Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGD (Fender Acoustisonic Strat)

I never thought I'd see the day where Fender got into the modeling game. I guess this is second gen anyway since they did a Tele of it, but I just became aware of these at the last NAMM show. I'm super stoked to have this and I'm really looking forward to doing a demo video.

http://musicwithmarky.com/files/fender.jpg

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice!! I haven't played one yet, our local GC is closed for now and they are a smaller store.

Probably have to go down to Lynnwood to try one out.

I have to give Fender credit for waiting until modeling was really good and for making variations on classic designs with very high QC and great design specs.

I think NOW is the "Golden Age" of Fender although they will never again create a new instrument from scratch that is as iconic as the Tele, Strat or P-Bass.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

My sense of the demos I've heard is that they put all their effort into the acoustic sounds, which are quite good, & sort of overlooked the electric sounds, which are average to unexciting. I hope you'll prove me wrong on this, I want to like it.
Scott Fraser

My sense of the demos I've heard is that they put all their effort into the acoustic sounds, which are quite good, & sort of overlooked the electric sounds, which are average to unexciting. I hope you'll prove me wrong on this, I want to like it.

We'll soon find out. I don't know what to expect yet. It's still charging. =]

Music With Marky - A YouTube Channel For Guitarists Who Want To Make Better Music

Thanks Mark! great review/demo! Nice to know a little fret end dressing will be needed. I agree that the acoustic sounds are better than the electric (although the electric is OK). I picked setting 3B before you commented on the slap pat body rhythm. I could do with or without it as long as it is controlled. Not sure if it worked on both 3A and 3B? It does have some good acoustic modeling and I like the fact that it's easy to play and feels good. I think it's cool to post your review(s) on equipment here. It's not like the guys posting their music here instead of the other thread. Not sure what strings came on it but I would probably run 10-50's with a wound 3rd. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I does have the wound 3rd and I think it's 10s, yes.

3A is the same sound ans 3B, but without the body noise pickup.

Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks Mark! great review/demo! Nice to know a little fret end dressing will be needed. I agree that the acoustic sounds are better than the electric (although the electric is OK). I picked setting 3B before you commented on the slap pat body rhythm. I could do with or without it as long as it is controlled. Not sure if it worked on both 3A and 3B? It does have some good acoustic modeling and I like the fact that it's easy to play and feels good. I think it's cool to post your review(s) on equipment here. It's not like the guys posting their music here instead of the other thread. Not sure what strings came on it but I would probably run 10-50's with a wound 3rd. :thu:

I watched on my laptop, which are tiny speakers not to be trusted for any critical evaluations. That said, all the acoustic sounds seemed like minute variations on the same sample. The electric sounds were just baffling. "Fat, with distortion"? We might be able to find a pedal which provides that, but 1000% better. Really good sounding acoustic modeling. Utterly baffling as to the choices they've made in terms of acoustic variety, & weak electric models.
Scott Fraser

I watched on my laptop, which are tiny speakers not to be trusted for any critical evaluations. That said, all the acoustic sounds seemed like minute variations on the same sample. The electric sounds were just baffling. "Fat, with distortion"? We might be able to find a pedal which provides that, but 1000% better. Really good sounding acoustic modeling. Utterly baffling as to the choices they've made in terms of acoustic variety, & weak electric models.

Thanks for checking out the vid, Scott. My hope is the video demos give people an honest idea of an instrument so they can decide if they would buy it or not. I agree on the electric models. I am rather happy with the acoustic sounds, however.

Congrats Mark! Can't wait to hear it and get a review/demo! :thu:

I hope it's cool to post this here. I did the demo video:

An honest demo, I still want one. Good sound, clear video - kudos!

You would do well to learn to dress your own frets, it really isn't that hard. Stewmac.com has the tools and instructions. Start on a Squier, learn a complete setup.

Not only to you get to keep all the money you would have spent on techs, but - who is going to set a guitar up just the way you like it, better than YOU?

Thanks for checking out the vid, Scott. My hope is the video demos give people an honest idea of an instrument so they can decide if they would buy it or not. I agree on the electric models. I am rather happy with the acoustic sounds, however.

I just listened on my laptop speakers too. I like the acoustic sounds, I wanna try the 3 setting with the percussion stuff. I do a little bit of it, would be fun to do more.

I like the electric guitar tones but I cover a gamut and clear clean tones are needed often. I can always add gain and get it singing. If there is too much gain it is difficult to subtract it with 3 knobs although I suppose one could blend the clean electric with the dirty. If the dirty was really dirty I wouldn't be happy with it.

All the blend options are a curiosity point for me, I am happy to never touch a single knob while playing.

In fact I am considering putting an electric guitar together with one pickup and an output jack. No volume, no "tone", no switch.

Congrats Mark! Can't wait to hear it and get a review/demo! :thu:

I hope it's cool to post this here. I did the demo video:

An honest demo, I still want one. Good sound, clear video - kudos!

You would do well to learn to dress your own frets, it really isn't that hard. Stewmac.com has the tools and instructions. Start on a Squier, learn a complete setup.

Not only to you get to keep all the money you would have spent on techs, but - who is going to set a guitar up just the way you like it, better than YOU?

Certainly if there was ever a time to undertake a new skill, it's now!

Certainly if there was ever a time to undertake a new skill, it's now!

Dad was a master cabinet maker and had a shop behind the house. So I grew up woodworking, shade tree mechanic-ing, etc.

When I started, resources for learning were very limited compared to what is available now. My brother and I modified lots of "tools" to make the things we needed.

I still use the pair of toenail clippers he carefully ground to make fret pullers. They work as good as anything I've tried or seen, gently lift the frets out while controlling chipping.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for cheap guitars, buy a couple of them and learn. Once you get it, you can tweak all of your guitars to play just how you want them.

I spent quite a few years doing guitar repair/modification/setup as a full time job. Was the local Fender and Gibson warranty repair tech at different points.

Things were VERY different back then, I remember my brother writhg a letter to Gibson and ordering a replacement neck for a Gibson ES-335 that had a badly repaired headstock break that was broken again after the repair. Firewood at that point. They just sent him one, I don't remember what it cost but it was very reasonable. Perfect fit, guitar repaired, no finish but we had a nitro lacquer spray set up. Customer was happy.

I don't think you could do that now!!! Cheers, Kuru