Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Withers, 81

Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including ' Lean On Me, ' 'Lovely Day' and 'Ain"t No Sunshine,' has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81. - AP

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as usual, I'm the one who's going to say "hey, 81 is pretty good for a professional musician." Instead of focusing on the loss, I prefer to focus on the riches he gave us.

Speaking as a music fan rather than a keyboard player, it's hard to think of anyone who has affected me more than Withers. He's been all over my playlists for decades. If you haven't watched the documentary Still Bill, you should, it's a great insight into the man and his soul.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Damn really. That's terrible, man I am sorry. He got into the game late in life also with music as he was a NAVY mechanic for about 10 years before that.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

It's a loss he passed. Unfortunately we lost his songwriting and singing many years ago. Like in the 1970s. He retired and hid away.

Actually it was the 80's as he felt he wasn't being treated right by CBS. He just walked away from all of it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

It's a loss he passed. Unfortunately we lost his songwriting and singing many years ago. Like in the 1970s. He retired and hid away.

Actually it was the 80's as he felt he wasn't being treated right by CBS. He just walked away from all of it.

And big respect to him for doing right by himself.

If you haven't watched the documentary Still Bill, you should, it's a great insight into the man and his soul.
Agreed, it's a portrait of a sensitive soul who knew what he wanted and what he was willing to put up with. A gentle giant of the music world, and an astonishing songwriter, capable of crafting timeless classics out of chords, melodies, and lyrics that are so simple they make you think "Hey, I could do that." But you didn't. Bill Withers did.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The music of Bill Withers will live forever whether it is folks learning and playing "Lean on Me", cover bands jamming on "Use Me" and music producers digging in the crates to sample his songs. Thanks for the music. RIP Mr. Withers. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've frequently played "Ain't No Sunshine" at the weekly jam and "Use Me." At home I've played "Lean On Me." I am in Bill Withers' debt. Requiescat in pace, Mr. Withers.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

This one has sort of bummed me out in increasing waves through the day. Here's my FB post about it:

--------

Some heroes we mourn because they die too young, and some because their death means that we are old enough for them to have gone. Bill Withers is one of those, how can we be old enough for him to pass at a reasonable age? types. I spent a gazillion hours tracking down his records in my record-collecting days, and even sitting in the library clarifying information about his career when I heard competing narratives. His album cuts are where his poetry blooms, and I have always held him in my private pantheon as an artist.

"Whatever Happens" was the most grown-up "love" song I'd ever heard at the time, and left me sort of permanently gobsmacked from the first time I heard it. In fact in a way I've probably spent most of my songwriting career trying to put my own stamp on his multi-layered snapshot of love-as-it's-really-lived.

I always imagined "Hello Like Before" was the sequel to it; written with the same wise wistfulness that made him such an evocative artist. Listen to them in that order and lights will go on that you didn't know were even wired to work:

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This one has sort of bummed me out in increasing waves through the day. Here's my FB post about it:

--------

Some heroes we mourn because they die too young, and some because their death means that we are old enough for them to have gone. Bill Withers is one of those, how can we be old enough for him to pass at a reasonable age? types. I spent a gazillion hours tracking down his records in my record-collecting days, and even sitting in the library clarifying information about his career when I heard competing narratives. His album cuts are where his poetry blooms, and I have always held him in my private pantheon as an artist.

"Whatever Happens" was the most grown-up "love" song I'd ever heard at the time, and left me sort of permanently gobsmacked from the first time I heard it. In fact in a way I've probably spent most of my songwriting career trying to put my own stamp on his multi-layered snapshot of love-as-it's-really-lived.

I always imagined "Hello Like Before" was the sequel to it; written with the same wise wistfulness that made him such an evocative artist. Listen to them in that order and lights will go on that you didn't know were even wired to work:

Great tunes. Indeed, such mature perspectives. Awesome.

As someone else mentioned early in this thread, the documentary "Still Bill" is a great watch, as is "Black Godfather", the story of Clarence Avant who signed Bill to his Sussex label which released that fantastic first album.

Here'a another short special on that first record.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSdExXrAIE

From what I read of bill, he was quite a character. He never hired a manager, and didn't take any crap from anyone. He was his "own kinda man". He had no patience for Record Label exec's and no interest in recording "formula" songs. He got fed up with the BS in the record business and called it a career.

RIP Bill, you earned it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Use Me is probably in my Top 10 most favorite songs. The Clavinet track is the bedrock in such an incredible minimalistic recording.

And it wasn"t even part of the initial session, as per James Gadson in a Jake Feinberg Show interview. It was overdubbed later.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio