Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What will you do with this time?

It is a strange time. Most of us have probably been asked to "shelter in place", not going out except for essential things.

If you are passionate about photography like I am, what will you do with this time? Will you continue processing your backlog of photos? Try to create new content (blogs, etc.)? Learn new post-processing techniques? Take on new challenges to photograph the things around you that you usually don't do?

Related to that last question is an awesome exercise where you try to photograph as many cool things around your apartment, back yard, house, or whatever and make it really compelling, practicing new compositions, new techniques, different genres of photography, utilizing new lenses that are ordinarily not used for that purpose, and approaching everything with a fresh perspective. I would heartily encourage you to do this if you don't already.

If you never do portrait photography, perhaps this would be a good time to experiment with this. Or if you've never tried your hand at "light painting", give it a go. Macro? Why not? Panos, sure, even if it's in a tiny apartment! 

What post-processing can make your images better? Perhaps it might be time to figure out how to dodge and burn. This is a technique going back many decades, one. utilized, as the name "dodge and burn" implies, in the darkroom. Luminosity masks is a great thing to learn, and can help target specific areas. For instance, I use luminosity masks to target the night sky specifically so that I may apply some noise reduction to the sky but not to the foreground or the stars. Layer masks is a beautiful thing. We could learn how to do a better job organizing our photos in Lightroom or whatever program we use that has some sort of file management system.

We can go to lynda.com, YouTube, Phlearn, National Parks At Night, or other places to learn new techniques.

Although we may not be able to run out and photograph, this is a time when we can still step up our creativity, knowledge, and techniques.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. That's a good idea. I've been backlogged on my photos, so I have been processing them and trying to get them done.

I took this photo at home, was photographing stuff I am going to sell, turned around and took one of this. I left the ugly cord in place on purpose, because it is there. Adds a bit of incongruity.

Mostly, I am engaged in music and in clearing out excess inventory by photographing it and selling it.

Cheers, Kuru

789.thumb.jpg.165d29b9cf77b6323ceb0dbd6f5b8194.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Cool, I have been selling some books and processing night photos and organizing things. But really, I have been working quite a bit at home and have been surprisingly busy. The one nice thing is that I don't have to wake up super early and rush to get out of the house and then sit in traffic for 45 minutes one way.

Ahhh, I remember driving in Southern California!!!

Originally from Fresno - I blame my parents! I've driven in the Los Angeles area many times.

Drove in San Francisco once with a stick shift, that took years off of my life, to say nothing of the poor, abused clutch!

If you ever make it up to these parts try to get through Seattle late at night and not on a weekend.

I don't think they ever imagined it would get so large, 4 pm and the freeways in all directions are a huge parking lot radiating frustration.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.