Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

James Poyser and friends - Amazing Grace

James Poyser shared what can be construed as the keyboardist's version of the Imagine celebrity video, on every steroid available.

In his words:

Amazing Grace

There are very few songs that provide such comfort to so many in difficult times. It really doesn"t matter who you areâ¦age, beliefs, ethnicity, orientation...

Amazing Grace meets us where we are.

I asked 12 of my friends, 12 of the finest musicians on the planet,

to help transcend together through all 12 keys...each playing in a new key, a new voice, a new color

and then transposing up a 1/2 step to lift up the next player, as we all should do: lift up the next person we meet.

May there be Amazing Grace moving through our lives at all times ðð¾ðð¾

IGTV video

I'll let you discover who the other 11 players are. Considering his circles, there's a good chance your favourite living jazz/pop/gospel keyboardist is part of it.

Another nice moment to get us through this.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of those players show boat licks, problem with that in most cases is that you lose the essence of the song. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. Two or three of them in the video get it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I was hoping hoping hoping that someone would play it straight... NOPE!

Can't you do that yourself at home?

edit: This is not meant to be a jab at ya. It's a genuine question. I just sat down and played it straight in a few keys. Looking forward to get more harmonic inspiration when I listen back to the people in the video.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Some of those players show boat licks, problem with that in most cases is that you lose the essence of the song. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. Two or three of them in the video get it.

And that's why you have a record contract and these guys don't.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

This was fantastic thank you for sharing. I loved each and every take. It is humbling to see the humble setting of some of these guys. I always picture these giants to have something like Gerald Clayton's set up. Not so.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

You can feel how you want to feel about it but I disagree pretty strongly with this take. This video isn't about them backing up a singer at some half time show, it is about interpreting a song through the lens of who they are as players. None of it was showboaty to me. There were 12 masterful voices, and I'm sure they ALL feel humble in the company of most of the other players on this video.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Very much respect you, Outkaster, and always have. On this one, I came away with the same sense as Bobby. I loved that each injected themselves into their interpretation - which is kinda what this was about - while not calling undue attention to flash w/o substance, in my opinion.

Without crossing the religion line on this forum, I am very very much acquainted with the origins of this song, and John Newton's original lyrics and versions. This tune means a great great deal to me. And I personally felt they did a fine job for the sake of the tune. Just my 0.02.

It's also worth pointing out that JP specifically said to each bring a different voice or colour, so yeah, they can't all just play it straight up either. Like Tim and Bobby, I felt it represented the identity of each player well. Cory has chops but loves to break it down. His performance also touched me. Glasper is, well, Glasper. Same for Hiromi, and so on. They each brought their own flavour.

I got pretty emotional the first time and have watched it a few times since.

Oh, and let's not forget the man Travis Sayles who probably has played the song as many times as Cory, and maybe even more. :) Please do check him out if anyone is unfamiliar.

Sorry some of the essence was lot on a couple of them for me that's all. Yes there was a ton of heavy hitters on that clip. To each their own.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Of course we like to critique styles and chops and takes, but the essence of this song certainly is apropos for what"s going on right now. I grew up with the Judy Collins version, during a time of terrible discord and division. No matter who plays it or how they play it, the song has tremendous healing power.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

That was a lot of fun! Some heavy-hitters pretty early on there. Love the "tag, you're it" style of the video, with each player setting up the next player's key.

This may confirm that I am tone deaf, so just to clarify, you're saying each person played in a different key?

Edit: I just reread the original note... yeah, all 12 keys. I am tone deaf

Hey thanks for that! I was hoping hoping hoping that someone would play it straight... NOPE! I guess that wasn't going to happen, but that's OK, it was great and it's exceedingly clear that keyboard players are essential!

Trying to learn the lingo here, by straight up, do you mean just playing basic triads?

Hey thanks for that! I was hoping hoping hoping that someone would play it straight... NOPE! I guess that wasn't going to happen, but that's OK, it was great and it's exceedingly clear that keyboard players are essential!

Trying to learn the lingo here, by straight up, do you mean just playing basic triads?

Hey Brilliant, by "playing it straight", what I was getting at is that many versions of the song are very simple, tinged with gospel, and LOADED with passion in a very stripped down manner.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Inspiring and impressive. It was like that old strongman test at the circus where you pick up a sledgehammer and pound a device that shoots a weight up a scale, at the top of which is a bell. Each one of these players rang the bell forcefully and stylishly. Andâirony alertâto use a term that should resonate around here, not one of them, given the assignment, is a transposeur.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks Eric for sharing this amazing video...and a very interesting discussion. I just tried playing 'amazing grace' in all 12 keys. It"s interesting, obviously in some keys you can let loose, start throwing in subs, licks, etc, and in other keys, just laying it down with some soul and sticking to the melody is a challenge. I now have an 'amazing grace etude' to throw into my practice routine!

Mind blowing performances in this clip, and truly inspiring hearing/seeing these incredible players just eat up the tough keys for breakfast!