aussie

Let them google that hee hee.

Ken oath he's dinki di ole cobber.

"How long would you wait?"

Until the check clears!

Lol, you all know these days I make zilch, just some comedy.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

CEB I hope you are getting better.

As far as 80 degree weather killing it - No, it doesn't. We've had some hot days here in Florida, and the cases are still going up. We're up over 100 cases here in Brevard County, and that number is rising every day.

The drummer in one of my bands a few weeks ago suggested getting together for rehearsal. I gave a very stern and definite NO!

I love playing, and I enjoy the music and company with both bands, but I'm not going to risk it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I don't know Joe but the whole thing is annoying. They cancelled some big festivals into August this summer and musicians are hurting. What we don't know is if clubs and venues will shell out money for entertainment when they are operating in the red. The other huge thing is how many people will want to rush out and be next to 40 people crowded around a stage when the band is lifted. People in my band are wanting to try to practice virtually which is not realistic. Music is a face to face business most of the time. I realize we can't do that now but I'd rather wait it out than make huge changes in how I do things.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

So, this just happened. :rolleyes:

Yesterday's Dictionary.com word of the day was force majure. I was thinking my reply would be simply those two words. :D

834.png.3e878b256cd72d5bb767512dcfd4d655.png

Too many blanket statements in this thread.

1. A seasonal virus like the flu only means the rate on infections slows in the summer months, it does NOT mean it goes away completely. Plenty of people still get the flu in August but it's a fraction of the number who get it in December. Warm weather and higher humidity tends to suppress the growth of these types of viruses. Not stop, just slow it down. On the macro level if the rate of infections slows by say 50% well, that's still a good thing, it relieves the hospitals and buys us some time to develop treatments.

2. COVID 19 is one of many strains of COVID viruses. The others are mostly seasonal so it's not unreasonable to postulate this one could be seasonal too and many doctors have said that it is "fairly likely" but of course too soon to say for sure.. If some of you don't know that then you're not paying attention.

3. Even if it is seasonal, all doctors say if someone is infected and coughs in your face you are likely to get it regardless of the weather. See #1.

Bottom line it's incorrect to simply say the warm weather idea is bogus. It isn't. It's also incorrect to say we'll all be saved by the weather. We won't.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

So, this just happened. :rolleyes:

Yesterday's Dictionary.com word of the day was force majeure. I was thinking my reply would be simply those two words. :D

Corrected. :)

:facepalm: sorry. I usually chek that kinda shet.

Is it possible to practice social distancing while practicing with a band? Can members be 10 feet apart and still hear each other well enough to practice?

I could probably be 100 yards away from this guitar player and still hear him clearly. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I got a text from the bass player on Friday, "We're jamming tomorrow [saturday], if you want to break the fast" along with a photo of a set list. I told him no, then suggested doing future jams on his patio.

"Would you guys consider doing it with distancing? Like if we could set up on your patio so that everyone is 6+ feet apart, we don"t touch each other"s gear, and do the set up (and going through the house if necessary to get there) without coming close to each other? I know some bands have done 'driveway concerts' this way. Of course, your neighbors have to not mind the noise. I know you have less than most but you have some."

He lives on a dead end, that ends at the bayou. Behind his house is an empty cul-de-sac where the county bought and tore down all the houses including the slabs because they had been flooded numerous times (they offered him and his neighbors but they stayed). Beyond that is more empty land. So he doesn't have a lot of neighbors to bother.

That was yesterday morning. I had hoped he might discuss with the other guys at the jam and get back to me. He didn't.

I got a text from the bass player on Friday, "We're jamming tomorrow [saturday], if you want to break the fast" along with a photo of a set list. I told him no, then suggested doing future jams on his patio.

So did they "jam" without you, or not go at all? :idk:

:nopity: