Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need Song Suggestions for Practice

Hello. This past years I've spent some of my practice time familiarizing myself with altered and diminished scales. Now I'm ready to advance that practice to song form.

What I'm looking for is a popular or standard song that has as its melody a passage of an altered scale over a dominant V chord moving to a I chord. Additionally, I'm looking for a popular or standard song that has as its melody a passage of a diminished scale over a dominant V chord moving to a I chord. The object here is for me to play the melody in my RH and chords in the LH and do it in all keys to further familiarize myself with the respective scales, hear them in a song setting, and when I am comfortable enough, try some improv using those scales.

As an example: when I want to practice major I-vi-ii-V-I, I use the first two measures of I Could Write a Book and play it in all keys and then improv over the chords using a major scale; when I want to practice minor i-vi-ii-V-i, I use the A section of Softly As In a Morning Sunrise, play it in all keys and improv over the chords using a harmonic minor scale.

Now I want to practice V-I (or V-i) that includes an altered scale and/or includes a diminished scale.

Thanks for your suggestions.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic