Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first SysEx dump

I'm embarrassed (or pleased) to say I've never needed to transfer SysEx data manually to update a synth etc.

Over the weekend I took delivery of a DX7 Mk 1 and that changed. It's in great condition but I wanted to get some patches into it other than the 32 defaults, so spent a few hours working out how to transfer SysEx data to it from my Mac. After a few hours of frustration I worked out how to do it and felt like I'd won an olympic medal at the end of it :D

So I finally broke the SysEx drought - only took me 35+ years ;)

I'd love to hear any recommendations of DX7 soundbanks you particularly love. I'm only using free ones at present and have seen some commercial ones, but interested in people's thoughts.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! For your next assignment, a tape dump.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Congratulations! For your next assignment, a tape dump.

Never :D

And Dave D. that's interesting as the couple I've found so far haven't grabbed me either.

Paul: you're a sicko! :D

Don't listen to these guys David. The DX-7 is one of the easiest synths to roll your own on. Yes, you can hunt down thousands of great sounding patches but with its simple straight forward interface you'll soon create your own bank that sounds just as good if not better.

If ever there were a synth you can't make a bad sound on this is it. Congrats and enjoy!

Don't listen to these guys David. The DX-7 is one of the easiest synths to roll your own on. Yes, you can hunt down thousands of great sounding patches but with it's simple straight forward interface you'll soon create your own bank that sounds just as good if not better.

If ever there were a synth you can't make a bad sound on this is it. Congrats and enjoy!

You sir are now officially going to hell :D

Patch dumps are for beginners! You haven't lived until you've programmed Roland parameter change sysex strings into your controller. My A800 Pro calculates the checksums for you but I remember programming a Peavey PC1600 and I'm pretty sure I had to calculate my own. Fun times!

Patch dumps are for beginners! You haven't lived until you've programmed Roland parameter change sysex strings into your controller. My A800 Pro calculates the checksums for you but I remember programming a Peavey PC1600 and I'm pretty sure I had to calculate my own. Fun times!

Fun times, like having your hemorrhoids removed with a cheese grater? :D

That's not exactly how I'd describe it, to be honest, but appreciate the, er, descriptive terminology! :)

Actually, I'll admit that my nerdiness quotient was well-satisfied when I figured out how to do this and my trialing & erroring with XORing hex values worked! In my experience, Roland stands out with manuals that clearly lay out everything you need to remotely edit almost every parameter in their synths (at least the ones I was working with at the time).

That's not exactly how I'd describe it, to be honest, but appreciate the, er, descriptive terminology! :)

Actually, I'll admit that my nerdiness quotient was well-satisfied when I figured out how to do this and my trialing & erroring with XORing hex values worked! In my experience, Roland stands out with manuals that clearly lay out everything you need to remotely edit almost every parameter in their synths (at least the ones I was working with at the time).

Yeah I can fully understand the satisfaction part - it's not simple or intuitive stuff so it's nice to get it right :)

*twitch* *twitch*

Sorry, just having an unpleasant flashback there to a time when I had to load patches (and sysex) into a room full of touchy keyboards, modules and effects units in order to mix a particular song....

Having everything right inside the computer these days is like magic (the good kind). I sometimes miss that imposing feeling of having/being around lots of gear though :) And of course computers can introduce their own hassles.

After confession, the priest had me study the Roland Fantom X6 sysex parameter manual for absolution.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage