VR09: sending registration program changes , GM2 easy setup, facebook group
(1) registration program changes:
When studying again and again the VR09 documentation we struggled over the following line:
"You can specify the program change numbers that are transmitted from the MIDI OUT connector when you select a registration"
wait....'MIDI OUT connector'.... could it be... is it possible ... YES: in fact, BANK-PC changes can be send for each registration - but they are only transmitted on the 5-pin Midi sockets, not the midi-USB !
- triggering songbook software (e.g. MobileSheets for Windows)
- triggering external keys or DAWS/VST
Unfortunately it's not possible (until we hack this) to send registration program changes TO the VR.
load a registration, on VR open 'menu', goto to 'MIDI', set "Send PC switch " to ON + set bankMSB, bankLSB and PCnum (attention, PCnum is from 1-128 corresponding to midi values 0-127), save this back to the registration: now when loading this registration, the VR sends the MSB-LSB-PC program change.
Tip: Midiman/Midisport boxes are inexpensive and work fine for connecting the 5-Pin midi-sockets to PC-USB and other keys
Note : 2020 EDITOR updates will probably add an extension to the UPG-File editor for changing the PC/bank numbers.
(2) GM easy setup:
you can easily couple the VR to itself (without using software/hardware midi routers) for playing GM-sounds:
- connect 5-pin Midi out with Midi-in using a conventional midi (patch) cable
- in the VR menu "MIDI' set TX channels for upper/lower/bass (e.g. 7 for upper, 6 for lower, 5 for bass), eventually save this to a VR-registration
- In the EDITOR 'GM2' tab, load a GM sound to theses TX-Channels
note 1: 2020 update will eventually see coupling EDITOR GM registrations to the VR registrations
note 2: I really recommend discovering the the VR GM sounds, there are tons of acoustic sounds but particulary the VA 'oldschols' synths//strings/choirs pepped up with chorus are really FAT
(3) it's worth registering (maybe with an 'anonymous account') : https://www.facebook.com/groups/496867330478287