Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

I'll try to make my track "Blues Command" the coming week, processing it through my not finished but usable studio tools. I suppose the required hand in format is 44.1/16 wav file, or would it be better to have 24 bits and possibly 96kHz studio quality to do additional processing/volume matching ?

Theo V

haha Quarantunes is topical for sure...my thought was keeping it simple with something like KC XIV

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Quarantuesday the latest.

Good one. :hugegrin:

I'd love to be in it if I can do so in time. And is it too late to suggest the name "Quarantunes"?

Not at all...but I'm thinking it'll need to be "Quarantunes Volume 1".

Man, I wish I was good enough to get on there.

I only speak for myself (but assume I do for most) when I say that (a) you're probably being modest and (b) this is a community effort - give it a try!

:yeahthat:

"A Reasonably Difficult Ballad" received from Thatdude. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

"Worlds Apart" added by dB.

This is going to be much easier than the other ones. MPN now has a SoundCloud account, I've already uploaded the first five tracks at full res (hooray for SoundCloud) and created a playlist for the comp. I can add the tunes as they come in (latest submission is at the top), and we can watch it grow in real time. Kinda cool...

It's here: Quarantunes Volume 1

:keynana::rocker::cheers:

dB

Dave,

So far everyone sounds amazing. Great stuff, guys!

I was wondering if you could insert a little background on my track over at SoundCloud. Basically I wanted to combine a bit of Hammond and Big Band as homage to Wild Bill Davis and Jimmy McGriff, with a bit of Freddy Green thrown in. Hammond = B3X on an iPad mini 5, bones. saxes, and guitar = Roland JV1010, and my buddy Don Williams helped me program my Beat Buddy for drums.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the submissions.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

"When The World Was Flat" by Stevie b and "Archaic Faces" by David Holloway received and posted.

Some of these are showing up with a note saying the person sending it will understand if I don't think it's good enough to make it onto the compilation. Let me be perfectly clear about this: if you send me a tune that you think is good enough to post not only on this forum but on SoundCloud, I'm going to add it to the compilation.

It's neither my position nor my desire to judge the quality of other people's music. If you're proud of your work, that's good enough for me.

dB

Dave,

Thanks for making quick work of this. Everything is sounding real good and a nice variety.

When you get a chance can you edit my entry on Sound Cloud, When the Earth Was Flat, with these credits.

When the Earth Was Flat â stevie b

Song written by Steve Barnard

Performed by Focal Point Band

Steve Barnard â keys & vox

Wil Hamblen â guitar & vox

Eddie Slade â drums

Mike Costley â guitar

Tommy Saunders - bass

:thu: - Thanks

Requested changes made. :thu:

Man, this is easy!!!! When I was making these projects previously, it took forever - people needed to send me their files, and we had to wait until all the tracks were in to begin production. I then sequenced and mastered them, then did liner notes and co-ordinated art work, then had the CDs pressed, then actually physically mailed them out.

Suffice it to say I'm loving this current process to bits. :w00t:

dB

I'll be working on one this week, or digging through my files. Have been doing online teaching and a virtual (for now) church gig, and am grateful for the $ - with stage gigs in the toilet, but really need to do something of my own to stay sane.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'd be provisionally interested, but its hard to say how my dabblings might stand up alongside those of people whose skills place mine closer to the simian category.

Your "simian dabblings" will be unique to yourself, and by definition, that makes them interesting to me. :)

For a book I did years ago about mixing, I posted tracks that people could mix. The idea was to include a CD with the book that would show how mixes could differ radically from one person to another, even with the same material.

Now, some of the mixes are super-polished, and some were very simple and rough. But they were ALL good because they gave different perspectives.

Now you have me REALLY curious about what simian dabblings sound like!

It's funny how a definite target can cause re-evaluation. :-) I've been working full-time on this song for the past few days, stopping the voice in my head that says "good enough" when I know better. Laziness is something I only experience with computer-based production, but I can't call musicians to my house during the quarantine so I am stuck spending hours with fine-tuning of articulations and re-takes etc.

Likely completion date is now tomorrow. I've extended the piece and added more parts and have re-recorded everything from scratch except bass and drums. Final pre-mix step will be to record real clarinet with mics. The acoustic piano and Rhodes are now more prominent in this piece than before as well, but not just because of who's going to hear it first. I definitely feel inferior after hearing the submissions so far. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I may have to wait for Volume II. The iMac, which is my recording computer and has +/- $1000 of software on it and all the recording goodies, needs replacement, but we're not in a good place to buy another one right now. It's totally dead, but at least it's backed up. We have an HP laptop, but it's used for other things, isn't the most powerful, and I probably shouldn't clog it up, plus none of my recording equipment works with Windows (except for the Yamaha MG10XU mixer). I also have had very little luck with it and audio in the past, but I'm not a big Windows user. Kind of tempted to look at buying a replacement power supply board for our ancient Apple iBook G4 so I could get it running just for tracking. I could try recording to the iPad with the Yamaha mixer, but I use a good bit of plugins and automation and things of that sort to get a really nice result in recordings. Wouldn't be able to do that with the iPad. :idk:

Maybe I'll just focus on redoing the music room for now. Enjoying your submissions everyone!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hah; just as I wrapped up my more ethereal piece with the wild free-form section in the middle and my best keyboard solo, I changed my mind again, so I will be submitting the generic riff-oriented fast-paced stride piece instead. It'll fit in better with the other material, and though it has no keyboard solo, the piano is more prominent than in the other piece. Mostly, it will be quicker to mix, as it only has (virtual MIDI-based) trumpet, flute, upright bass, piano, and drums. The other piece has fourteen instruments altogether! They take turns in call/response, but that sort of stuff is really hard to even do well-balanced quick mixes, and anyway I'm not quite well enough yet to play live wind instruments. Just thankful I'm still alive and didn't have to go for a ventilator. A few scary nights was all.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Cool!

If you want to submit a piece of music, send me a full res file via something like WeTransfer or DropBox to dbryce@musicplayernetwork.com.

Please feel free to talk about your submission in the thread, and/or send me notes to include with the tune when I post it on Sound Cloud. Share whatever you want - talk about why the piece exists, what tools you used to make it, etc.

dB