Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss WAZA-Air New toy!!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this when it was announced. Expensive IMO. Neat idea but I'm not sure I wouldn't just get a small amp with a headphone jack and use that instead. At least it could be used for recording later too. I don't like being chained to an iPad/iPhone either.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Saw this when it was announced. Expensive IMO. Neat idea but I'm not sure I wouldn't just get a small amp with a headphone jack and use that instead. At least it could be used for recording later too. I don't like being chained to an iPad/iPhone either.

I have a few diifferent amps with headphone jacks. They are all pretty noisy, sound isn't that good - "too real" if that makes sense. I NEVER use the headphone jacks, just don't sound good.

I've got WI-FI and Bluettooth on my 2014 MacBook Pro, should be able to connect.

The Boss software is the same as used for the Katana amps, I have that. There are 60 effects on there, more or less. Really easy to use and great sounds of all sorts. No cables or stuff on the floor, LOVE that.

It looks like you CAN use an iPhone or iPad to run the software but maybe once it's programmed you can just plug the transmitter into the guitar, put the headphones on and rock out.

Brand new stuff is always spendy. When version 2 comes out they'll be flipping these right and left to get rid of them.

Plus, the used market has not had any chance to develop.

My experiences with Boss and relabiltiy have been stellar, their stuff keeps on ticking...

Not gonna run out and grab one, that's for sure!!! Something for us hide-a-ways to discuss while we wait for the end of world. :- D Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Pretty cool demo on YouTube...I could see having one if I lived in an apartment with thin walls...didn't check on the price though. :cool:

Sweetwater has it for $399.

For now, I will continue to play turned down low or on an acoustic.

I'd like to have one but not a need or even a compelling want.

Pretty sure we'll see other, similar prodcts soon. Competition makes things fair, well except for Behringer...

Neat idea but I'm not sure I wouldn't just get a small amp with a headphone jack and use that instead.

This is exactly what I do, small amp, headphone out into my mixing desk. I can play through studio monitors or headphones, depending on the time of day/evening.

:nopity:

@ Kuru, $399 is a lot more than I would pay. Maybe later if the prices come down. I really don't care to wear headphones while playing anyway...thanks for the info.

Like Motif Max and Davedoerfler, I can just plug in a set of headphones into my Roland Cube Street EX 50 phone jack. It cuts the main speakers off and since it can be used on AC or Battery, I can take it to the park and not bug anybody or play at home and run silent... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Larryz, I don't have a battery option but I do have a Rainsong guitar so temperature and humidity are not threats - at least not to the guitar.

At home I can go direct into my little studio rig and toss on any number of plugins if I want, with some nice headphones.

Mostly I just keep the volume down and play my Roland Cube 40gx or Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 (with upgraded speaker).

They both have more than enough tone and effects for me.

I am in a multi-unit condo with tenants on one side and above but the walls are not thin. Unless it's really late I can play at a reasonable volume - still pretty quiet.

I got playing loud out of my system a long time ago - have the hearing damage to prove it!!!!

Cheers, Kuru

@ Kuru, $399 is a lot more than I would pay. Maybe later if the prices come down. I really don't care to wear headphones while playing anyway...thanks for the info.

+1 I don't need one bad enough to pay $399.

However if I was gigging out or doing shows somewhere where there is very little warm up space, I would do like Larryz and get a Roland Cube Street EX 50 and use regular headphones which is more value for the extra money spent on the Roland Cube Street EX 50 only a hundred bucks more than the Boss WAZA-Air.

+1 I don't need one bad enough to pay $399.

However if I was gigging out or doing shows somewhere where there is very little warm up space, I would do like Larryz and get a Roland Cube Street EX 50 and use regular headphones which is more value for the extra money spent on the Roland Cube Street EX 50 only a hundred bucks more than the Boss WAZA-Air.

I would say "different value" rather than "more value". It depends on your happy place I guess.

We stream music to our PA with Bluetooth on breaks.

You could get a live performance headset for stage use and do the same thing with the WAZA-Air - go wireless.

The 50 plus Boss effects have some value, no? Even if they are only worrth $15 each (even though they have no moving parts to break), that is $750 in effects. More because I think there is actually 60 effects.

Yes, some of them are stupid and I don't like them. The fully tweakable noise gate is worth gold, so is the chorus with 7 adjustment parameters instead of the usual 3 on most pedals. All the delays are awesome and quite a few of the amp sims.

Sort of apples and oranges I guess. :- D

My Katana uses the same software, there are some great sounds in there and an unmatched simplicity to versatility ratio. I look at Line 6 and my mind starts swarming, I am still figurig out how to program my Vypyr.

I hopped on the Boss software for the Katana and started setting up patches in real time immediately, the learning curve was pretty flat and super easy. You could put the iPhone or iPad on your mic stand and use it for a "pedalboard".

Maybe not as easy as tweaking a few knobs, I'll give ya that one!!! Cheers, Kuru

Maybe not as easy as tweaking a few knobs, I'll give ya that one!!! Cheers, Kuru
I have no trouble tweaking anything, I once owned 30 hardware synths and samplers, as well as guitar to midi, I learned how to program each of those synths and samplers as well as the guitar to midi gear. Tweaking is not my problem truthfully, paying for gear is my problem, although we have savings, I do not want to spend any of that on gear since my playing out days are relatively over. But I am still trying to sell my Hot Rod Deluxe, after that is sold I will look into that Roland Cube Street EX 50 and see if that fits my purposes, otherwise the bread from that will go for another Egnater Tweaker, either 15 watt head or the 40 watt head. I have 2 cabs, each with an EVM 12L Speaker, one 200 watt, and one 300 watt handing capability (that I have been using since the mid to late 1980's) and they will handle anything either Tweaker could put out.

I have no trouble tweaking anything, I once owned 30 hardware synths and samplers, as well as guitar to midi, I learned how to program each of those synths and samplers as well as the guitar to midi gear. Tweaking is not my problem truthfully, paying for gear is my problem, although we have savings, I do not want to spend any of that on gear since my playing out days are relatively over. But I am still trying to sell my Hot Rod Deluxe, after that is sold I will look into that Roland Cube Street EX 50 and see if that fits my purposes, otherwise the bread from that will go for another Egnater Tweaker, either 15 watt head or the 40 watt head. I have 2 cabs, each with an EVM 12L Speaker, one 200 watt, and one 300 watt handing capability (that I have been using since the mid to late 1980's) and they will handle anything either Tweaker could put out.

Yep, I get it.

And... I used to have a Vox 4-12 cabinet with 2 EVM 12L speakers on top and 2 JBL D-120 speakers on the bottom. Put a Mesa Mk III Simul-Class head with reverb and EQ on top, set to Class A with two EL34s - the loudest 15 watts heard anywhere. Took 2 of us to get it in the van. Long since gone, took some of my hearing with it too!!!!

Those are great speakers, just too old and lazy to move them around anymore. Starting to really appreciate what a good 10" speaker can do. Cheers, Kuru

I am in a multi-unit condo with tenants on one side and above but the walls are not thin. Unless it's really late I can play at a reasonable volume - still pretty quiet.

I got playing loud out of my system a long time ago - have the hearing damage to prove it!!!!

Cheers, Kuru

Yep, I get it.

And... I used to have a Vox 4-12 cabinet with 2 EVM 12L speakers on top and 2 JBL D-120 speakers on the bottom. Put a Mesa Mk III Simul-Class head with reverb and EQ on top, set to Class A with two EL34s - the loudest 15 watts heard anywhere. Took 2 of us to get it in the van. Long since gone, took some of my hearing with it too!!!!

Kuru

Be careful and always protect your hearing Kuru...One thing to watch out for when wearing headphones, especially when they sound sooooo good, is people can't resist turning them up. You can hear them from across the room on someone else's head LOL! Sorry to hear you've had some hearing loss. I get tinnitus that bugs me off and on, but I still have pretty good hearing...

Take care, Larryz