Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

I didn't see the definition of "full res" after reviewing the full thread once more. 16-bit/44k or 24-bit at 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k (unlikely) or 96k? Lightly mastered, fully mastered, or complete unmastered? I'm not sure if you're going to level them in some way. Otherwise I'll aim for -1.2 dBFS peak, which I understand is the newer standard, but still might be too hot for jazz.

I'll do a rough cut in the morning. After switching which song I'm going to contribute, I just spent the evening re-doing the main "flute" lead for better articulations, added a short fanfare, and called it a wrap.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I didn't see the definition of "full res" after reviewing the full thread once more. 16-bit/44k or 24-bit at 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k (unlikely) or 96k?

16 or 24-bit - your choice. 44.1, please.

Lightly mastered, fully mastered, or complete unmastered?

Again, your call.

I'm not sure if you're going to level them in some way. Otherwise I'll aim for -1.2 dBFS peak, which I understand is the newer standard, but still might be too hot for jazz.

You can always compare it to the other tunes in the comp. My track is most definitely mastered.

"Thaw" by Samuel B. Lupowitz received and posted. That's fifteen tracks. I figure five or six more should do it for this volume.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm really going to enjoy listening to all of these. Scott, "Maddy Gray" wouldn't be out of place on a Tom Petty record; I detect a little bit of George Harrison in there too. Maybe once the submissions are capped for this installment, we can all discuss our tracks a bit?

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Maybe once the submissions are capped for this installment, we can all discuss our tracks a bit?

Depending on your writing/tune digesting style, there's no reason you can't start now. :idk:

Some people might like to digest a few tune at a time and make multiple posts, others might prefer to take in the body of work as a whole and make a single longer post....

The great beauty of this format is that we can do it any way we want.

dB

I just sent mine, down-sampled to 44.1 kHz and dithered to 16 bits. In my message I included the sound sources for the five instruments, as this may be of interest to other forum members if they like what they hear. Today was a reminder of why I hardly ever mix anymore, as it is so frustrating and time-consuming and fatiguing. At least when dealing with symphonic instruments and world instruments.

I agonized so much for years over this song, originally written (in a more elementary form) in 2005. No matter what I try to add to it, it seems like overkill, yet I felt compelled to try, as several people (all of whom despise jazz and find it unmelodic in general) kept asking me when I was going to add a melody atop the backing tracks. :-) So maybe someone will have a helpful suggestion, or all will like as-is. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've sent in my contribution yesterday, I was wondering if there's a 'CD quality" download from the soundcloud page. In case there is not, here's my CD Q file:

http://www.theover.org/Keybdmg/bluescommand44116mast.wav

It takes a few minutes to download the 4min39 47MB file from my server but it streams and works ok.

Some serious contributions I've heard up to early yesterday (dutch time)!

T.V.

Hi Dave, just a clarification... so it has to be original tunes only? I thought so, then I saw "My Funny Valentine" in the list...

I have a rather nice version of "O Que Serà" by Chico Barque, recorded live a few years ago. If that's not possible, I will think of something else.

I've sent in my contribution yesterday

Sent it where? I didn't get it. :idk:

Send the link or download to dbryce@musicplayernetwork.com

Can you please re-post the link where we can start listening?

Here ya go...

just a clarification... so it has to be original tunes only? I thought so, then I saw "My Funny Valentine" in the list...
:doh:

You are, of course, entirely correct. Pilot error on my part.

Brother Brad, we should actually pull your tune off this comp, and hold it for the "Quarantunes - Under The Covers" project.

I have a rather nice version of "O Que Serà" by Chico Barque, recorded live a few years ago. If that's not possible, I will think of something else.

Something else, please!

dB

just a clarification... so it has to be original tunes only? I thought so, then I saw "My Funny Valentine" in the list...
:doh:

You are, of course, entirely correct. Pilot error on my part.

Brother Brad, we should actually pull your tune off this comp, and hold it for the "Quarantunes - Under The Covers" project.

Something else, please!

dB

No worries, dB :thu: Shelve MFV and I will re-submit something original. It'll have to be something even older! :)

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

First of a couple of album covers for consideration :) I call this the Warhol / Pop Art option.

No, seriously, no!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Still not sure about the title "Quarantunes" it's a bit, well, naff - cutesy and topical but something, imho, akin to a "K-Tel Compilation television super sale album - (haha anyone remember those??) style name.

But that's just the view of a tiny fish in small pond haha!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Ok, I've sent my submission by Wetransfer. It's called "Dream Travel" (I know *I* am dreaming of traveling!)

It's a song which I realized for the Keyboard Performance classes at school, so it's not a very "personal" tune; it's in a generic, smooth jazz/pop style. And since the main purpose of the recording is student practice, the sound is a bit rough too. It would probably benefit from some extra treatment... if Dave can find the time... (I don't trust my system for mastering work)

It was conceived as one of those "Minus One" things... or better said, Minus Three. There are three keyboard parts. One is the solo synth, which includes an extended improvisation; the second keyboardist plays piano and Rhodes, and the third plays bass with the right hand and strings with the left hand.

Of course I submitted the complete tune for this comp - but for practicing purposes, I had to make *nine* different mixes of the damn thing! Without the solo part, without part2, without both, etc. :freak: Spoiled students... :D

Still not sure about the title "Quarantunes" it's a bit, well, naff - cutesy and topical but something, imho, akin to a "K-Tel Compilation television super sale album - (haha anyone remember those??) style name.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much more likely to consider a dissenting opinion if/when an alternate solution purported to be better is proposed. :idea::poke::D

"Dream Travel" received from marino and posted.

dB

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much more likely to consider a dissenting opinion if/when an alternate solution purported to be better is proposed. :idea::poke::D

"Dream Travel" received from marino and posted.

dB

I already did several posts back ;)

Correction: that front cover design should have read "The Warhol/Poop Art Option". :-)

Also concept! But is it a problem that the roll is almost exhausted?

Oh, I like Brad's concepts as well. Maybe the toilet paper design could be the "back" cover? :-)

KC XIV? I thought you were kidding. :D

We're supposed to be creative types - surely we can do better than that...and we've got all this time on our hands.. :idk:

Next thing you'll be suggesting a white cover with black text and no graphics. KC White Album? :roll:

I quite like both David's and Brad's covers - both better than mine, IMO - but I think I prefer Brad's a bit more.

Maybe the toilet paper design could be the "back" cover? :-)

What "back cover"? :confused:

dB

KC XIV? I thought you were kidding. :D

dB

But I did offer a suggestion, yes? not : "I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much more likely to consider a dissenting opinion if/when an alternate solution purported to be better is proposed." And just for the record I never said it purported to be better - it was just a suggestion as I thought the quarantunes was a bit naff (sorry,no offence meant) even if clever and topical. But hey, it's your dime, so do what you want. You can even remove my tune if you like, no skin off my nose!

Take a breath, brother. I"m just having fun here. This is not at all serious...no record deals rest on it or anything... :)

I was completely sincere when I said I thought you were kidding with the XIV thing. That"s why I said what i said...and frankly, I was looking forward to what I was hoping was going to be another cool idea, which was what I honestly anticipated you"d come back with. My error.

I also mean it when I say that names are important to me. It"s a part of the creative process, and the environment that led us back to doing this begs to have it"s story told, IMO. The album title is a good way to do that.

dB

I am seriously amazed by the talent on this forum! And humbled as well. But more importantly, these tunes are fun to listen to and have soul, so it isn't a "chore" to go through them out of respect for our forum members. I think we've all gotten a lot better since the last compilation (not that those were bad by any means either!).

If I ever get around to writing something, I'll be happy just to make it onto "KC Kompilation: The B-Sides"

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.