Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jupiter X- Oscillator Drift

At 3:55. The new Jupiter simulates temperature based oscillator drift. Not sure how I feel about that. That was was a two edge sword. You can scale it or turn it off.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Older Roland romplers also have that feature called "Analog Feel". I don't know whether they improved on its realism.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

That's just gross. It puts the synth out of tune. The analog feel parameter on my XPs and Fantoms modulates the pitch of an oscillator with a random wave LFO. It's actually pretty cool. In small amounts it adds animation, and makes things less sterile while still sounding in tune.

I just watched the whole video - including annoying Anderton guy. Shows how much is going on in my life right now. Anyway I didn't realize it had speakers... could be kinda useful at times. The patch/program LEDs in the middle display other info when knobs and sliders are moved, which would definitely be useful.

The vintage Roland lover in me is really attracted to this monstrosity. I hope this passes.

Thanks CEB - that is a very drool-worthy instrument, I like all the grit/de-tuning, makes it seem more real.

Never owned a Jupiter 8, but did get to play around with the one at the music store I worked at in the early 80's - that thing sat there FOREVER - nobody could afford the $3K (or whatever it was). Finally got sold years later to a touring band with cash.

As to the annoying Anderton's guy - I kinda like his enthusiasm and inability to filter himself (kinda like Robin Williams on a talk show). Definitely an acquired taste though. Hate to think what he must have been like in a classroom back when he was a kid though...

If you're going to model the instability of VCOs warming up, why not go all the way? This synth needs an autotune button! :laugh:

There could be a marketing reason Roland included this feature - along with the ageing parameters also demonstrated in the video. Maybe it brings the Jupiter X closer to the real deals when the inevitable one on one comparisons start showing up? I'm sure they've done these in house.