Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Wallace Roney

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/wallace-roney-death-covid-19/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Roney

Another jazz great leaves us too soon on account of an unexpected appointment with Coronavirus. Roney took lessons from Clark Terry and Dizzy Gillespie and studied with Miles Davis from 1985 until the latter's death in 1991. He was the only trumpet player Davis personally mentored.

I saw him play a few times, in different configurations. He's way too young to die from something as stupid as Coronavirus. But the same is true for a number of musicians and other creative individuals in the arts, who have left us recently.

This is kind of freaky, but I just spent the past few hours trying to emulate his tone on a few jazz tunes I wrote, needed to take a short break, and saw this as my first headline.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is tragic. I love his playing. By pure luck, I got to see/hear Roney live just once when he performed with the Miles Smiles band (with Joey Defrancesco, Robben Ford, Bill Evans, etc) in San Fran several years ago.