Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me spend my money

Old fart here retiring soon. Haven"t had time/energy to perform the last 10 years or so.

I currently have a Roland rd170 that I need to upgrade. Have an electro 3 for a top board.

Need something 88 key that works well for all the old stuff. Blues, classic rock, country,

And 80"s stuff. The px-5s looks tempting at 24 pounds. Possibly a used Moxf or krome 88 local.

Oops, meant a USED Moxf or krome available local

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a lightweight hammer action 88-key all-rounder, Casios are lightweight, well-priced, and shallow in depth so you can keep your second board close. Plus their action is above average for a lightweight board. Of the Casios, the PX5S has the best MIDI functionality, while the PX560 has a nicer interface. For a more detailed comparison, see https://casiomusicgear.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/the-definitive-px-5s-vs-px-560-comparison/

The new Roland RD-88 would be another shallow board to consider, in a similar price range.

If depth isn't an issue, the used MOXF8 and Krome 8 you mention would be generally more capable than the Casios (though as always, each will always do some tricks the others will not). Personally, I'd probably take the Yamaha just for liking its sounds best. But a lot of that is subjective.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If you are using a PX5s to play the Electro"s pianos - excellent choice.

However, the PX has AP of its own that is kind of dated. And no usable organs (except Farfisa). Nice Rhodes and Wurlies. Alright Clavs. An unusual sounding synth. Not very good rompler stuff (guitars,strings,orch.instr.,etc)

I"m not really raggin on the PX5 - I used one for gigging from 2013 til late last year when I quit gigging. But the last couple years it was a controller for my Nord stage 90% of the time. Great piano-feeling board. 24 lbs! Still have it setup in my 'studio'.

I"d say it depends what sounds your looking to get out of your second board, and what sounds you"re looking to control out of your Electro (ifany).

Maybe a newer Casio? Can"t go wrong with a used Yamaha, depending on model/price/keybed. Ixnay on the omekray.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

You can"t see plug an expression pedal into a px5s without 3rd party mumbo jumbo. Casio has newer boards that fixed this shortcoming.

I personally am considering MODX8 for the weight plus features if I keep playing after the 'Rona. CP88 has a nicer action but I want something sort of similar to the Kronos" patch control.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'd suggest taking a look at the Kurzweil PC4 or Yamaha MOXF8. Also a cheaper option would be a Kurzweil SP6, or Kawai ES110. Or a really nice hammer-action board would be a Kawai MP7SE or ES8.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

No mention of budget. Your choices start at under $400 for a basic 88 key slab with piano and extra sounds to $4,500+ for a Nord Stage 3 88 which is at the the upper end of this category budget.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

All these guys are doing is making it complicated to figure out how to spend your money. I'll make it simple..........

Just send it to me. PM me if interested. :w00t:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Budget in a trip to Sweetwater. :laugh: Its one of the few ways Our Kind can really demo a broad enough range to make the ultimate best decision. I've had a Sam Ash and a few others do it well, but keys aren't guitar-string common. They also don't make big bucks for smaller dealers. If you have a Nord, you already know how to shop sensibly, so no lie. Once the viral wave passes, consider it a business trip.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Thanks everyone. MOXF8 has been mentioned quite a few times. I think there is a couple used ones within driving distance. Probably would cover all the bases that I would need in a live cover band. At least better than a Px5s.

I live out in the Ozarks. Where is Sweetwater?

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

I played a pedal steel gig a few times with a keyboard player who used one of these. I never laid hands on it but it had a big variety of sounds.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88--roland-juno-ds88-88-key-synthesizer

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread. Found a used Roland DS88. Cheaper and should be fine to knock off

some rust. Again, I am an old fart wanting to get back into music and performing live dive bar gigs. It would be my first step into

a workstation/arranger type of keyboard. Paired with an electro 3.

Any cons or anyithing to consider about the Roland DS88?? Thanks