Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT: Staying in or going out?

I do not know what rubbish you folks watch or rather are fed by way of News over there in the USA but according to UK News and the appeal that the Mayor of New York has posted you are still a good few weeks away from the peak of the virus pandemic.

We here in the UK are two weeks behind Italy and we are still about three weeks away from our peak.

It is not going to be business as usual in April.

Information on what precautions to have in place on a personal level are out there, yes they maybe from a different Country but they can still be valid for you.

It is up to you to protect your family and yourself.

Assuming everything is going to be OK is fraught with danger.

Contrary to what you may have been fed the virus may not produce mild symptoms, we have had a health 19 year old girl die from contracting coronavirus.

If you take my advice research up on precautions and go OTT on them.

Be safe.

Col

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe things are relatively better in the US than people realize. I was on a pandemic task force 10-15 years ago. Things may sound bad on the news but the possibility of an Avian Flu crossover had us scared to shit. The protocols and plans in place were established and refined in 2008. There are medical resource shortages but ... things would have been a hell of a lot worse if 2008 had not happened. There was a huge awakening in the US in regards to business continuity management as a result of 9/11/01. Those imperatives carried over into pandemic preparedness. It could have been worse.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Eventually the non-hoaders are going to turn on the hoarders, then it's going to get nasty. I think some people are shopping every day and it makes hard on those of us who just get what we need. It almost forces us to become them just to survive.
Jenny S.

So far, while the panic buying is still in evidence, PEOPLE haven"t gotten crazy here in D/FW.

IOW, while I"ve noticed things like dry pet food (?) and tomatoes (??) disappear, there haven"t been any skirmishes. Civility still rules.

In the meantime, we"re using our pantry and freezer judiciously, and supplementing our usual purchasing pattern with some 'just in case' items, like a couple containers of shelf-stable almond milk.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Here in Arizona most of the stores have recovered from the hoarders all except for paper products. We have enough because we hoard TP automatically, we buy it in packages of 24 rolls at a time as a matter of course, even before the panic, so when the panic hit we got a second pack just in case. So we quit buying it, except for the wife's mother, who cannot go shopping by herself anymore, we got her a 24 pack at 6:00 AM on Tuesday this week. There were at least a hundred seniors in line at the Walmart ahead of us, (it was a seniors only hour from 6AM to 7AM) but they were all hampered with shopping carts, we could get down the side isles to the paper products in time to score a 24 pack, but there was plenty that day so no one seemed to get short changed while we were there. We were out the door before 6:10 AM TP booty in hand.

Otherwise here in The Phoenix AZ area the food stores are well stocked, although Trader Joe's will only let a few folks in at a time with a limit on how much they can buy, so even though TJ's is my go to food store, I avoid it until they lift the restrictions. I shop Sprouts Market instead for all my organic produce and other items. Sprouts Farmers Market stays open without restrictions except limits on the purchase of some things. All in all our stores are catching up gradually with no real drastic shortages here yet.

I went to the store today and the only thing in the entire paper aisle was 4 boxes of Kleenex. They did have noodles for the first time in two weeks. Zero hot dogs, zero sausages, very little butter, only a few bags of frozen veggies. I ordered TP last week since I gave up trying find any. It's coming from China so 3 to 5 weeks. Fortunately we did buy some before it disappeared. Food items being gone doesn't effect me because l never buy food from a super market, only local and farmer's market.
Jenny S.

Sprouts Farmers market is in the following states with numbers of stores after each state;

Alabama (3) Arizona (42) California (126) Colorado (32) Delaware (1) Florida (23) Georgia (16) Kansas (5) Louisiana (1) Maryland (5) Missouri (3) North Carolina (5) New Jersey (1) New Mexico (9) Nevada (13) Oklahoma (11) Pennsylvania (2) South Carolina (1) Tennessee (6) Texas (47) Utah (5) Virginia (1) Washington (4)

Here in the suburbs of Detroit, it's kind of funny to see what items have been selling out. I went to a nearby Sam's Club, and while the obvious toilet paper, tissues, and paper towels were gone, they were also cleaned out of milk, eggs, and oddly enough, Bertoli's alfredo sauce. They had plenty of Classico tomato pasta sauce, but there was no pasta of any kind. Another store by my house was cleaned out of every kind of pasta except for lasagna. And that store had no loaves of bread available, and their meat inventory was quite depleted. Now, I can see wanting to buy up a lot of hand sanitizer and disinfectant, but come on, we are not going to run out of cows and chickens. And I heard that somebody tried unsuccessfully to return a big package of toilet paper at Costco for a refund. Sorry dude, but toilet paper is a UFO sale: U F***ing Own it! LOL!
I rock; therefore, I am.

Sprouts Farmers market is in the following states with numbers of stores after each state;

Alabama (3) Arizona (42) California (126) Colorado (32) Delaware (1) Florida (23) Georgia (16) Kansas (5) Louisiana (1) Maryland (5) Missouri (3) North Carolina (5) New Jersey (1) New Mexico (9) Nevada (13) Oklahoma (11) Pennsylvania (2) South Carolina (1) Tennessee (6) Texas (47) Utah (5) Virginia (1) Washington (4)

I just got home from a trip to Sprouts. They were out of most of what I was looking for. Fine with produce, no pasta, all the bulk grains had been pre-bagged, & they were out of granola & rice. Thanks to the hoarders, who don't seem to know the virus doesn't stop food from growing, I couldn't get what I wanted.

Scott Fraser

Our Sprouts is relatively well stocked but we are miles outside of Phoenix and the other little towns surrounding Phoenix like Peoria, Glendale, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and the other outlying towns We are the farthest north and west in the Phoenix Metroplex in Surprise, so I guess there is a lot fewer people shopping here than Phoenix and LA.

Everything we'd planned has gone by the wayside. Steve Hackett concert in Jacksonville, postponed, wedding in southern Georgia postponed until next spring and our trip to Savannah cancelled. As far as grocery shopping, here on the north Atlantic coast of Florida, it hasn't been bad. We have a local Publix that's very close to us, but they're not consistently stocked. We have another one farther away in the boonies which is about a half hour drive one way that is more consistently stocked. Paper products are the big problem. We're well stocked now. My wife does most of the shopping. I told her I'll give her a break and search for paper products tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm playing a lot and laying down a lot of tracks on my new DAW system which is working perfectly with my new laptop.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Suggestion from up here by D.C. - Dollar stores and little neighborhood bodegas hadn't all been cleared out of paper products, might be worth a side trip.

My wife and I went out in the pre-dawn hours yesterday, to see how the early-opening for Seniors looked at our two nearest grocery stores, to decide which one we wanted to try this morning. Food supplies are good, paper products are nil.

Right before everything shut down, I'd picked up a nice used Taylor 110CE, so I've been spending a lot of time in my backyard with it.

Quick addition: As of 8 o'clock tonight, Gov. Hogan of Maryland has issued what is essentially a Shelter-in-place order. If you're not shopping for groceries or medicine, or going to a medical appointment, stay home. I made my last trip to the store at 6 this morning, so I'm set for now.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

desertbluesman and I are neighbors, apparently. :D

I am still out working, as my job has been deemed "essential" for the time being. I see many scared people.

I am not going out otherwise, except randomly for groceries.

I am glad to have the things I really need, and glad that music can be a solo thing.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

After some clarification concerning our Governor's Stay-at-home order, it seems that gardeners (like me) and housekeepers are exempt, while not "essential".

I get it, since we can function as second-tier caregivers, particularly housekeepers. At least my work doesn't entail going into anyone's house, much less making their beds, cleaning their bathrooms or doing their laundry! If you never respected Maid service before, give that a good long thought right about now, if you would.

Still, I've cut way back on my work, and only go shopping for essentials once a week, or every 10 days.

I find myself approaching my grocery list strategically, prioritizing the things we really need, and waiting until we REALLY need them before making a run to the store. Fortunately, there are Senior hours at our nearest supermarket, and I just qualify, so I'm shopping at 6 in the morning, when the store is leased crowded, and there have been as few people as possible sharing the air in the confined space.

It's been nearly a month since my last major outing, to go see Steve Hackett back on March 6th, so I can't complain about that. I'm very grateful to have a big yard of my own to work in, and a bunch of Synths & MFX with User Patches waiting to be filled. I could probably stay busy until June, if I had to, and it's looking like that's our earliest likely 'all-clear to go back outside' date.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The same. ;)

I think we are about 10 miles apart. Possibly, less.

desertbluesman and I are neighbors, apparently. :D.

I live in a town on the NW corner of the Phoenix area near Sun City West and Sun City Grand. Where are you in relation to that?

Just hiding out, learning which microphone is good for what.

All of them are good for everything but everything is a lot of stuff.

Hoping to find combinations that fit right together so mixing is easy.

Tonight I tried a Heil PR40 and a CAD D82 ribbon on my Rainsong OM1000 with new strings. Fantastic if acoustic is a main instrument, too much bass if a part player. I can just roll bass off, easy.

I aimed the ribbon just behind the bridge and the Heil at the 12 fret. Sounded like a sweet dreadnaught but without any boom. Best acoustic recording tone I've gotten so far.

Anybody else learning studio tricks?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Anybody else learning studio tricks?

I'm a recording engineer by trade, so this is my business. I've been doing this about 45 years & what I find is that I'm always learning new approaches, hearing things as if for the first time, & always getting to a point where I feel I might actually have a grasp on this process. And I'm very glad that is still the case.

With guitars, in the last few years I've been very happy with spaced omni pairs. For many years I recorded guitar in XY stereo, which has the benefit of mono compatibility (a whole other hugely important topic I'm passionate about, but some other time,) but has a very safe, non-dramatic stereo spread. ORTF has good mono, & a wonderful stereo image, but doesn't apply all that well to very close recording. But spaced omni is very forgiving about mono, & has good stereo, & is especially useful up close, like with instruments which don't really have much of an inherent true stereo character, like acoustic guitar. I've been using stereo pairs of Neumann U87s, a natural which sounds good on everything under the sun, or a pair of Neumann M149 tube mics, which just exude clean, bright detail, & more recently a pair of small diaphragm Sennheiser MKH80s, which are ultra transparent jacks of all trades. Each has a different sound & different application. I'd be hard pressed to say I had a favorite. The biggest problem with having an enormous number of really fine mics is deciding which gets used today.

Scott Fraser

Yep, we are not that far apart.

Happy Trails?

I think we are about 10 miles apart. Possibly, less.

Cotton Lane and Bell road here.

The hoarders are forcing the the rest of us to hoard just to survive. These people are SICK and they need to get help right away. If everyone shopped like they did, everyone would have what they need. I bet if coffee shops and restaurants where open people would be stealing the TP and towels. I try to follow the rules and be nice but it's getting really hard. If I see any one hoarding I'm going let them know that they are selfish and inconsiderate. It's 15 miles from my house to the nearest market and it's a small one. It's not like I can go down the block everyday and check on what they have. Gas is not cheap here.

On a more positive note, the rain is lightening up and we will be able start working on our outdoor projects soon as it dries up a little. That should raise our spirits.

Jenny S.

Keep up the good Spirits SurferGirl...you might talk to the store owner and suggest limits signs be put on the shelves and enforced at the register to keep people from stockpiling and hoarding. Good luck out there! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Purchase limits & senior shopping hours are being tried here, with mixed results. Panic-purchased foods are staying available (who the F hoards MILK?), but TP, paper towels and several cleaning supplies are still rare as panda bears.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

After I got home had a cup of coffee and calmed down, I realized how selfish I was. Medical personnel, first responders and people who work in essential businesses are risking their lives while I complain about not getting some rice and a few supplies.
Jenny S.

My wife found several packages of the napkins we like today, so she got us one package, and left the rest for others. We did manage to get some toilet paper a few weeks back at Walmart, which came in 24 roll packages. We also left more TP on the shelves for others. So we are set for paper products except paper towels. She missed them by a few seconds when she found the napkins today. The stores here are starting to catch up a little here in the Sun City West area on the NW corner of the cities in the Phoenix Arizona area. Food supplies are not quite, but almost up to normal stock levels in most stores here, so the hording of food is kept to a minimum in that department.

It'll turn around in a little bit and start getting back to normal. We can't yet find rice here either surfergirl, but for fresh foods and those things that won't last long enough for hoarding we are in good shape. Lynda and I eat mostly organic fresh produce and meats, so we are not put out by a shortage of hoard-able goods because we do not use them all that much anyways.

Wow , I guess I am outta the loop pretty bad, I know the Virus is going on. But I still goto work everyday, Stores have plenty on the shelf, not as much as pre Virus, but not out of much. Stay 6 feet from people, work out, play guitar,cut grass, Play guitar don't visit others much(talk from afar), watch Tiger King (realize I am much more normal than I thought).

I hope everyone is doing well, I did not read the whole post , just skimmed it. I hope everyone can get what they need and mostly what they want.

Lok

PS If you have more than you need please donate to those who have less , remember it not what you made its what you gave.

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I don't use mics at all anymore. In my small home studio, it doesn't make sense, They're a pain in the ass. My guitars, electric, acoustic electric and bass, all go directly from my small Blackstar 1 watt amp clean into my DAW. And then I go from there digitally.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix