Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DP�s that have stood the test of time

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout the 1990's I gigged with Yamaha piano modules (TX-1P and P50m; still have the TX-1P)

Allan, I still use the P50m that I bought from you in my live rig. I layer it with the K-Sounds Kawai samples in my Triton. I have actually gotten compliments on my live piano tone. The P50m provides the right amount of 'cut', and the Kawai samples provide the authenticity.

Stuff and things.

P 50m in a Rock band is killer. Accurate and authentic simulation of an acoustic grand is overrated in an electric band.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Accurate and authentic simulation of an acoustic grand is overrated in an electric band.

which I guess is why so many people still like the old Motif Power Grand patch, which Yamaha eventually made available for later models. That piano was maybe 8 mb? Maybe less.

Similarly, one of the pianos sounds in the Korg SV1 was the old Korg SG-1D sound, which I sometimes used when I gigged with that board, it can just work really nicely.

And of course, there have always been people relying happily on the old Kurzweil Triple Strike.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I also liked the SG-1D piano sound back in the day. I played one on gigs for many years and it had one of my all time favorite actions.

JC

I ditched my DX7 with Roland MKS20 for a Korg SG1D, one of the first weighted DPs. What convinced me was a Sting video with Kenny Kirkland playing Korg. It was a heavy beast but it was still less weight than Rhodes. Truth be told, I played a used one in store years later and was amazed how bad acoustic piano sounded; oh well, it was like 1987.

BTW - if anyone knows that Sting video with KK, I'd love to watch it again. I've never been able to find it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251